Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was just woundering whats faster the 6spd or the automatic cause someone was telling me that the auto was faster please help i wanta know what the difference is

·
Registered
532 Posts
every magazine ive read says that the 6spd is a little faster by a couple of tenths, however that is at stock, about 90% of the ppl hear will say an auto is faster for qtr mile runs, but none of them are stock, so i guess in answer to your question when stock, 6sd is faster, when bpu and above auto is.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
aznsupra said:
every magazine ive read says that the 6spd is a little faster by a couple of tenths, however that is at stock, about 90% of the ppl hear will say an auto is faster for qtr mile runs, but none of them are stock, so i guess in answer to your question when stock, 6sd is faster, when bpu and above auto is.

quicker maybe, faster No.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you want to create a hypothetical environment where there's a stock auto Supra and stock 6-speed Supra in the exact same running condition and both with drivers of exact equal skill I would put my money on the auto car.

·
Registered
256 Posts
From a stop,
I honestly believe my auto can launch A LOT HARDER than my 6spd ever could. The 1-2 shift in the 6spd is a bitch cause it jerks the car hard, I mean u cant keep the front end pointed down. If that makes any sense.:)

·
STREET STOMPING JEDI
1,039 Posts
I think the auto

I think the stock auto tranny is iffy as far as being faster then 6 spd. I have owned both an auto and a 6 speed. I currently have a built auto and it launches VERY well. In vegas for the supra meet I raced several 6 spds. Ranging in power from 300 to 850hp. There wasnt a single instance where the 6 spd was faster of the line. So who knows. Also my car made the quick 16 so it ran pretty well. Stock twins though.

·
Old School
4,014 Posts
Re: I think the auto

Obiwan said:
I think the stock auto tranny is iffy as far as being faster then 6 spd. I have owned both an auto and a 6 speed. I currently have a built auto and it launches VERY well. In vegas for the supra meet I raced several 6 spds. Ranging in power from 300 to 850hp. There wasnt a single instance where the 6 spd was faster of the line. So who knows. Also my car made the quick 16 so it ran pretty well. Stock twins though.
I ran [email protected], 2.1 60', .508 light in the quick 16 against Billy Barr.

I didn't lose to an auto all night. ;)

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This all boiles down to one thing, averaging the most power for the longest time. The Auto does soak up some power, the Manual takes less power. With the Manual you need to lift between gears, loosing boost, and acceleration, the Auto you don't, and autos are more consistant in launching. If you use a lockup on the auto, this reduces power loss, and makes the auto about as efficient as the manual, but you still get the gains of consistant launch, and not lifting between the gears, so you put the power down the entire 1320. So, in my opinion if you take 2 identically prepared cars, and put a lock up on the auto, there is no question, the auto will be faster, and maybe even without the lockup.

Jason S.

·
Registered
143 Posts
You can make the auto faster by putting a high stall (say 3800 or so ) and beefing up the tranny. This will cost you in the $3200-$4400 plus install costs. I loved mine with the 3800 stall for the hour or so it was actually working right. My stall cast $940 from Precision Industries and I am going to probably get the stage III tranny from Phoenix Hard Parts for $2200 with exchange. Mine was much quicker out of the hole with the 3800 stall and to out launch a 6spd you will need this. The stock converter slows the car down a lot from a dead stop compaired to the higher stall. If you go auto you at least need a converter upgrade and hope your tranny can take it (mine had 87000 on it and did not look like the previous owner knew the transmission fluid ever needed to be changed. When I put new fluid in it, the clutches started breaking down so fast after about 2 hrs the filter/screen was so clogged up with material, the car would not move)

SwamiBob

·
Administrator
17,223 Posts
Re: Re: I think the auto

This comes from a guy who made the most of his BPU setup that night in Vegas. Nice shifting Chip! :D

Steve T.

Lagtime said:

I ran [email protected], 2.1 60', .508 light in the quick 16 against Billy Barr.

I didn't lose to an auto all night. ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts