Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much louder is the aftermarket DP vs the stock?

·
function > form
512 Posts
I barely noticed a difference between stock and BIC DDP. Of course, I still have a stock cat-back. A test pipe doesn't make it much louder either, if you have the stock exhaust. It just sounds a little deeper and slightly raspy. I'm very happy with it, and can definitely enjoy the exhaust tone until I get a cat-back. If you already have a cat-back, the exhaust should sound a little throatier/raspier with a 3" DP.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
90beater said:
I barely noticed a difference between stock and BIC DDP. Of course, I still have a stock cat-back. A test pipe doesn't make it much louder either, if you have the stock exhaust. It just sounds a little deeper and slightly raspy. I'm very happy with it, and can definitely enjoy the exhaust tone until I get a cat-back. If you already have a cat-back, the exhaust should sound a little throatier/raspier with a 3" DP.
I went full 3" for a while, but didn't replace the elbow at the time. It was super loud though.

Will the elbow will quiet things down?

·
function > form
512 Posts
I was in that situation before. Elbow was the last thing I did on my old car. It will make the turbo more audible. I just slapped on my DDP a few days ago, and the turbo sounds great. The best thing to do is buy a downpipe that already has the elbow, like a BIC or Cooleeze. I was impressed with the quality in the BIC I recently got.

·
Registered
625 Posts
well running open stock downpipe is really loud! And running open 3" downpipe is REALLY loud! lol I dunno if I could really tell the diffrence because I didnt do them at the same time but Im pretty sure the 3" was quite a bit louder and I know it was deffintly a diffrent tone.

·
Powderin my balls since07
2,175 Posts
really depends on ur exhaust...but if ur putting it on a stock exhaust...just a tad bit louder...cus u still have a lotta restriction....

·
function > form
512 Posts
Basically, if you're running a stock cat-back then don't worry about noise. It's the cat-back and muffler that make the noise. Once you've done that, then it will only get louder as you do DP and TP. I'd really recommend a DP with an integrated elbow, if you're looking for one right now.

·
No boost? No V8? No care!
53 Posts
90beater said:
I was in that situation before. Elbow was the last thing I did on my old car. It will make the turbo more audible. I just slapped on my DDP a few days ago, and the turbo sounds great. The best thing to do is buy a downpipe that already has the elbow, like a BIC or Cooleeze. I was impressed with the quality in the BIC I recently got.
I just installed my BIC DP a week ago, and it does make the turbo much more audible! However, like everyone else said, I can't believe the exhuast will be any louder if you are still running the stock cat-back.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
I run a 3" BIC DP and a full 3" exhaust after that, including a Borla straight-through muffler. It's pretty loud.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
What one consideres to be loud may be what someone else considers to be quiet.

Put it on and see for yourself how loud it is. :)

·
ƒ=1/2π(√k/m)
10,143 Posts
Back when I first got my "all in one" DP, back before BIC made them, the second I started to crank the engine I could hear it was already louder.

It was a more hallow sound coming from the turbo side, but after that it was pretty much similar.

I've also noticed the larger the turbo's I get, the quieter my exhaust note is.
Since the turbine is just a BIG muffler. :)

·
239RWHP @ 9PSI
1,882 Posts
i got the ddp but im thinking about welding on my stock muffler. cause i love the sleeper look. :) hoping the sound would be good!

·
MKIII Obsession
516 Posts
why not just replace your cat (or test pipe) with a electric cutout? that way you could have the stock cat-back and you can go open DP with the push of a button.

·
Registered
625 Posts
zeroOne said:
why not just replace your cat (or test pipe) with a electric cutout? that way you could have the stock cat-back and you can go open DP with the push of a button.

We think alike! thats what Im trying to do right now with a bic ddp and stock exh. Any ides on where to get a electric cutout?

·
ƒ=1/2π(√k/m)
10,143 Posts
zeroOne said:
Just something else to break and stop working. :-\

That was the way I was going to go too, but just never did.

·
what would jesus drift?
987 Posts
MK3Brent said:
Just something else to break and stop working. :-\

That was the way I was going to go too, but just never did.

yah but it's really nice to have at the dyno or track.. just makes you stand out that much more :rofl:

·
IFLYLO
301 Posts
my old exhaust consist of a Suprasport elbow, a custom mandrel bent cat eliminating downpipe, and a Kakimoto Hyper 2000 N1 single exhaust. it was way too loud for my taste. the only thing that was muffling the noise was the turbo and N1 muffler and, suffice to say, that was not enough for me. it sounded mean as hell at WOT, though.

·
239RWHP @ 9PSI
1,882 Posts
stratoayu said:
buy one of Bic;s cut outs then. all u have to do is unbolt the cover.
i am thinking about getting that.. but do you lose power with it bolted on? since it is getting push to one hole then bounces back then goes out the muffler?

and cant you get cancer? :1poke: lol

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
driftedmk3 said:
i am thinking about getting that.. but do you lose power with it bolted on? since it is getting push to one hole then bounces back then goes out the muffler?

and cant you get cancer? :1poke: lol

What do you mean by cancer? Rust? lol.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts