Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i want to know your success or horror stories with the experiences of replacing your stock twins with used ones. i dont want to hear about how you blew them and how hard replacing them was...i want to hear how does it drive and feel, %100 or not, do they seem to last, are they slugish or stronger, do you have confidence in them, or are there always little problems, and if its worth buying used stockers if you cant afford a budget single because it costs too much, emmissions, tickets, etc.

i have a feeling my stockers will blow sometime, and at my status, i can only afford used stock twins. and if i ever were to get a sp budget kit or something like it, it would be my daily driver and i live in so. california. dont want to deal with my auto tranny, emmissions, and cops. i just wish i can get 500hp on stock twins for ever, without eventually blowing them, but of course thats not possible. thanks in advance for your time

·
Registered
639 Posts
My original OEM turbos (high range one) blew about 49K miles.. I found a guy that had just taken some stockers off his 98TT and I bought them with a few thousand miles.. The labor almost as much as turbos themselves but car ran much stronger and they've lasted me to 123K miles.. They are about to go and I have SP kit waiting..

If you can find someone selling a set of stockers that were recently replaced under warranty (hard now with cars getting older) and buy them for discount price then that would be way to go.. Someone that had the originals replaced recently under warranty and then decided to go single.. Always consider if a turbo timer was used on them and the boost levels they were run at when buying used if it can be determined....

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the "just replaced under warranty" tip, never thought about that. how much did you pay for the labor and the used stockers? i know its a very expensive price, but how much does the stock twins go for, new, from toyota again?

i bought a warranty somehow, which covers the turbos. so when i go to toyota to get them replaced, all i have to do before that is put everything back to stock? is there anyway they can find out it has been modified?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had 130K on my old turbos, then bought some used turbos from PHR with @ 35K for $550. They work great, I never push them over 18psi though, even if they are newer. If you dont want to pay for the labor, use the factory repair manual its very strait forward, I would say the only thing that stumped me a couple of times was running the vacumm lines towards the rear of the engine, along with the removal of the EGR system. That was my first time doing anything major to my car, and it still runs.:D

·
Supraless
666 Posts
I've heard that for $500-600 you can get your stock twins rebuilt. That's the route I would go if I was on a budget and had a blown turbo.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I just replaced a blown stock turbo with a 30K mile used stock turbo for $100. It works great! No problems here. Feels stronger than before. I did the work myself so the replacement cost me very little.
Tony

·
Registered
208 Posts
I have some stockers off my 94 with 34k on them and they are strong. Email me if interested.

John

1 - 8 of 8 Posts