Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok my STOCK 7M is putting out higher than stock boost (see pic). No mods are done to the engine at all, not even intake. Wastegate is not shimmed either...any reason why boost would be high(er) than stock?

btw, pic is in 4th at about 4k guage stops rising there....is that the limit of the needle, in otherwords maybe it is making even more boost than it is reading but not able to display it...

·
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星
10,377 Posts
Damn. I read your postthinking that you had the same problem as me. I have stock setup but not stock boost level. I'm underboosting at 2 psi.

I didn't know supras came with gauges that only measure up to 4. mine is up to eight just like i thought they all were. Guess not. And i'm not sure what would be causing you to overboost the stock level, i'm not as knowledgeable on hat kind of thing as the more experianced members on this board.

Somebody help this guy out. Or maybe not(overboosting isn't a bad thing is it.)

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes guage is in metric, not psi. Exhaust is stock, only a different muffler. Over boosting can be bad with stock HG @ stock torque values + stock intake and stock exhaust....but yea I will check out the wastegate to see whats going on. Thanks for the replies.

·
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星
10,377 Posts
ahh,metric i got. what years or models did they use metric gauges

·
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星
10,377 Posts
didn't know that, interesting fact though. did the japanese models also use metric

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i would assume so...since they use km's

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i think i figures out my boost problem...according to this quote from an older thread...

clonephoon said:
my brother had the same problem except it was in a little higher boost range . the problem could be and exsuaust leek at the elbo or at the manifold. the leek at the elbo can cause the Wastegate to work inproper. and the leek at the manifold can cause low boost and alote of lag. just to make sure there no leek check all the bolt and make sure there tight. now if you have and EBC then you could have somthing hooked up wrong . but i think its a leek.
I am currently missing the gasket between the turbo elbow and the exhaust side of the turbo, so i got an exhaust leak. Can anyone else varify whether or not that would cause the wastegate to malfunction?

B

·
0 Posts
it could, but i didnt think that would be that dramatic. you should still check to see if your WG flapper is stuck shut (pull the C clip out that holds the actuator arm on, remove the arm and see if you can manually move the WG flapper), and also check the pressure line that goes from the compressor housing nipple to the WG actuator (i'd check this first as its the most common overboost cause)

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
alrite im a newb...how do u take off the wastegate? two bolts on the front....the hose....and there is a line going to the exhaust side of the turbo....i have the turbo removed....how does the line come off? i dont see a bolt holding it on....?

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
87SilverSupraTurbo said:
Either a koter pin or a little C-Clip.
is a special tool required to remove the c-clip??

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
eh, put an aftermarket boost guage in my car and I am hitting 8lbs of boost at 4000 in 3rd gear. But, in first gear i am only getting 1lb of boost, even if I redline it....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts