Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recenly just gone through 5 $20 a piece 12v 100w fog light bulbs in the past couple months and i am tired of it!!!!

I know i am suppose to use 55w bulbs but they are yellow, even though they say they are hyper white.... 100w bulbs are VERY bright and VERY white, and i love the way they look, but they just don't last long on our cars:(

any possible way to wire something up to where i can use 100w bulbs safely with the stock fog light system??

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
the 100w bulbs arent frying your stock wiring???

what kinda bulbs are you buying that keep burning out?

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
flubyux2 said:
the 100w bulbs arent frying your stock wiring???

what kinda bulbs are you buying that keep burning out?
i can't remember what kind they are, i get them from a local import shop, and i always throw away the packaging... dammit i wish there was some way to get these to work without burning out so quickly :(

·
Dr Wheelspin Rh.D.
4,393 Posts
Go to Pep Boys or Radio Shack and buy a fog light 30amp relay and wire your stock fog light power to switch the relay. Then run some nice 8 or 10 gauge wire straight from the battery to the relay and on to the fog lights. That will take care of wiring issues, if any.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bishop92T said:
Go to Pep Boys or Radio Shack and buy a fog light 30amp relay and wire your stock fog light power to switch the relay. Then run some nice 8 or 10 gauge wire straight from the battery to the relay and on to the fog lights. That will take care of wiring issues, if any.
thanks, i'll have to try that! :D

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MKNTRAXX said:
I ran street glow 100w bulbs in my car with no problems
are these actual 100w? because pep boys sells some fogs that they advertise as 100w, but in all reality they are 55....

look under the fog bulb, on the metal ring around it, it should say "12v 100w" thats how u know if its actually 100w

·
ƒ=1/2π(√k/m)
9,994 Posts
Jayson.

:) Take out your fogs, and use the holes to feed your engine bay some cool air.... you know, to cool off that NAWWZZZZ.

JK.

Using a relay, and a battery source, and a switch, you can do what Bishop said.. 30AMPS? Or so....

Give that a wuurrrlllll

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
MK3Brent said:
Jayson.

:) Take out your fogs, and use the holes to feed your engine bay some cool air.... you know, to cool off that NAWWZZZZ.

JK.

Using a relay, and a battery source, and a switch, you can do what Bishop said.. 30AMPS? Or so....

Give that a wuurrrlllll
haha, yes, that might just fix the burning smell i get when on the bottle ;) but yea i'm gonna head to pep boys in a bit and see what i can't find.....then i gotta buy some more bulbs :(

·
Registered
451 Posts
Are you handleing the bulbs with your bare fingers?
I remember burning out several headlight bulbs in my
caugh...honda ...caugh....because each time I was changing them with my bare hands. They would last like a month or so. Changed with a glove on and never had a problem again.
Maybe??

Steve

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
steve_mk3 said:
Are you handleing the bulbs with your bare fingers?
I remember burning out several headlight bulbs in my
caugh...honda ...caugh....because each time I was changing them with my bare hands. They would last like a month or so. Changed with a glove on and never had a problem again.
Maybe??

Steve
hell no, i know that fingerprings and xenon bulbs are a no no

but thanks for the pointer anyways :)

·
JDMSoopraDriftoMachine!!1
925 Posts
I keep loosing fog bulbs, but I belive its because the housing keeps coming loose and cracking them around. I'm about to switch to an aftermarket driving light, see if it helps any.

·
helps you jump higher
945 Posts
I am not sure how but one day I notice my driver side one was smashed in and I knew this kid who's dad worked at PIAA so I got some PIAA's on there for pretty cheap, I'll see if I can find some pics of them at night, a lot better than stock.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
most aftermarket "hyper white bulbs" are 55 watts but the color shade they produce is that of 100watts. They do something to the filament which makes them burn brighter but not last as long. They produce lots of heat and burn out quick. I had a set that were really white in my fogs as well but lasted only 2 months. The local kragen auto parts store has true 100watt h3 bulbs for the fog lights and they're a lot brighter than the 55watts. But have the same problem - heat. Those lasted a few months and burned out as well. They even had 15watt L1156's for the front turn signal lights, but those got so hurt, they melted my corner lense.

·
I want to believe
1,536 Posts
I doubt its a wiring issue, or the wires would melt and you wouldnt be able to get even the new bulbs to work.

For what its worth, I use the 100watt ones, cause I like the white look over the yellowish stock ones, and I just live with changing them every couple of months:D

Only mine cost 5 bucks a peice...not 20.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OneWingedAngel said:
I doubt its a wiring issue, or the wires would melt and you wouldnt be able to get even the new bulbs to work.

For what its worth, I use the 100watt ones, cause I like the white look over the yellowish stock ones, and I just live with changing them every couple of months:D

Only mine cost 5 bucks a peice...not 20.
PLEASE.... more info on these 5 dollar 100 watt h3's!!! :(

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well phuk, maybe its the brand i'm using that sucks, cuz they burn up within less than a month

1 - 20 of 21 Posts