Supra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran a nearly stock Gen 1 1995 Viper RT/10 the other night (on a closed road course). He was a good driver and got a particularly strong example from the factory. Lots of mags tested those at around 13 flat in the 1/4 mile. He's been able to get his to do 12 flat with just an exhaust. Anyway, from the low rolls or the one race we did from a stop, his huge skill and torque advantage had him jumping out 2-3 cars pretty quickly and pulling from there. Roll on races from 80MPH were a lot closer. I remember on one I got the jump (1/2 a car maybe). He then hit it and I remember thinking it took forever for him to overtake me. It was probably just a few seconds but I was shocked at how long it took. He did eventually appear out my side window and creep past but I was stoked at the margin between my litlle sedan and that purpose-built sports car. I need about 30 more RWHP/TQ and probably some wider rear tires to give him a real good race.

Kevin

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
Wow, I cant wait to race a car like that (After my upgrades durring christmas) that is a really cool story man! BTW nice car!

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. It was fun. I heard a tuner is working on a pulley mod that will give the C32 AMG Porsche 996TT type acceleration. I guess it will put down close to 400 RWHP. The car only weighs around 3,500 lbs. so it should be capable of running the 1/4 mile at around [email protected] MPH or so. The 300 RWHP stock C32s have broken into the 12's ([email protected]). I'm really looking forward to seeing that R&D progress so I can get the mod by Spring.

Kevin

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For what its worth, I just found out that the Vipers complete list of mods is:
Smooth Tubes
S&B Filter
Balanger cat-back exhaust

Not just the exhaust as I'd initially thought.

Kevin

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
kevin good kill/death
would this happen to be one of the guys from the meet last sat? i was looking at some action from some of the viper guys and had no takers

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes. This was one of the red RT/10s that came a little laer in the day. The Viper guys really like to get out after 9PM and have some fun. Shoot me an email and I'll try to get in touch with you the next time they get out together at night.

Kevin

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Red2 said:
I bet a e55 or sl55 would spank it. Nice run tho.
Especially from a highway roll. This guy is a good driver so he knows how to get the hole shot. Any of the S/C'd V8 or turbo'd 12 cyl. AMGs would walk it pretty good over 30 MPH.

Kevin

·
Registered
122 Posts
JaxFL said:
For what its worth, I just found out that the Vipers complete list of mods is:
Smooth Tubes
S&B Filter
Balanger cat-back exhaust

Not just the exhaust as I'd initially thought.

Kevin
Was he racing on street tires or slicks? Theres virtually no way he could put down 12.0 ETs on street tires with only those mods. I think there may be more than meets the eye here :) The Gen 1 Vipers were rated at ~400 crank HP. Those mods probably gave him about 35-45hp tops, which would still put him at or around 435-445 crank HP, which is still less HP and god only knows how much Torque than the Gen 2 Viper.

To put this into perspective for you, my 2000 Viper RT/10 went [email protected] in bone stock trim. To my knowledge and after checking with VCA, it is the quickest and fastest time i can find for a bone stock Gen 2 Viper. Most Gen 2s seem to hover in the vicinity of 12.0-12.3 and between 118-120mph. The 2nd gen Vipers were 450HP/490 TQ. :)

Darril

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Darril,

He had street tires on it at the time I saw the car not sure about what he did at the track. He said that he basically got a monster from the factory. For whatever reason there are those differences between cars in the same production line. Perhaps he got the strongest gen 1 RT/10 that ever rolled off the factory floor, who knows. My car is supposed to do about the same ET with 6-8 less MPH in the trap speed than his would in stock trim. So I guess the race results weren't too far from what one could expect.

Kevin

ForceFed7 said:
Was he racing on street tires or slicks? Theres virtually no way he could put down 12.0 ETs on street tires with only those mods. I think there may be more than meets the eye here :) The Gen 1 Vipers were rated at ~400 crank HP. Those mods probably gave him about 35-45hp tops, which would still put him at or around 435-445 crank HP, which is still less HP and god only knows how much Torque than the Gen 2 Viper.

To put this into perspective for you, my 2000 Viper RT/10 went [email protected] in bone stock trim. To my knowledge and after checking with VCA, it is the quickest and fastest time i can find for a bone stock Gen 2 Viper. Most Gen 2s seem to hover in the vicinity of 12.0-12.3 and between 118-120mph. The 2nd gen Vipers were 450HP/490 TQ. :)

Darril

·
Registered
36 Posts
tubes and air filters about 5-10 hp, belanger cat back, probably 5 hp if lucky.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Nice!

My friend who's a road race instructor has a really sweet C32 AMG (done up now with 19" rims, lowering, etc.). That thing launched crisply and the drama-free press in the back was surreal. The fast sedan I rode before (and loved) was a GS430 but the C32 really upped the bar in certain areas.

I heard the AMG C-sedan will soon get an NA 5.4L V8. I don't think it's going to be any faster. Maybe MB wants to have a V8 just for the sake of having a V8 with the intro of the S4 4.2 V8 and CTS-v 5.7L V8.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
STAGED said:
Nice!

The fast sedan I rode before (and loved) was a GS430 but the C32 really upped the bar in certain areas.

I heard the AMG C-sedan will soon get an NA 5.4L V8. I don't think it's going to be any faster. Maybe MB wants to have a V8 just for the sake of having a V8 with the intro of the S4 4.2 V8 and CTS-v 5.7L V8.
My last car was a GS400 and this C32 really does get away from it quickly. They are putting an NA V8 into the C32's successor (C55). They seem to be moving away from supercharging for future projects. The C32 is way easier to mod up than the NA C55 will be. It should be a very nice car though. Its funny how quickly things change with MB. Way back in 2002 the C32 was hailed as the fastest accelerating MB ever sold in the US. Now there are several models that better its times.

Kevin

·
Super Moderator
10,535 Posts
JaxFL said:
My last car was a GS400 and this C32 really does get away from it quickly. They are putting an NA V8 into the C32's successor (C55). They seem to be moving away from supercharging for future projects. The C32 is way easier to mod up than the NA C55 will be. It should be a very nice car though. Its funny how quickly things change with MB. Way back in 2002 the C32 was hailed as the fastest accelerating MB ever sold in the US. Now there are several models that better its times.

Kevin
Nice car Kevin, and I agree with all of your comments. I have a brilliant silver metallic "02 C32 and I have surprised a few people with it. Because of my job, I really can't be seen posting kill stories with my Supra or the C32, but my Mayor (retired CHP) purchased a '01 auto C5 for his wife (active duty CHP) and he and I got on it at about 30 mph leaving a stoplight. I jumped him by a nose and it stayed that way until we got out it at about 85. Surprised the both of us.

I'd be interested in what you know about the proposed upgrades for the car. PM me if you like.

Ken.

·
Registered
122 Posts
JaxFL said:
Darril,

He had street tires on it at the time I saw the car not sure about what he did at the track. He said that he basically got a monster from the factory. For whatever reason there are those differences between cars in the same production line. Perhaps he got the strongest gen 1 RT/10 that ever rolled off the factory floor, who knows. My car is supposed to do about the same ET with 6-8 less MPH in the trap speed than his would in stock trim. So I guess the race results weren't too far from what one could expect.

Kevin
Kevin, i think he may be decietful about some other mod(s). I've been an active member over at Viper Club of America since 2000, and have attended many New England VCA meets before i moved down here. If his Gen 1 Viper does infact run low 12s with only those mods, it would have to be the first Gen 1 i have ever seen run that low of a time and trap that high with only those mods, and to put that into perspective i have raced/rode in/ and watched literally hundreds of Gen 1 and Gen 2 Vipers at Lime Rock park and Lebanon Valley Speedway in Upstate NY. I'm certainly no stranger to them :)

My professional opinion is that he is keeping something from you, but what do i know.......? :)

Darril

1 - 18 of 18 Posts