Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I measured the backpressure I'm getting from this turbo and am wanting to compare the a/r to other turbos so I know where to go in an upgrade. You can see from my sig what I'm using it on...

·
wha huh?
952 Posts
your sig did not show up, you have it turned off...just give us your power/curve goals and we can match you up with a good turbo. Either way, you are going to get backpressure from a turbo, but just substitute with boost, hehehe...HTH

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm trying to find where to turn it on...sorry.
I know I'll have backpressure. I'm just trying to find a good compromise btwn backpressure, good exhaust flow past the turbine, full boost capability by 1/2 way into the rpm range, ect...
It's on a 94 V6 Camaro(3.4L or ~207 cu in). I figured since supra owners seem to have tons of experience with turbos you'd be good people to ask.
Well, I'm wanting in the 400 hp range in the 15-20psi range. The stock hp peak for this engine N/A is around 4500rpm, so I would think getting a turbo that makes it's best effieciency from 3000-4500 or so would be a good idea. But then I also don't want it to run out of flow up to 6000 rpm. Although this is a street car so only top end isn't the best option. I talked with one place and they told me a TO4-E/T3 46 trim comp, stage III turbine w/ a .63 a/r turbine housing would be the turbo for me. What do ya'll think?
Here's a couple of links of what I've done w/ the CT-26.
http://www.geocities.com/mustang732/images/turbo/recent/index.htm
http://www.geocities.com/mustang732/94_camaro.htm

·
wha huh?
952 Posts
tiny tiny...that would explain its immense lack of top-end power...

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Which are you calling tiny tiny? The stock housing or the TO4-E 46? I've seen a lot of you guys upgrade to a TO4-E 60. From my looking at compressor maps, based on displacement, that one seems a little big in that it's boost threashold would be a little high and not make boost as soon.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Not the most knowledgable turbo guy on here, but Id figure somewhere around a .6something a/r turbo would be about right. Im sure alot of guys in here can help you for sure.

Also, if your trying to put a pic in your sig. First, type

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
Trust me, thier is practicaly no lag with the ct-26 60-1 upgrade, it is the best upgrade i have ever dont to my car... and it flows WELL....

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks ma70man

Well I wouldn't upgrade the CT-26. I would just get a whole new turbo. I made the flange for putting the CT-26 on my car so I'm not worryed about making another one. Do you know if an upgraded CT-26 to a 60 is identical on the compressor side to the characteristics of a TO4-E 60? It also looks like from the compressor maps that a 60 would do the same job at a lower turbine speed than a 46(which is what one place told me I should buy from them). I was sold on the 46 as it seems like as boost would increase it would pass through the most efficient islands on the compressor map, but then the 60 is more efficient over all, the only thing I'm worryed about is what I've read about boost threashold in a turbo that is too big(on the compressor side).

Oh, wait. I just saw that you said a 60-1 upgrade. Isn't that a TO4-B compressor? 60-1 and 62-1 I think is a TO4-B. The one I was talking about was a TO4-E 60.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So what do ya'll think?
Could you help me out with the turbo sizing for my engine?

·
wha huh?
952 Posts
i meant the CT-26 btw, not the T04...400 rwhp is doable with simply a CT upgrade, and its dirt cheap ($450) and you will exerience almost no lag on that motor, and decent pull through the RPM band...HTH

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What upgrade would you recommend? A 60-1? 60-2? Some other TO4-E upgrade?

·
wha huh?
952 Posts
60-1 seems to be the most popular, some do 62-1, but thats asking for bearing/shaft trouble

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
A CT26 upgraded to a 60-trim literally HAS a T04E 60-trim Garrett wheel inside. The physical size of the CT26 compressor housing, as I understand it, is smaller than the housing where the T04E wheels are generally used. There is much debate over how much effect this would have when plotting the curves on a compressor map. Your assumption that the 60 would move the same amount of air at a lower shaft speed than the 46 is correct. The charged air will be cooler too. The only real "downside" is slightly slower spool up, but the upgraded CTs26s spool up relatively quickly anyways. And yes, the 60-1 is a T04B.

I highly recommend taking a look at this thread. You should try some of the calculations using your engine size, rpm range and volumetric efficiency to see which wheel is best for you. If I had to take a stab in the dark, I would say 60-trim or smaller would be good for your application as I'm assuming you'll be running relatively low boost.

·
boost freak
10,042 Posts
something bigger.

upgrading the CT is stupid for a number of reasons:

1. the shaft/bearings of the CT are NOT made to handle the added mass of a larger compressor....coupld that w/the increased shaft speed of people running more boost and you're asking for it...

2. stuffing a larger compressor into a SMALL housing that has been machined out for it creates LOTS of heat.....

3. the stock CT's bottleneck is the turbine, flowing more air only magnifies this
3a. no, clipping the turbine doesn't solve this. turbine clipping is a band-aid for a larger problem- TOO SMALL of a turbine. clipping the turbine drastically alters its characteristics and kills efficiency...

just MNSHO....

·
Boost-a-holic
555 Posts
i run a 60/10clip and it goes like a raped ape...

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for that link. Had some good info in it.
Well I've been doing some calculations on my own. I set up some graphs of the flow rate my engine needs at different boost levels. I used 80% VE and ambient temp of 85, and a comp. eff. of 74% just for a good average.

There are 6 graphs, one for 7, 15, 20, 22, and 25 psi.
I also put some lines on compressor maps of the 60-1, 62-1, to4e-46, and to4e-60. The colors represent different boost levels:
violet: 7psi
blue: 10psi
green: 15psi
yellow: 20psi
orange: 22psi
red: 25psi

The first vertical line of each color is the flow rate at 3000rpm, and the second is at 6000rpm.

What do you think? My motor is stock for now so I don't think I could get away with running much more than 15psi, but I have another motor just like it that I'll rebuild w/ forged lower compression ratio pistons once I figure out how low I need to make it. The stock ratio is 9:1. Which compressor would be a good match? The 46 has better low pressure/low speed eff., but the 60 has better high pressure/high speed. The 60-1 and 62-1 don't seem to be good matches since everything is to the left of the middle island.

http://www.geocities.com/mustang732/images/turbo/compmaps/

Thanks.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
since your engine is a v6, why not do a twin turbo setup?

it would probably be easier than what you have already done

you can run 2 ct26s, and have a lot more high end room, and probably not to much loss in the low rpm

3,796 Posts
2 stock ct's would be interesting....

1 - 20 of 31 Posts