Supra Forums banner

3221 - 3232 of 3232 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Long time member on here - I finally picked up a 6spd turbo supra from 2jzmotorsports in utah early this year.

It's completely stock except an HKS ti exhaust and megan racing downpipe 2jzmotorsports installed before I took delivery.

Strongly interested in your long running STU turbo upgrade. I'm located here in Washington State - plan on having Ishii Motorsports do the deed if I move forward.

Powerwise - I would be happy anywhere from 450whp - 500whp. What's most important to me is keeping the stock like driveability - hence I'm not interested in large singles or extensive mods.

Would the STU turbo v4 be the best fit for what I'm looking for? I think so - but wanting to confirm.

I don't have a FMIC - still on stock SMIC - which I think should be adequate for what I want in my power goals? It sounds like above 500 whp would require FMIC, injectors, ECU mods.
This kit will fit your needs sir, but you will need to upgrade a few things on the car. For example injectors, fuel pump, E85 sensor, FMIC etc.. Also, you will need to think about stock ECU w/piggy back and fuel cut mod or standalone.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hello all, This question is for everyone that is running Stu hybrid setup or any modified twin setup. Can someone guide me to a tuner that is familiar with this setup.

·
Moderator, l337 M0d3r4t0r
12,199 Posts
Well, tuning what @ego0332? Stock computer there is no tuning... If you are standalone anyone should be able to... The MS3PRO PNP is setup for handling stock twins as a standalone. FYI.

AEM V2 might work out of the box as well, but all others will work but will need the tuner to do work and you will need to wire up the VSV's. IMO the MS3 PNP pro is the best option

·
Registered
70 Posts
Well, tuning what @ego0332? Stock computer there is no tuning... If you are standalone anyone should be able to... The MS3PRO PNP is setup for handling stock twins as a standalone. FYI.

AEM V2 might work out of the box as well, but all others will work but will need the tuner to do work and you will need to wire up the VSV's. IMO the MS3 PNP pro is the best option
Sorry guys i am not trying to start another conversation. Just thought to post up the question here with like minded people.
I have a PRO EFI 128. I did bring it to a local shop here and i did get a nice tune but to be honest the tuner wasn't really interested in spending time on tuning the twins.
I just want a second opinion and hope you guys and gals can send me to the right direction. I know have more in this kit.
I put down
536WHP 500WTQ on e85 26psi
486WHP and 463WTQ on pump Peak 21 psi
Here are my mods
  • Pro128 ECU supra manual kit
  • Stu twin hybrid garret GT28r setup
  • Upgraded THUK pipe
  • 19-36 lbs actuators
  • Ported OEM exhaust manifold
  • Ported oem Bypass valve
  • ARP head studs
  • GSC s1 Cams
  • GSC beehive w/Ti retainers
  • Shimeless buckets
  • 3port boost solenoid
  • 4inch ETS intercooler
  • 4inch PWR exhaust cat less
  • PWR downpipe cat less
  • PWR pulley kit
  • TRD thermostat
  • Koyo radiator
  • Koyo radiator cap
  • Modified oil pump
  • New oem water pump
Transmission
  • FX500 with heavy duty pressure plate, with ceramic disc
  • New Oem flywheel
Fuel setup
  • Walbro 525 "Hellcat" fuel pump
  • FID 1300 injectors
  • Fuel Lab 6 micron fuel filter
  • Radium multi-port fuel pressure regulator
  • Radium fuel rail
  • Flex fuel kit sensor

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Sorry guys i am not trying to start another conversation. Just thought to post up the question here with like minded people.
I have a PRO EFI 128. I did bring it to a local shop here and i did get a nice tune but to be honest the tuner wasn't really interested in spending time on tuning the twins.
I just want a second opinion and hope you guys and gals can send me to the right direction. I know have more in this kit.
I put down
536WHP 500WTQ on e85 26psi
486WHP and 463WTQ on pump Peak 21 psi
Here are my mods
  • Pro128 ECU supra manual kit
  • Stu twin hybrid garret GT28r setup
  • Upgraded THUK pipe
  • 19-36 lbs actuators
  • Ported OEM exhaust manifold
  • Ported oem Bypass valve
  • ARP head studs
  • GSC s1 Cams
  • GSC beehive w/Ti retainers
  • Shimeless buckets
  • 3port boost solenoid
  • 4inch ETS intercooler
  • 4inch PWR exhaust cat less
  • PWR downpipe cat less
  • PWR pulley kit
  • TRD thermostat
  • Koyo radiator
  • Koyo radiator cap
  • Modified oil pump
  • New oem water pump
Transmission
  • FX500 with heavy duty pressure plate, with ceramic disc
  • New Oem flywheel
Fuel setup
  • Walbro 525 "Hellcat" fuel pump
  • FID 1300 injectors
  • Fuel Lab 6 micron fuel filter
  • Radium multi-port fuel pressure regulator
  • Radium fuel rail
  • Flex fuel kit sensor
Got a dyno graph? Where are you located?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Got a dyno graph? Where are you located?
Here is my first session. Ignore blue line on the first image_0399. The tuner was comparing my setup to a single.... I mentioning the research on this setup and how it should be performing. He really didn't seem interested, even when we noticed the 4500 spool factor and why i was hitting a wall. I reached out to Stu, shared my sheets and right away he knew there was an issue and after trouble shooting with him, noticed the rear VSV was stuck open and faulty on turbo 2 and was not moving. After swapping it out, thank you Stu for the spare. I was at a 100 percent, the car is building boost at 3000 to 3200 rpm. Went back 2 weeks later, no luck. The tuner did 3 pulls, adjusted something and done. Lost 15 hp and said he notice better response, better curve on the graph but that's all he could do. I didn't grab my final dyno sheet, i did request it. I will upload it if i do get it.
I am based out in IL.

Once again no issues with the tuner, I just want second opinion from someone that is very familiar with our setup and has tuned supra's on Stu's hybrid TT.

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
Here is my first session. Ignore blue line on the first image_0399. The tuner was comparing my setup to a single.... I mentioning the research on this setup and how it should be performing. He really didn't seem interested, even when we noticed the 4500 spool factor and why i was hitting a wall. I reached out to Stu, shared my sheets and right away he knew there was an issue and after trouble shooting with him, noticed the rear VSV was stuck open and faulty on turbo 2 and was not moving. After swapping it out, thank you Stu for the spare. I was at a 100 percent, the car was building boost at 3000 to 3200 rpm. Went back 2 weeks later, no luck. The tuner did 3 pulls, adjusted something and done. Lost 15 hp and said he notice better response, better curve on the graph but that's all he could do. I didn't grab my final dyno sheet, i did request it. I will upload it if i do get it.
I am based out in IL.

Once again no issues with the tuner, I just want second opinion from someone that is very familiar with our setup and had tuned supra on Stu's hybrid TT.
update,
here is the last session.

Attachments

·
Moderator, l337 M0d3r4t0r
12,199 Posts
I mean if he isn't interested in tuning for you I'd be leaving.
For reference, I've made 430/435 ttq on pump with a cat, no cams, and stock JDM [email protected] 20 psi. While your results are not bad, I would have expected a little more than you got. Sounds like he gave you the canned tune. Meaning he made the base tune on one supra used it for your car and slightly tweaked it really never spending time on timing or other things. Now it's not cheap nor is it easy to get a full tune. It's one thing to tune VE tables, and spark advance. It's another to actually tune to near limits and utilize things like knock sensors. You probably got the I know this tune won't blow up the car and it will make good enough power. It's hard to find someone interested enough and vested enough to spend time to get an actual good tune for the sequential tiwns because they behave completely different than a single.

If you spend a 500-800 on tuning and maybe 2-3 hr of dyno time, you are usually getting a canned tune. Think of how many Toyota put in the stock computer...

The issue I have with standalone is that few ever use knock sensors and even fewer tune to the limit where the sensors are useful. Not the stock ECU lol, it's on full send but does a really good job at pulling timing when it hears knock.
Regardless you should make another thread and link it.

3221 - 3232 of 3232 Posts