Supra Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
How does my exhaust smell
1,002 Posts
Wheel widening will affect the offset. Offset is defined as the distance between the centerline of the wheel (width wise), and the wheel backspace (mounting surface). Widening the wheel will increase the positive offset by a factor of ([additional width in inches] / 2 ) * 25.4 (for inch to mm conversion.

Example
Stock rear offset is +50mm
If you wide 1" you get
( 1 / 2 ) * 25.4 = 12.7mm
so the new offset is 62.7mm

Widening the stock wheels will not make the offset "incorrect", however it could make the wheel rub against the outer fender if it is widened too much.

I ran 18x9.5 to 18x11 widened 1-piece cast aluminum wheels for a little over a year, and never had any issues. As I understand it, those wheels are still performing flawlessly under some other Supra right now.

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
I've been looking at getting my rears widened and assumed that I could tell them the specs/offset that I'd like to end up with and go from there. They no longer make my wheels and they're 17x8, but I'd like to go to a 17x10.5...

ama0787,
Do you already have a place in mind...? Recommendations?

·
1,002 Posts
You are correct. Widening the wheel in this fashion will put more of the tire under the car. The only clearance you would be considered with in that case is the inner body of the car if you go too wide.

MyCarIsSlow said:
More positive offset will not cause the tire to rub the fender if one follows your example to a T.

·
1,002 Posts
ama0787 said:
bad4urheart

did you ever do very high speeds with these wills? 160+? and owuld you consider those speeds dangerous with the wheels?...also thanks for the advice so far
With those wheels I have had the car over 150 (of course I was in Germany on a private road course!!) . I was not the less bit concerned about the widened wheels. In fact, I would say they are probably more solid with the extra material holding the pieces together.

Take a look at my thread after I had the wheels widened to get a better perspective on what the process looks like in the end.

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126111

G

·
Widening does not automatically imply that the offset is changed. If you extent the wheel both inwards and outwards at the same the offset will be unchanged. But it is tricky for two reasons:

-Expensive as you need to double the amount of welding as you are inserting material on both sides of the spookes.
-Tougher to get the right apperance as one of the welding areas will be on the outer visible wheel lip.

But it can be done.

Or a simpler solution would be to add a spacer with half the thickness of widening to keep offset unchanged.

·
New York Sports
955 Posts
So, any suggestions on places to get this done? I have a set of Volk Gram Lights 18x9.5 in the rear that I'd like widened to 18x12, any and all input would be greatly helpfull.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.