Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I reuse the stock bolts for the cylinder head.....if so how much can I torque it down to??? I can't buy arps seeing as im tight with money and I need my car asap..I have mods done to my car mostly exhaust and intake msd....I don't plan on going past 13 pounds of boost as it is my daily driver??? Can I reuse them and keep torqueing them down?

· A Happy Dad
2,346 Posts
sure reuse them, just give them 70 lbs or so but be prepared to do it more righter next time, use some slick lube on the washers too
Uh, what do you mean keep torquing them down, IMO they are not good like that, I actually posted a pic of one that deformed

· Registered
1989 7mgte swapped mk3
1,500 Posts
Also...before the head goes on make sure to put them in to ensure they go in smoothly. You want to make sure that they are truly tightened to 70 lbs. and not just hung up on something. Make sure the bolts are clean and there is no liquid or anything else in the block where the bolts go.

· Registered
737 Posts
From what i've read, I'm currently doing a BHG, just shipped my head to a shop today actually, but any from what I've read you can, but it's not good too b/c they stretch after they are torqued down once, I know I read somewhere that someone re-used them and it worked for a long time as long as you keep checking to make sure they are torqued. Idk if he was running as high boost as you will be but who knows just take care of the car and you should be good.

· A Happy Dad
2,346 Posts
Yea thanks guys I appreciate it....I don't beat on my car..don't race anybody I just love driving it...hate when it overheats lol...so I don't blow donuts or burnout or whatever...so I should be good?
near redline or above is what blows a head gasket 99 44/100% of the time, read into that what you want.
I don't think retorquing does any good at all anymore, I used to think so but changed my mind

· Registered
6,774 Posts
I have no money for anything lol...
I don't believe that they're that expensive at all. I've been laid off for about 7 months now and I have no money at all...infact I'm way in the red, but I'd find a way to get new bolts. If you need to put it back together with the old ones I guess go ahead, but if I were you as soon as I had the money I'd replace them with something decent. ARP Studs>ARP Bolts>New OEM>Old OEM

· Supra Dead Head
620 Posts
They're stretch bolt. Do not reuse them. Not enough money for ARPs? No problem...go to Toyota and get a new set of OEM bolt.

Don't reuse the old ones.
like he said they are stretch bolts. Once they are torqued down and ran threw a heat cylce they are as good as tits on a bull. They will never hold the right amount of torque for long.

Your only choice to save the $100 and go to toyota.

If you dont get new ones then its going to cost you more money in the long run bortha

· Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So they won't work?? I mean I kno they stretch and all that but is it really that bad?..how long do you think the headgasket will last with the old bolts??they were bought brand new and the headgasket didn't even last 2000 miles

· Registered
156 Posts
when i pulled mine during my hg fix the bolts were stretched a lot, dont know if they were reused but the car was worked on before i got it, would hate to see another BHG due to stretched worn bolts. if the bolts are out how do they look?? like i said mine had a good 2 threads worth of stretching. apr bolts are under $100

Kev

· Registered
6,774 Posts
So they won't work?? I mean I kno they stretch and all that but is it really that bad?..how long do you think the headgasket will last with the old bolts??they were bought brand new and the headgasket didn't even last 2000 miles
So there was a HG once before and it blew after 2k miles? Do you want to take that risk again and have 3 BHGs in 6k miles? Do it right once and never have to do it again. From what you say it sounds like you don't beat the shit out of your car, but then there is the otherside of taking really good care of it. You only used the bolts for 2k miles but they still stretched.

Stretch bolts are like virgin pussy...once it's used, it's used.

· Supra Dead Head
620 Posts
Its kinda like having a long fuse thats lit on one end and sooner or later its gunna get to that TNT and when its does...boom mang.

but really i dont know how long they will last and if somone does then they are lying to you.

That HG might not have lasted that long because the bolts were never re-torqued.

You see when you torque them down the first time they are set and it will run great. but when the engine gets hot then cold hot then cold and so forth (from normal driving) its natural for the bolts to become a little looser. This is why you must re-torque them.

but your bolts where installed original most likly re-torqued at some point in time,Now you have removed them and your going to install them again...then re-torque them again... it all goes back to the fuse being lit man.

· Supra Dead Head
620 Posts
Ok so use them just retorque them?...pretty much??this is temporary until I can atleast get some cash together to buy arps and the parents are bugging me to get it outta the driveway
I would'nt recommend it, does mean it wont work. Its pretty much your choice i feel that i educated enough about it so its your call now.

Did you have machine work done ?

· (◕_◕)
8,453 Posts
Don't re-use stock headbolts, that is most fucking dumbest thing you could ever do to a engine. Plan on blowing the headgasket again if you do this, even if you torque them down they wont ever be right, they are stretch bolts, which means they are pretty much one time use. The oem bolts cost 75 bucks from toyota last I knew.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.