Supra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1994 Toyota Supra Turbo 6spd
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a mishimoto radiator in the Supra. Which had the twin mishimoto electric fan kit and shroud. But I am taking it off to switch to the oem fam shroud. Got a used fan and clutch already.
Just got the shroud on. But I do notice there is a little gap between the shroud and the radiator. Can we fill that area? Maybe some sort of foam or something? I noticed there are slight gaps a long the side also between the shroud and radiator.
I’m missing that little adapter piece that bolts the top passenger side to the shroud and radiator. But I think I can get that from Toyota

thanks guys

·
From the land down under
4,432 Posts
Good that you did that, as every little bit of airflow that goes through the core is better than it leaking around the shroud :)

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
Actually, I misspoke. The radiator has a foam strip along the front edge, which is not even on the shroud side. There is nothing between the shroud and radiator, and there is no gap between the shroud and factory radiator.

Al

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,688 Posts
I know this is not what the OP asked, but here's what I did for the gap between the radiator's front edge and the body panels (nice weatherstripping from Auto Zone). I also ran the same stuff down the sides:

More info here: Cushioning foam for new radiator ?

Reactions: pham

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That’s awesome guys thanks! That’s what I meant the gap between the body and the radiator...
Also Toyota said they discontinued the little bracket piece that holds the passenger side top side to the radiator. I can probably get a small piece of plastic or aluminum and tap it or form a bracket with bolts and nuts?
weather stripping is better or the garage door sealer? 😄

·
Highway Demon
2,893 Posts
That’s awesome guys thanks! That’s what I meant the gap between the body and the radiator...
Also Toyota said they discontinued the little bracket piece that holds the passenger side top side to the radiator. I can probably get a small piece of plastic or aluminum and tap it or form a bracket with bolts and nuts?
weather stripping is better or the garage door sealer? 😄
I think it's probably the same TBH. It's just a rubber gasket strip with adhesive on the back of it and I did mine years ago and there has been no issues.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so the gap between the shroud a d the radiator.. can I fill that top with foam or something to fill in the gap?
Also the empty small fan section, just leave it empty?

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
I wouldn't put foam between the shroud and radiator. If it falls off, it will get sucked into the fan.

If you're not using the small opening, you can attach a piece of aluminum on there.

Al

·
Registered
563 Posts
T6Rocket is correct, I didn't think about it before I responded
As someone who's foam has only recently started to disintegrate here... I like this thanks for posting the up close detail and I'm pretty sure I know exactly what you are referring to from Home Depot because I have one on my shop door. This looks nice

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,688 Posts
Also the empty small fan section, just leave it empty?
No, put the OEM aux fan back in there. It turns on when the fluid in the bottom of the radiator hits a certain "hot" level...to help cool it down.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
As for the little bracket on the passenger side top. To fasten and secure the fan shroud to the radiator... I have a mishimoto radiator and I don’t know if this little piece will fit? If I’m not mistaken, the hook side goes on top right facing the front? But on this radiator there is nothing to hook on to and it actually gets in the way to attach it correctly?

what have you guys done or used in this place? Stock fan shroud w aftermarket radiators? We’re you guys all able to use the stock Toyota bracket thing? And if so how did you do it?

I was thinking of just getting a small piece of aluminum or plastic. Drill a hole and puta nut behind it and just attach it that way very simple?

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,688 Posts
You are correct, the Mishimoto doesn't have an anchor at that position. I think I did what you're talking about...made my own bracket for that point.

Reactions: sleeknsilver

·
Registered
734 Posts
This is good info. Thanks guys.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts