Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I just found out the hard way that the stock shroud and the PWR radiator do not mix. I have started to rev the car now that the motor is past 1k miles and the first time I revved to 5k the fan munched my new shroud. I have a new fan clutch, fan and shroud. So all was in good shape and securely bolted down. I also broke two blades off the fan. At least it didn't ruin the radiator, although at this point I don't really give a F.

I guess I have to run the FAL's now :dunno:

·
MKIII Owner and Dam proud
367 Posts
I have rad I picked up at local part store. I also use dual hayden 10" fans.
I installed this after redoing the head gasket. Ran nice and cool even without shroud.

·
Premium Member
5,301 Posts
chevyeater-on-sf said:
Motormounts?

Exactly right! It has nothing to do with the PWR other than the fact that it is thicker and moves it closer to the fan. If your mounts or old are worn, the motor will torque more than it's supposed to and it will eat the shroud to pieces.

If everything else is running proper and installed good, the PWR and stock shroud and fan will work fine. I had it that way for over a year.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks for the input guys. The motor mounts are new stock mounts. The engine doesn't look like it moves much when you rev it, but :dunno:

Anyway, deciding now on having a local shop fabricate an aluminum shroud or just bite the bullet and get EL fans (which I'm not wild about).

The only other thing I can think of is the fan clutch. It is an aftermarket Hayden unit (also new). Maybe it is slightly deeper than the stock clutch. This one is 2.25 inches as measured from the floor to where the fan bolts to the front of it. If anyone could measure a stock Toyota clutch they have laying around I would really appreciate it!

Thanks
Dale

1 - 11 of 11 Posts