Supra Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 1995 JDM auto Supra and is running too rich and won't rev more then 4000 rpm and makes huge black smoke ,Check engine on and Slip Cont off on too , Tried another ECU but won't start
Ours is 18661-14490 ,now I got one 18661-14491 from an another Auto JDM 2jzgte but won't start .
Are ECU's interchangeable ??

Thanks
Roger

·
From the land down under
5,176 Posts
Plugs are massively different between non vvti and vvti, so they wouldnt plug in.

Maybe the replacement ECU has an immobiliser function??

Does the car crank when you turn the key?

·
Registered
473 Posts
Some later model Aristo 2JZ-GTE VVT-i ECUs did have an immobilizer function. I don't know which ones but there is a big thread here listing many Supra MKIV and Aristo ECU part numbers.

Assuming it is not that... and going back to your original ECU that gave you trouble... it is possible that it has worn out capacitors. I would recommend contacting SIA Electronics or Tanin Auto Electronix to get it serviced with the same value and brand capacitors as OEM if you are in the USA. If you're outside the U.S. then there is most certainly an ECU repair company who can help you out anddo exactly the same service.

Bad/bulging or leaking capacitors has been a known issue with many 1990's Toyota/Lexus ECUs. Usually only with non-VVT-i ECUs but in your case the symptoms warrant getting the service done anyway. Usually this corrects the issues, assuming there is no or very little trace repair needed.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Some later model Aristo 2JZ-GTE VVT-i ECUs did have an immobilizer function. I don't know which ones but there is a big thread here listing many Supra MKIV and Aristo ECU part numbers.

Assuming it is not that... and going back to your original ECU that gave you trouble... it is possible that it has worn out capacitors. I would recommend contacting SIA Electronics or Tanin Auto Electronix to get it serviced with the same value and brand capacitors as OEM if you are in the USA. If you're outside the U.S. then there is most certainly an ECU repair company who can help you out anddo exactly the same service.

Bad/bulging or leaking capacitors has been a known issue with many 1990's Toyota/Lexus ECUs. Usually only with non-VVT-i ECUs but in your case the symptoms warrant getting the service done anyway. Usually this corrects the issues, assuming there is no or very little trace repair needed.
I would very much NOT recommend sending a MKIV Toyota Supra ECU to SIA Electronics because I've used them and they fixed nothing. Tanin Auto Electronix I know nothing about. Relentless in Texas can fix them

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Sia electronics helped me out with a gs430 with rough shifting automatic to first gear which is a well known problem due to ecu living in the engine bay. $120 later and the car shifts fine! Good luck with yours.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts