Supra Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed my stock intake pipping was not as hot as my alluminum pipping after a long drive and got me curious if a stock pipping is actually not trapping hotter air. But why do we upgrade to alluminum or metal piping? is it looks? or does the material make a difference?

thanks

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
The theory is that anything rubber will deteriorate after a number of heating cycles thus causing possible leakage. I was on the dyno once and the guy running it said "...oh, you're not stock, you have hardpipes- good for extra xx hp" I thought, what? Do people really think that expansion of the rubber, under boost, is robbing power?
You are probably correct in assuming that it is not worth replacing the piping if you are on stock turbos. Singles and custom installs are another story. We install turbos by the dozens every day in a test lab. We cannot rely on rubber hose unless it is double-clamped with constant-torque clamps. Most all ducting is done-up in aluminum.
I sold my hard-pipe kit and replaced the stock hosing for two reasons- heat insulation properties of rubber and plastic are better than metal and, two, the state of CA is tough on vehicle modifications.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts