Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know off the top of their head what the thread count/pitch is of the stock shifter stick/knob?

If no one knows it, do they got a thread guage and can take a few min to unscrew their knob and find out what the thread pitch is?

im just gonna take a wild ass stab in the dark and say "10mm X 1.0 mm" or maybe its more like "10mm X 1.25mm"... hell i dunno, anyone care to help a brotha out?

Im fixin to do the SOGI mod but want to run a Die down the lower shaft of the shifter to retain a threaded knob... incase i want a Grex, TRD or stock knob. and i do dig the Grex knobs too.

·
VIVA LA M.A.S.H. Midwest
1,451 Posts
I figured it out once... but the local tool and die supply told me that it was a custom cut "metric" die. Heres what I did for the sogi mod...
Cut the very tip off the mysterious black piece.
Save black piece for later so that your boot will stand up on its own.
Take the tip with threads that you just cut off the "black piece" and weld it to the end of the unpainted shaft.
WALA!
Short shifter with stock toyota threads.

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats what i figured id have to do if i couldnt find a die to cut the same threads into the lower shaft... good thing i have access to an air grinder and welder

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks... apparantly, the Toyota thread is the same as the thread used on Subaru's... but thats about it. Mitsu, Mazda and Nissan all use the same, and Honda has their own.

i wonder if there are any cool STi shift knobs.... hmm.

btw, super-mega clean whip Joli :bigok:

·
I want to believe
1,536 Posts
I thought about that, but you cant run a die down whats left of the shifter. The lower part is thinner than the upper threads and the die wont cut anything. My friend ran a die down it for honda threads and used a honda shift knob. Seemed to work well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts