Supra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
BAMBI! BAMBI!
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,

Just wanted to run something by you real quick. I had not too long ago a FMIC installed and everything was great, Except I dropped about 1 psi of boost. First of all is that normal?

Second, after having the FMIC on for a while, I was on a cruise and we were on the highway driving pretty fast for a extended amount of time, now it seems anytime I'm getting into boost I have a Very loud whining sound. It does not sound anything like the Death whine of the Stock twin's though, plus I am holding boost and car pulls strong just like it did. Could this be related to the Wastegate letting out too much air or air too fast and that is why I've lost a little boost as well?

It used to run 16psi and boost spike when cold to 18 on the Stock Sidemount. Now it's only hitting about 14-15psi and wasn't really getting better than that, until yesterday morning when it was cold I got it to spike 17.8psi.

Third, I have a Blitz SBC-ID Boost controller hooked up to the car, i've tried turning up the boost, but I don't know if I'm using it wrong because it still won't boost more. They way you set boost is by 0-100 format and not by psi. Could this issue be from my boost controller?

Please any information or suggestions to check would be great!

Thanks, Lee.

·
Hardtopper
2,473 Posts
You have a boost leak, or leaks..

·
Registered
676 Posts
I had the same problem; my BPU would boost 16-17psi and one day while on a cruise I heard a whining noise as the car built boost. It would not boost over 10psi. I drove home jacked the car up and saw a huge tear on rubber hose connected to my smic. So, I'd presume you have a boost leak somewhere.

·
BAMBI! BAMBI!
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the Input guys, I've searched all my hoses and fittings...but I'll perform a Pressure test next.

Does anyone have any Experiance with the Blitz SBC-ID Boost Controller?

·
1,070 Posts
Thanks for the Input guys, I've searched all my hoses and fittings...but I'll perform a Pressure test next.

Does anyone have any Experiance with the Blitz SBC-ID Boost Controller?
The 1 psi drop is normal after installing a FMIC.

You're probably still on stock twins, did you set the SBC-id to AC instead of WG? Also, setting it to 35 used to give me 15psi.

·
Registered
13,569 Posts
I still have the SBC-ID and I had it all through my stock twins years. Like a lot of other ebc's, keep in mind that the SBC-ID has two settings which both have an impact on how high the boost will go. The set and the gain both need to be adjusted. The set is the target boost as a percentage of 100%, the gain determines how fast the boost climbs and when the solenoids will start pulsing to limit the boost. Without digging through my notes I really don't recall where I had mine adjusted.

·
BAMBI! BAMBI!
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for more info guys.

Nick_95_6sp, I forgot about how the Boost controller has two settings, I remember reading about that, but forgot. If you wouldn't mind and its not too much trouble, if you could please search for those notes, so I could see where you had your's programmed. I'm on the Stock twins, in TTC mode.

I guess if I turn up the boost and it does go up, but I still have this noise...I dont know what it could be. I might need to do the Wastegate Spring mod??

·
BAMBI! BAMBI!
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tried to mess with the Blitz SBC-ID tonight, no luck, couldn't boost past 15.1. (Used to be 16psi with SMIC).

If anyone can help me use this Boost Controller I'd appriciate it.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Tried to mess with the Blitz SBC-ID tonight, no luck, couldn't boost past 15.1. (Used to be 16psi with SMIC).

If anyone can help me use this Boost Controller I'd appriciate it.
I'd check for boost leak, first. If that checks out you might want to try doing the spring mod. In my experience, with the Greddy Profec B, with no spring mod, it would only let me boost 16psi on the lowest setting turned all the way. I installed a spring that didn't have too much resistance. After this, I now hold the same 16psi with the boost controller lowest setting turned to the middle.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Ludalee,

Blitz DSBC operating manual http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/blitz_sbc_id/index.html

#1 - Waste Gate Setting - Main Menu - Set to AC(actuator) for stock twins

#2 - Channel Settings - The DSBC has 4 Channels.....meaning 4 different Boost settings & Gain settings.

Boost setting scale is 0 - 100

Gain setting scale is 0 - 100

My settings are:
Channel Boost Gain

1 55 10
2 70 10
3 85 15
4 100 20

The scales are confusing. 0 is your stock setting. 100 is the maximum setting. I have not found these scales to be linear.

The output reading for boost will be in psi.

You will not have an output reading for gain. Gain is the rate at which the turbo spools up. Be careful about how high you set the gain. If the gain setting is too high, your turbos will spool up very quickly & may spike leading to an overboost condition, a pressure surge & possible turbo failure.

Also, my settings are perhaps higher than those living at sea level. The barometric pressure here in the Denver area is about 85% of sea level.......ie 5,500'.

I suspect you are not boosting to your original level because the internal volume of your new intercooler is larger than that of your stock intercooler.

I most always run on Channel #3, however I am very conservative & rarely boost to maximum ....16.3psi on this setting for me. I like how fast the turbos spool up at low RPM.

These are some guidelines to work around. Please post back & let us know if this info helps.

·
BAMBI! BAMBI!
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tec, I really appriciate the write up and info! I will go home tonight and do some more testing with my Boost Controller.

So two questions, with the 0-100 scale, 85 is only 16PSI? That's what I'm reading from that, just trying to verify. (also if you could like out your PSI on the 1-4 settings)

Because I was only setting it to like 15, lol. I thought before my FMIC install it was only set at 8.6 and I was hitting 16PSI on the SMIC...but maybe I need to change the AC setting too....

Second question, do you have it set on Manual or Automatic? I think in the owners manual it says you have to have on Manual when on Twin's.

Once again, thanks!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Ludalee,

#1 - Boost setting is 85 for me. It translates into 16.3psi for me in the Greater Denver area approx 5500' above sea level. Kansas City is aprox 1100'? above sea level. This means your ambient barometric pressure is significantly higher than here in Denver. If you had a stock SMIC, you would boost to 16.3 psi on a lower setting than 85. Sooo..... 85 may result in a higher boost pressure for you.

However, you now have a larger volume intercooler, which I suspect, may have a negative effect on developing maximum boost.

I developed my settings based on trial & error. I did not record the other setting results. You will just have to experiment.

#2 - Manual setting, not Automatic....or Scramble.

#3 - Actuator Setting

Again, be careful about your Gain setting. When you have it all dialed in, it can be a dramatic difference........quite addictive. But too much & bye bye turbos.

·
BAMBI! BAMBI!
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm gonna be working on the car again this Saturday, trying to adjust the Boost Controller and see if I can hit some higher boost.

About the High pitched whining noise though, I checked all intercooler piping etc, I might need to take a more thorough inspection. Could this be caused by a Un-balanced turbo? It's not the death whine and Turbo's are boosting all the way to redline...I'll need to do a pressure test Sat. as well.

·
BAMBI! BAMBI!
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey everyone. Just wanted to update you and let you know I finally caught a nice day here and some cars met up. So I had a chance to go out and mess with teh Boost Controller. I set it up as follows

Set - 60
Gain - 15

And the turbo's come on very strong and holds proper boost. I'm seeing 17PSI out of this set up.

I still have yet to figure out the High Pitched Whistle type of noise, but it must not be too big of a deal...probably a hose somewhere.

Just wanted to say thanks for all the help and input!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts