Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 3rd gen 20 gig Ipod and I would like to hard wire it to my car. Currently I'm using a cassette adapter, but I'd rather have the sound quality of hardwiring it to my stereo. Is it even possible to do this with the stock stereo? I have the premium stereo option for the 93.5 model year with the sub woofer. I know if this model had a cd changer input, it maybe possible, but I don't know if it does.

I know buying an after market stereo with line in jacks would solve all my problems but I'm trying to keep everything looking stock because I don't want to leave any gaps or holes where the unit is now. If there was a good solution for professionally filling this huge hole in my dash , I'd consider it. Any feedback from your pro stereo guys would be a great help.

Thanks,
Devin

·
Defender of the Universe
463 Posts
you would have no gap if you bought a double din head unit, there are several good ones out there

G

·
No problem with a gap with any DIN or double-DIN stereo. For the single sized unit, you fill the extra space with a pocket. There's a picture in the dashboard section of my webpage of my older unit... Since the Toyota factory unit is a double-DIN, it works out nicely for aftermarket replacements.

And, FWIW, I did figure out a way to wire in pre-amp intots to my factory unit, by replacing the AM stereo decoder chip. A small add-on breadboard with a couple of op-amps (as a buffer) leading to a pair of RCA jacks worked very well. You lose your AM radio, of course, and the display doesn't make much sense, but it works, and is still better quality than FM modulated or Cassette adapters. You can also add pre-oouts as well, by tapping into the pots (I think the balance/fader pots are the last in the signal path, giving you a full 4 channels w/ volume, bass and treble control at the HU.)

I could dig up my old notes, but overall, I think an aftermarket deck is far to easy to do, and has other benefits (such as the abilty to have better external amplification) as well.

·
Useless Member
717 Posts
Anyone have setups of their iPod mounted in the dash/car?? I'm thinking about having a double DIN setup w/ XM and an iPod, and perhaps an EZII boost controller. (XM at top left, EZII underneath it, and the iPod to the right).

I would need the iPod to be removeable though. How would I get this setup to work? Wiring through the XM? Or would I need something else?

PICS of iPod installs anyone??

G

·
Hi JDMG,

I would be very interested in the AM modulator/RCA input circuit you mention. Don't have a supra, but have next best thing.. a mx83/7MGE Cressida. Get an extra 2 doors! Same deal with the stereo.. no RCA or changer inputs.

While another unit would be great, I'm a bit cash strapped at the moment, so can trade some time instead of money.

FYI: here's a mod on the miatas to allow RCA in via the CD changer port. http://www.geocities.com/blhobbs.rm/Mazda_stereo_details.html

Cheers,
sj

·
Lets go Nets
2,956 Posts
yo dude, check the apple website on accessories, they have a FM converter thing so the ipod will come through the FM radio at full strength! i know the cassette recorder is garbage! i threw mine out.

-Brett

·
Useless Member
717 Posts
yeah but i hear the FM radio thing sucks balls...

have you used it? i haven't. i use my sony cassette adapter and it sounds like shit.

but when i split the signal from the headphone jack and hook it up to my klipsch speakers, the SQ is pretty nice. thats when the idea hit me. iPod + xm is all i'd need.

·
Useless Member
717 Posts
along with a nice 12" JL and a good multichannel amp

but is this possible? what else would i need to make that work?

·
Registered
103 Posts
KReddy05 said:
yeah but i hear the FM radio thing sucks balls...

have you used it? i haven't. i use my sony cassette adapter and it sounds like shit.

but when i split the signal from the headphone jack and hook it up to my klipsch speakers, the SQ is pretty nice. thats when the idea hit me. iPod + xm is all i'd need.
A friend of mine just got one. I listened to it on the way home when she got it. It sounds fine. Though it was not in a supra. I don't think quality would be that bad. They are 35 dollars or so and Belkin makes them. We got it at Circuit City. Give it a try, can't hurt. TJ

·
Useless Member
717 Posts
Alright, is it possible to have an XM & iPod without having a deck in the car?

I was thinking of having the iPod connected to the XM somehow, and then the XM being wired to an external amp (PPI or JL). But the problem is that I don't know much about stereo installations, or if the XM needs a deck, so I'm kind of lost on this one...

Can anyone shed some light?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts