Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick question on here...I have a 98 N/A supra and I was just wondering if it's worth buying new tt brake calipers from toyota or just use aftermarket calipers such as brembos thank you..

·
Registered
30 Posts
If you have the money, a big brake kit is the way to go. But many of us don't have the funds for that. And since you're still NA, the best option for you is buying USDM TT calipers and rotors. Look through the For Sale section. There's always a set up for grabs in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Reverend Hillclimb
2,660 Posts
I love the look of BBKs but what are you going to use the car for?
I dont mean to talk down on anyone who has BBKs on their cars,
but I do not see any need to get a big brake kit unless you:
A. have reached the limits of the stock brakes
B. are going to race (road racing)

I literally see no benefit to upgrading the amazing stock brakes unless you will benefit from them
Besides it is not just a change up, the BBKs are not cheap, and stock TT brakes are (in comparison)
Unless you are gonna race or you really want the look of a BBK, the stock brakes are enough for 90% of people on here.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do have the front brembo calipers with the rotors but im not sure if I just want to keep it all original by just adding the stock tt calipers...

·
Reverend Hillclimb
2,660 Posts
If you have it then put it on! Ill trade you stock calipers haha.
If you have Brembos ready to go, unless you are restoring the car, throw em on!
I said they are not necessary because for the money you pay, there are better mods I am sure.
But if you already have them, by all means, I vote Brembo

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do like more the oem look on these cars..but I guess it all depends on how the car is going to be used. ..but definitely im going to track it....

·
SUPRAFICIAL
1,518 Posts
There are some other options from what i've heard that are nearly equivalent to the supra tt or better for the same cost. I've heard dodge SRT brakes are really affordable bremo setups.

Im not sure about the mounting process or what is involved but someone was telling me there is a kit you can get to fit SRT brakes to the supra.

I've been wanting to upgrade my stock na brakes but i would love to do something thats a decent upgrade for the rears too.

·
Going for broke
622 Posts
If you're truly going to track it, you want lighter calipers, larger pad contact surface, more pistons, and better cooling. Get a BBK and don't cheap out (aka buy calipers and rotors DESIGNED for the MKIV supra, not with brackets to make fit).
If you're just saying you want to track it (once in awhile), and you don't plan on racing for money, the stock calipers will be sufficient.

·
Administrator
8,799 Posts
^^ true

A healthy mkiv TT braking system with a good set of pads/stainless lines is nothing to scoff at. Most of the people out there with BBK's do it 75% for looks anyways, I would be hard pressed to find anyone actually testing the limitations of their kits.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I recently ordered a set of TT front calipers (remanufactured) with stoptech drilled and slotted rotors/pads/ss lines and the shim and fit kit from Toyota. All in about $500 shipped. Not bad, even better after they get painted and decals applied to look just like stock. Someone recommended this route to me and it proved to be very cost effective compared to picking up used from someone or buying new.

·
Registered
9,670 Posts
If you're truly going to track it, you want lighter calipers, larger pad contact surface, more pistons, and better cooling. Get a BBK and don't cheap out (aka buy calipers and rotors DESIGNED for the MKIV supra, not with brackets to make fit).
If you're just saying you want to track it (once in awhile), and you don't plan on racing for money, the stock calipers will be sufficient.
You do realize brembo didnt come on a mkiv so their "kit" comes with brackets also....

·
Going for broke
622 Posts
You do realize brembo didnt come on a mkiv so their "kit" comes with brackets also....
Yes, but I'm referring to retrofitting calipers from another vehicle with brackets. The kits made specifically for the supra are matched correctly based on vehicle weight and bias, etc. I'm sure people know how to do this themselves, but I'd be hesitant to purchase a budget BBK.

·
Registered
9,670 Posts
Yes, but I'm referring to retrofitting calipers from another vehicle with brackets. The kits made specifically for the supra are matched correctly based on vehicle weight and bias, etc. I'm sure people know how to do this themselves, but I'd be hesitant to purchase a budget BBK.
True

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
^^ true

A healthy mkiv TT braking system with a good set of pads/stainless lines is nothing to scoff at. Most of the people out there with BBK's do it 75% for looks anyways, I would be hard pressed to find anyone actually testing the limitations of their kits.
Thats exactly what I was referring to if its just a better option to just keep it with original equipment but do the basic upgrade on them like how you stated about brake lines,pads....

·
Administrator
8,799 Posts
Thats exactly what I was referring to if its just a better option to just keep it with original equipment but do the basic upgrade on them like how you stated about brake lines,pads....
The 1997 supra was the 2nd best stopping car of the ones tested by car and driver of the 90's

http://m.caranddriver.com/features/rocket-sleds-the-best-performers-from-50-years-of-car-and-driver-testing-short-stoppers-page-4

My vote is tt calipers, stainless lines, hawk pads, motul fluid and enjoy how great the stock system can be.

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,552 Posts
My vote is tt calipers, stainless lines, hawk pads, motul fluid and enjoy how great the stock system can be.
+1, FastTurbo has it exactly right. Except I would recommend the Carbotech XP10 brake pads, only because I've tracked my car with them and really like them. I've never tried Hawk pads. With stainless lines and XP10 pads, the stopping power is enormous.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
My vote is tt calipers.. I recently installed the Stoptech oem size brake kit. Comes with rotors, street performance pads, ss lines and replaced the fluid with some Motul 5.1

I couldn't believe how good these TT brakes are when mated with some good rotors and pads.

I was thinking of buying a BBK set since it seemed that I maxed out these TT brakes at 700whp. But it just needed better rotors and pads. They are very good... BBK are for people who mostly track their cars, unless you like the look of a big red caliper.

Ryan

·
Registered
37 Posts
I recently ordered a set of TT front calipers (remanufactured) with stoptech drilled and slotted rotors/pads/ss lines and the shim and fit kit from Toyota. All in about $500 shipped. Not bad, even better after they get painted and decals applied to look just like stock. Someone recommended this route to me and it proved to be very cost effective compared to picking up used from someone or buying new.
Sounds like a good way to go. Where did you end up getting the remaned calipers from?

·
Registered
945 Posts
My vote is tt calipers.. I recently installed the Stoptech oem size brake kit. Comes with rotors, street performance pads, ss lines and replaced the fluid with some Motul 5.1

I couldn't believe how good these TT brakes are when mated with some good rotors and pads.

I was thinking of buying a BBK set since it seemed that I maxed out these TT brakes at 700whp. But it just needed better rotors and pads. They are very good... BBK are for people who mostly track their cars, unless you like the look of a big red caliper.

Ryan
I really like mine as well, the stopping power is impressive, only complaint is the excessive dusting, I am curious how many miles I will get out of the pads and rotors.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
unless you plan on repeated stops from 140+mph in a half mile you will be fine with stock tt brakes. I've seen the stock brakes heat spot and fade during high speed roll racing but they still worked.
A good pad, fluid change and stainless lines will do well for you in most situations

1 - 20 of 21 Posts