Supra Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Earlier this year I ordered a replacement carpet set from Stock Interiors. I opted for the Ultra Plush Cut Pile color 1066 as I Iiked the plush feel and the color was closest to my original carpet. I also paid extra for the rubberized backing, thinking that it would help with road noise. If I were to do it over, I would not get the rubberized backing as it makes the carpet very stiff and difficult to install. I would just get the carpet without the backing and maybe put a thin layer of self stick noise insulation under it. Anyway, although they tell you that minor trimming might be necessary, it turns out that a LOT of trimming has to be done. I started with the rear carpet, and although it took a lot of trial fitting and trimming, I got that installed and looking nice. The front comes in one huge piece that also needs considerable trimming, and is virtually impossible to work with, so I cut it down the middle, as the center part is hidden under the center console anyway. The passenger side went in reasonably well, and looks good. Then I began to try to fit the driver's side by placing the vinyl heel pad in the center and working from there. It did not fit at all. I then tried to work from the left hand "frame rail" and the dead pedal bump. I discovered that the vinyl heel pad was not in the correct position. It is too far to the right and runs up the side of the transmission tunnel.

Here is the carpet cut in half but not trimmed:

The heel pad should be about 4 inches to the left, beginning under the bump for the dead pedal left foot rest as you can see in this photo of the original carpet:

The Stock Interior carpet installed:

As you can see, it is not centered in the foot well as it should be. The left hand side of the heel pad should be below the "dead pedal" bump. Also, there is no vinyl pad for the "dead pedal" or on the tunnel adjacent to the accelerator pedal as on the original.

Sent these photos to Stock Interiors. They asked me some questions, and today I received an email saying that since I cut the carpet, they would not accept a return, and would not replace it. What, they would accept a return of the incorrect carpet and then turn around and sell it to some other victim?

So I am very unhappy with this situation. I have a neighbor who has a carpet installation business. I may ask him if it is possible to cut out the heel pad, and use carpet tape or maybe some other backing applied with perhaps construction adhesive of similar to patch in the heel pad in the correct position along with another piece of scrap carpet. If anyone has any other suggestions I would welcome hearing from you.

So if anyone is thinking about new carpet, I would not order it from Stock Interiors as they do NOT offer a carpet that is really "specifically made for the exact make, model and year of your car". They also do not offer any sort of follow up customer service to rectify any faults or mistakes in their products.

If anything changes, I report it in this space.

So "Buyer Beware".

Capt Bob

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK, it turns out that the carpet set was originally supplied to Stock Interiors by ACC mats. I called them, and they said that they could do nothing and I had to deal with Stock Interiors. I was hoping perhaps they would sell me just the front section, but they said no since they order from their manufacturer by complete sets. ACC is also the company that is used by George at Raptor Racing. I believe that ACC usually supplies a good product, and I just got a bad one. If I had noticed it before I began trimming, Stock Interiors would have replaced it. At this point I think I will put the original carpet back in on the driver's side to get the car back on the road, and perhaps ask my neighbor with the carpet business his opinion on trying to modify it. My advice is to purchase directly from Raptor Racing and support George, or directly from ACC mats. Inspect the carpet carefully before doing any trimming in case it is done wrong.

Bob

1 - 2 of 2 Posts