Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
OG
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
im trying to diagnose my evc install on the stock twins.

so i need to know what is the highest boost that the stock turbos will run with the wastegate wide open?

i know i've seen posts from guys hitting 25 psi on the stock twins. how so? i would assume that disconnecting the lines on the wastegate would do it, but it wont work on my car.

no matter how hard i try i cant get the evc to boost over 1.2 bar.
it will rise up to 1.4 in 3rd and 4th gear under load but not any higher.

so i tried yanking off all the wastegate lines to see what max boost i could get and still the same thing.

doesnt seems like a boost leak.

what gives???

·
Old School
4,014 Posts
You mean with the wastegate closed.

With it "wide open" you would make very little boost.

I have never disabled mine, so I don't know nor do I care to find out. :)

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
You could have a boost leak. I can hear air escaping from my EGR as I rev and since then I haven't been boosting much over 1.25 kg/cm^2 in 4th. I used to routinely hit 1.4 to 1.5 at full bost in 4th in similar weather. I am going to do the EGR blockoff which should help. Mohd can sell an EGR block-off plate to you for $15.

Also make sure you don't have loose or cracked IC hoses.

·
OG
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oops.
yes, i meant wastegate closed to get maximum boost.
atleast you knew what i meant...
I just used the term "open" because I left the wastegate actuator hoses unplugged.

anyway, I think BLITZSUPRA might be right. I had problems with my EGR before.

nevertheless, I would think that running with a closed wastegate would still get me over 1.5 bar on the stock twins. after several test runs right now I was able to hit 1.4 a few times.

has anyone else out there run their supra with a closed wastegate? im curious if 1.4 is the max?

·
OG
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
was normal. about 75 degrees during the day.

im gonna take it out again later tonight once it gets cooler.

so is this considered normal?

D

·
0 Posts
Team Toyota

An off-topic question but where do you live? Is it in Fullerton? I think I've seen some of your cars around. Did you just pick up the Supra?

Chris

·
OG
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
DANKAHOLIK -

yup thats me in Fullerton.

ToeJamme -

i've seen the hpf mod to the pressure tank.

it doenst really apply to me since im setting up my supra to ettc.

im begining to think that my wastegate actuator is too weak to keep the wastegate completely closed.

and it doesnt seem like a boost leak. i checked everything and no leaks cracks or anything.

any other possibilities?

D

·
0 Posts
You have owned some badass cars. Could i check out your Supra sometime?

Chris

·
Registered
74 Posts
I've got some experience with a sealed wastegate, it's easily possible to hit 1.7 bar. I'll try and put some video from a friend's car. It repeatedly hit 1.64, shifting before redline. He was on it pretty hard, but not drilling it.

·
Registered
989 Posts
The best way to get 25psi out of those turbos is too get a crobar and place it behind the wastegate that is infront of the car and push it towards the fron(this is full proof). My recommendation is that you convert your car to TTC before you do this mod. If you don't do the TTC mod you will bend the shaft on the second turbo when it comes on. In cold weather you should be able to hit 27-28psi.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts