Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Banned
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
I've been running methanol injection for almost a year now, and recently upgraded from the 100PSI pump to the 150PSI pump that is sold by RRev Motorsports. I also installed an RPS carbon/carbon clutch, with the aluminum flywheel. (No, I'm not crazy, I am preparing to go single)

John Reed from RRev retuned the car last night, using a 100% methanol mixture, and the custom meth kit that he has developed. The car has an AEM and HPF FMIC, with an RMM DP and Veilside Ti exhaust. It has a cold air intake I built myself, using parts from TurboHoses. I have a helper spring on the wastegate, and we're seeing 21PSI peak, falling to 18PSI by redline.

Prior to the methanol injection and clutch, the best dyno was 442RWHP on 114 leaded race gas. Here are the results of last night's tuning:

Needless to say, the car is VERY fun to drive at this level, and I'll enjoy driving it, until I put the GT4088R on the car.

Thanks for looking,

Ken

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Was that on pump??

·
Not so boring anymore
7,085 Posts
Very nice!

·
Banned
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Was that on pump??
It was on 92 octane pump, plus methanol injection.

Nice #s! What size meth nozzle?
The kit John sells actually uses a solenoid instead of a nozzle, for better control. It's rated at 1000CC/min @100PSI.

Very nice!
Thanks! The car makes 389RWHP on a conservative pump gas tune, without the meth. I'm running the same boost on pump or meth, the extra 60RWHP is all from being able to run more timing advance with the methanol.

Once I go single, I'll be making ~500RWHP on pump at 18PSI, and somewhere over 600RWHP @25PSI when I switch to the pump+ meth, but that will be more timing AND more boost.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
The kit John sells actually uses a solenoid instead of a nozzle, for better control. It's rated at 1000CC/min @100PSI.
Holy crap thats a lot of meth if you're running a 150 psi pump. Is it progressive? I might have to step up my nozzle size.

·
Registered
13,582 Posts
Congrats. Very interesting and commendable results with the stock twins.

·
Banned
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Holy crap thats a lot of meth if you're running a 150 psi pump. Is it progressive? I might have to step up my nozzle size.
It CAN be progressive, but it's not setup that way. John talks about how he sets it up in post 154 on in this thread:http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=267257&page=4

Congrats. Very interesting and commendable results with the stock twins.

nice numbers!

Thanks, the car is a ton of fun to drive. I'm hoping to run 11's with it on Friday night.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Great numbers! I have just put a Meth injection kit on my car, and hope to get it tuned soon. I only have a 380CC/Min injector on there right now and was planning on running 50/50 meth water on stock twins. Think I will need to go with a bigger injector? Any reason why you are running 100% meth when you don't really need the additional fueling at this point?

·
The need for speed
1,653 Posts
That A/F curve is very nice for the meth transition. John always has been one of the best tuners out there.

·
Super Moderator
10,580 Posts
It was on 92 octane pump, plus methanol injection.

Thanks! The car makes 389RWHP on a conservative pump gas tune, without the meth. I'm running the same boost on pump or meth, the extra 60RWHP is all from being able to run more timing advance with the methanol.

Ken,

Nice numbers with and without meth. I dynoed my BPU car a little while back and made 387 whp on 91-octane pump, so your pump + meth and the additional timing really did well for you. Congrats to you. You've got a damn good tuner as well in John Reed.

Ken.

·
Banned
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I only have a 380CC/Min injector on there right now and was planning on running 50/50 meth water on stock twins. Think I will need to go with a bigger injector? Any reason why you are running 100% meth when you don't really need the additional fueling at this point?
John would be better able to answer those questions, I'll see if I can get him to come in. I was running 66% meth/33% distilled water, but ran out of water. John said I'll need to straight meth with the single kit, in order to run high boost on the GT4088R, and it's just easier not to have to mix it.

That A/F curve is very nice for the meth transition. John always has been one of the best tuners out there.
Yes, it's very good, one of the nicest I've seen.

Nice job on the power made.
Thank you.

To run a meth setup in this fashion is an AEM required?
Yes, if you want to take full advantage. All of my additional power running the methanol is coming from extra timing advance that we are able to run. If the stock ECU is trying to run more timing than it can on pump alone, you would probably see an improvement with the methanol, but then you would be very rich, since the methanol is also a fuel. John is advancing timing, and removing fuel when the methanol system is active. After installing the 150PSI pump, the AFR's were at 9:1 on the first methanol pull on the dyno.

It looks to be in true twin mode, and reason for this?
I have an ETTC switch I wired in. I mostly drive the car in TTC these days, because the onset of power is so violent when #2 comes online in sequential mode. The car simply destroys the tires in 2nd gear when #2 comes online. I picked up about half a second at the drags from running TTC vs. sequential, due to less wheelspin.

Another reason I drive the car a lot in TTC is that I am getting used to the single power band. The GT4088R will actually outspool the twins in TTC by several hundred RPM, so will feel less laggy to me if I get used to the TTC powerband.

Ken,

Nice numbers with and without meth. I dynoed my BPU car a little while back and made 387 whp on 91-octane pump, so your pump + meth and the additional timing really did well for you. Congrats to you. You've got a damn good tuner as well in John Reed.

Ken.
Thanks Ken. It sounds like your second car is a pretty strong example. I think mine was at ~370RWHP BPU, at 1.1BAR.

John is the man when it comes to tuning...nobody else gets near my car with a laptop. He can turn a wrench too-he was a Master Tech at Beaverton Toyota for ~7 years before he moved into the aftermarket.

Ken

·
Working OT
4,193 Posts
great numbers but shouldn't this be in the dyno section

1 - 20 of 41 Posts