Supra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
I am looking into getting some 264deg cams for my 1jz-gte. I have a wolf 3d but the mechanic who installed could not make it do timing as the stock ecu needed the crank angle sensor to make the auto change gears. So my question is: how important is it to be able to change the timing when you are running longer duration cams?

The reason I wasn't that fussed about this was that I have been told by a couple of people that the standard ignition map is very good and there is minimal gains to be had by changing it eg. SIko1j is making big power with stock ecu. Also, it would retain the standard knock sensors.

Thanks in advance
Chris

·
Registered
543 Posts
The intake is fine where it is. The exhaust cam needs to be adjusted on the dyno to see any gains and to move the power around in the rpm band. Your butt dyno won't give you a non-bias opinion. Toyota invested millions in timing tuning and it is great up to where boost cut is at stock. It attripolates after that. HTH.

O

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am sorry but I don't quite understand. Are you referring to cam timing using cam gears?

I was actually referring to ignition timing. I can't control the advance or retard of the spark. It is running as a stock engine would.

thanks
Chris

·
Registered
543 Posts
There is no timing adjustments for this motor. The timing is perfectly fine for the amount of boost the stock turbos are capable of. HTH.

Orin

1 - 5 of 5 Posts