Supra Forums banner
21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Old School
4,182 Posts
Bought the car in March 1999, was BPU until April 2006 (made 457rwhp and ran [email protected]) when I singled the car. I’ve never looked back.

I don’t miss the stock twins.

·
Highway Demon
2,902 Posts
Hmmmm I'm single turboed but I know if I go twin I will just miss the power and want to go back to Single lol
PPL may think driving an APU car is effortless and all fun because of the power that's on tap but it takes a decent amount of alertness and focus to safely drive those cars fast. I think part of the joy of driving a BPU car is that you can focus more on the driving performance and less on temperatures, oil pressure, tire grip etc. and just enjoy the drive. You can have some excitement in a modestly powerful but still very capable car. Carving through some corners at high speed and throttling out of a corner without worrying that your car is gonna end up sideways in a ditch because it's hard to maintain 700whp coming out of a turn in a lower gear. I can agree with the argument that there's a time a place for cars built to a certain specification, but I love every aspect of my supra and its ability to do so many different things. Essentially a "Jack of all trades, master of none" type of car, but more then anything the solution is to just own more supras and set ea up for a specific purpose. ;)

·
Registered
317 Posts
With hybrid sequential twins gaining some popularity, my interest in the old-school Field Boxer SC-1 has piqued again. Anyone still have one? Or manuals/diagrams/etc.? Maybe a similar box can be built using a Raspberry Pi, or something. This could be an awesome tool to tailor the sequential boost transition. (For us without a stand-alone.)

@shenofjo , can you post a pic of your EBV spring mod? I want to try that or the 1/2" EBV spacer mod next. I can't see how I can wrap a spring around the actuator arm to add resistance. I can only add side-stress to the actuator arm.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
With hybrid sequential twins gaining some popularity, my interest in the old-school Field Boxer SC-1 has piqued again. Anyone still have one? Or manuals/diagrams/etc.? Maybe a similar box can be built using a Raspberry Pi, or something. This could be an awesome tool to tailor the sequential boost transition. (For us without a stand-alone.)

@shenofjo , can you post a pic of your EBV spring mod? I want to try that or the 1/2" EBV spacer mod next. I can't see how I can wrap a spring around the actuator arm to add resistance. I can only add side-stress to the actuator arm.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Thanks. I remember previously asking about it. I can only hook the spring on the bend in the rod, so that places side-tension on the actuator, not linearly with the actuator.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
The bend in the middle is almost 90 degrees and you are hooking to that bend and pulling backwards. Yes it’s not a perfect position but I wouldn’t call it a side pressure either. It’s pretty effective. Even the ebv rod comes at an angle on the other end as well. I’ve done both actually one to the bend and one all the way to the end of actuator arm. It was a biatch to get it there and at the end of the day, it took one of each for me to get my 13.3psi on first turbo.

[

Reactions: suprajake

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
PPL may think driving an APU car is effortless and all fun because of the power that's on tap but it takes a decent amount of alertness and focus to safely drive those cars fast. I think part of the joy of driving a BPU car is that you can focus more on the driving performance and less on temperatures, oil pressure, tire grip etc. and just enjoy the drive. You can have some excitement in a modestly powerful but still very capable car. Carving through some corners at high speed and throttling out of a corner without worrying that your car is gonna end up sideways in a ditch because it's hard to maintain 700whp coming out of a turn in a lower gear. I can agree with the argument that there's a time a place for cars built to a certain specification, but I love every aspect of my supra and its ability to do so many different things. Essentially a "Jack of all trades, master of none" type of car, but more then anything the solution is to just own more supras and set ea up for a specific purpose. ;)
well said. this has always been my goal also.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I really enjoyed running the PHR Street Torque kit (6466) on the stock ECU and fuel. It was fast spooling and put down about 450 whp on 91. I've enjoyed the car more and more as I eliminated the old proprietary vacuum lines and VSVs. The car is also easier to work on as the engine bay now has more room to work. I've taken the build well beyond that point now and miss the simplicity on certain days. Supporting this car long term I much prefer going single as I can now use more off the shelf generic parts. Fewer discontinued Toyota parts to cry about.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So I was thinking about this the other day, but almost every Supra you see posted on social media or in videos etc seems to be built with a single turbo, stand-alone ecu, fuel system etc. It got me thinking to when I first bought mine in 05 when most Supras were stock twins with bpu mods and using the “secret sauce” mods to try to max out the stockers. Some were achieving the first stock twin cars in the 10’s etc. then all of a sudden that stopped and everyone just slapped a precision turbo on their cars (me included lol). Granted a lot had to do with turbo tech progression and billet wheels etc, but it also just felt like the thing to do if you owned a Supra. Almost like you had no choice haha.

Latey I have been rethinking the direction of my car, and maybe I’m just reminiscing of those days when mods were just simple bolt ons and 400rwhp was good enough. But I have given serious thought to installing a set of rebuilt/upgraded twins, go back to stock ecu and fuel and just enjoy an oem+ type build. I was curious if any others have had the same thoughts and either stayed on the stock twins this whole time, or have been single and gone back to twins? Maybe I’m going crazy lol, or maybe I’m just losing my passion for an extensively modified car. There was something about the stock twins and their simplicity that I think I miss. Anyone else out there feel the same, or just me haha?
Well Sir, my Supra is completely stock UK speck and why the on earth should I change it? Its fuel consumption isn't to bad, it's speed sees of modern vehicles on the road where congestion prevents you from world land-speed record attempts anyway. It was to designed to be what it is, it certainly gets all the looks, it's ultra reliable what more can you want. Why become a fossil fuel guzzling pariah more than necessary? Luckily it only take trips to shows and occasional summer attractions.
So conclusion: Keep it stock enjoy the original craftmanship and design and take care of her. (PS - I even have a spare stock stainless exhaust system sprayed silver for use by me or the next owner if they so wish)
So I was thinking about this the other day, but almost every Supra you see posted on social media or in videos etc seems to be built with a single turbo, stand-alone ecu, fuel system etc. It got me thinking to when I first bought mine in 05 when most Supras were stock twins with bpu mods and using the “secret sauce” mods to try to max out the stockers. Some were achieving the first stock twin cars in the 10’s etc. then all of a sudden that stopped and everyone just slapped a precision turbo on their cars (me included lol). Granted a lot had to do with turbo tech progression and billet wheels etc, but it also just felt like the thing to do if you owned a Supra. Almost like you had no choice haha.

Latey I have been rethinking the direction of my car, and maybe I’m just reminiscing of those days when mods were just simple bolt ons and 400rwhp was good enough. But I have given serious thought to installing a set of rebuilt/upgraded twins, go back to stock ecu and fuel and just enjoy an oem+ type build. I was curious if any others have had the same thoughts and either stayed on the stock twins this whole time, or have been single and gone back to twins? Maybe I’m going crazy lol, or maybe I’m just losing my passion for an extensively modified car. There was something about the stock twins and their simplicity that I think I miss. Anyone else out there feel the same, or just me haha?
Well Sir, my Supra is completely stock UK spec and why the on earth should I change it? Its fuel consumption isn't to bad, it's speed sees off modern vehicles on the road (apart from most Teslas and German think they're cool and fast ) where congestion prevents you from world land-speed record attempts anyway. It was to designed to be what it is, it certainly gets all the looks, it's ultra reliable what more can you want. Why become a fossil fuel guzzling pariah more than necessary? Luckily it only take trips to shows and occasional summer attractions.
So conclusion: Keep it stock enjoy the original craftmanship and design and take care of her. (PS - I even have a spare stock stainless exhaust system sprayed silver for use by me or the next owner if they so wish)

·
Registered
520 Posts
Well Sir, my Supra is completely stock UK speck and why the on earth should I change it? Its fuel consumption isn't to bad, it's speed sees of modern vehicles on the road where congestion prevents you from world land-speed record attempts anyway. It was to designed to be what it is, it certainly gets all the looks, it's ultra reliable what more can you want. Why become a fossil fuel guzzling pariah more than necessary? Luckily it only take trips to shows and occasional summer attractions.

Well Sir, my Supra is completely stock UK spec and why the on earth should I change it? Its fuel consumption isn't to bad, it's speed sees off modern vehicles on the road (apart from most Teslas and German think they're cool and fast ) where congestion prevents you from world land-speed record attempts anyway. It was to designed to be what it is, it certainly gets all the looks, it's ultra reliable what more can you want. Why become a fossil fuel guzzling pariah more than necessary? Luckily it only take trips to shows and occasional summer attractions.
It's great you have a nice UK spec stock car. I'm stock too but here in the USA we don't always have bumper to bumper traffic or cars all around us on the road depending on where we live. I was lucky I got replacement VSV's about 3 years ago but working around the stock twins is a pain. Especially if the rear heater core hoses go bad. My goal is a standalone flex fuel system on twins but it will cost a lot more than a small single on the stock MAF/fuel :(

·
Registered
317 Posts
I really enjoyed running the PHR Street Torque kit (6466) on the stock ECU and fuel. It was fast spooling and put down about 450 whp on 91.
I like the idea of that simple setup. Do you have any dyno charts or know your torque in the 2500-3000 rpm range? Do you have a QSV?

·
Registered
Rejoined
148 Posts
Still running the stock twins since purchase new in 5/1995, and have been waiting for them to die (didn't want to yank them functioning, but don't want to work on the sequential system any longer either). Have learn a lot from the forum over the years, and that there are many paths to more power; what sacrifices are you willing to put up with. OP, this was a great discussion starter.

·
Old School
4,182 Posts
The more I've modded my car, the more I've enjoyed going to better spool and mid range power over peak power output. 1000hp race cars are not useable on the street 98% of the time.
I so agree.

For a 3L motor it's E85 + compression + VVTi + 64-68mm turbo.

For a stroker keep the above other than upping the turbo to 68-76mm.

·
Super Moderator
10,908 Posts
It seems most APU owners have had direct stock twins/BPU experience, but the converse, at least in this thread, is not, necessarily, true. Some opinions offered reflect this, which is not a bad thing.

I rarely, if ever, give rides but, when I have, I've always taken the time to show how user-friendly an APU car can be, making a point to trundle around town and to deliberately drive in the dreaded SoCali bumper to bumper. Then, I've taken the opportunity to "clear their sinuses" to show why the MKIV Supra earned its reputation as God's Chariot.

The first time I recall doing this was when I gave a ride to the author (@mvaughn) of an AutoWeek magazine article on Blackie as part of his research on the article. I didn't understand, for a moment, why he was very noticeably tense until he told me all the big power cars he had been in were big block domestics that were not particularly tractable.

Driving around my home town, before getting on the freeway, utterly amazed him, even more so when the legendary power of the 2JZ-GTE kicked in. So the moral of this story, my Supra brothers, is, if you're a stock twins/BPU guy, drive an APU car for a month and, if you're an APU guy, drive a stock twins/BPU car for 30 days. I'm pretty sure you will enjoy the experience immensely because the only thing better than one Supra is two Supras. 👍👏💪👊😎

P.S. The session with AutoWeek happened many years ago. Since then, advances in engine management systems and turbo technology, in particular, have improved APU cars even more.

Ken.

·
Super Moderator
10,908 Posts
@Lagtime's APU formula above is virtually unbeatable when it comes to guys having their cake and eating it too.

Ken.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I have owned my MKIV for almost 23 years now. Went BPU a few days after I bought it. Bumped it up to around 450 RWHP over time and it was always a blast. Never once thought of selling it or replacing it with something modern. But then the wastegate went (stuck open) and so I am going to get Stu's GT-28s now.

Not going to go full out instantly. Maybe 450-480 RWHP again at first, then buy a standalone ECU, injectors and fuel pump in a few years. Also first gotta find someone who would tune the standalone ECU properly, so it feels GT-like, like BPU/stock.

I just love the GT feeling of a BPU Supra. Just cruising around relaxed and comfortable, and then floor it when you feel like it, bringing a big grin into my face still.

I tried TTC for a while but I never liked the lack of low-end power, so I am staying sequential, even if that means more potential problems over time. I will for sure replace all vacuum lines and VSVs when I replace the turbos, so that should prevent a lot issues in the hopefully many more years to come.

So far I never had serious issues except the wastegate issue now and multiple broken EGCV flaps over time (I guess thats simply unavoidable with so much boost/heat on the stock twins at BPU levels). That reliability was a huge reason why I bought it in the first place.

The only issue I have is finding a clutch thats quiet enough (keeping the stock flywheel) and can hold (later) ~600rwhp without causing crankwalk. I still havent found one.

·
Registered
317 Posts
After replacing my leaking ECU capacitors, I'm not convinced my ECU is 100% fixed. Extremely frustrating! If there was an economically Plug-n-Play, aftermarket ECU with OEM+ functionality (boost/timing control, engine monitoring, traction control, auto transmission management, etc.), without spending thousands+++ on bespoke tuning and sensors, I'd be all over it.

OEMs do not individually dyno tune each mass-produced vehicle... it would be nice to have a modern plug-n-play aftermarket ECU option that replicates the stock engine parameters without additional dyno tuning.

Reactions: dbr95
21 - 40 of 66 Posts