Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

Well, I'm not sure who all saw that I was selling my car. Well, I "sold" the car for $23,000. It turns out that the guy forged the check. So... He drove off with my car, and I was left with a worthless piece of paper. (I didn't know the check was worthless until about a week later). I am asking for your help. The car was a 1997 Limited Edition 15th Anniversary RSP 5-speed. It has a minor scratch along the drivers-side rear fenderwell. It has stock rims on it with Khumo ECSTA tires. I sold the car to the guy in Asheville. The name he gave me was Rodrick (or Rod) Olds. Black male about 6'5" and close to 230 lbs. He looks young for his age (he has what I would call a baby face). He is in his mid to upper 20's. He said he was driving back to Chicago. The liscence plate on the car was South Carolina 675 SAY. I need your help in finding my car so I can get it back! Thanks everyone.

Phillip

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have not been able to file a report yet. I have told the insurance company what happened and they are going to treat it as if the car was stolen like from the driveway or something like that. I am going to get the report on Monday. (I am away from town)

·
Hardtopper Once Again!
1,709 Posts
I am very sorry to hear about your situation and hope that it gets resolved. That being said, it is this reason I will not let the person drive off with a car without being certain the funds are good and in my account. By any chance did you give him the title? If so, he may have made the mistake of registering the car and you may be able to track it down from the VIN.

Good luck,
Dave

·
Stock Body Supras FTW
1,229 Posts
good luck finding it sounds like he had it all planed out.

·
ELITECUSTOMBODY
6,552 Posts
sorry to hear that,I was in simmilar situation 11 years ago,since then I do not take any kind of checks when selling a car,unless the buyer meets me & picks the car up at the bank after I cash the check

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah i have learned not to take checks now... i don't think that i will ever take a check from someone unless we are at the bank... =/

he has the title and all of that... im hoping that he will try and register it... im also praying that he does not chop her up! =*(

·
DTM/JDM Enthusiast
699 Posts
sorry about that man... I doubt it will turn up down here in FL though. But I paid for my car with a check and everything was straight with me. What I did was give him the check and he gave me the keys, but kept the title until the check cleared then he mailed it to me. So not all people are total jerkoff's...

·
UNLIMITED !
1,411 Posts
Let's see-

* Did he gave you a Bank's check ( Cashier's check ) ? Hope you didn't accept a personal check-

*Do you have a bill of sale and also copy of his drivers license? (I'm obviously assuming that you don't) Those are simple details that most people forget to obtain when finalizing a transaction. It is imperative to get those details in order to prevent something like this of happening.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation, hopefully it will get resolve in no time.

BEST OF LUCK !!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Wow...good luck. I am selling my celica and I've heard about all the fraud going on I'm like thinking about just accepting paypal. Everything is forged these days that even some banks don't pick up on the cashier's checks/money orders until too late. Then if you get cash got to make sure it is all real. It sucks these days with all the scammin'.

·
Centralia Zombie Patrol
1,371 Posts
Hopefully the idiot will do something stupid like try to take it to a local Supra meetup.. It doesn't matter how well he had it planned, the ego will ALWAYS get the best of a thief.

·
Registered
881 Posts
A friend of mine had that happen to him...the guy (Same descriptioin) BTW, immediatly sold the car to some lady, and she was tagged and driving is around when she got pulled over and the car taken from her. I think they eventually caught the guy. But man was that check professional looking...even had a phone number you could call to "verify" funds. The guy had some skillz forging cashiers checks.

·
SF's Cleanest
7,179 Posts
Everybody please do what you can to help Phillip out, he's a great guy and he doesn't deserve something like this. Lets find this bastard and get his money / car back.

·
First to full boost?
465 Posts
Damn to thats fucked up , file that report , get his ass thats so messed up good luck with everything yeah man ppl will always try and find a way to screw you over with buying cars , this stupid mother fucker already put it on ebay!!!! http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...ory=6447&item=4542355937&rd=1#ShippingPayment
how dumb can you be , some plz get his ass.

Vehicle Description

Hello you are looking at my 1997 Limited edition Toyota Supra. This is one of the rarest Supras you will find. The car has not been "tricked out" or anything it is all stock. It has never been raced or ragged out. All power options work and there are no warning lights. There are almost 68,000 original miles. I have all records for all work done, oil changes, tire rotation, fluid changes ect. No major work has been performed. The car is a non-turbo model but does have the targa top. We did add an aftermarket cd player and air filter. New tires were just put on less than 5,000 miles ago. This car will bring someone years of enjoyment. KBB is $16,000 for suggested private party sell but I am taking any other reasonable offers. If you have anymore questions or offers please email me at [email protected] I reserve the right to end the auction early.I WILL NOT SHIP THE CAR, LOCAL PICKUP ONLY. I WILL NOT ACCEPT ANY TYPE OF CASHIER CHECKS EITHER CASH ONLY. I HAVE THE TITLE IN HAND SO IT WILL BE A FAST TRANSACTION.

·
Registered
139 Posts
oh man, I'm totally going to mess with this guy on ebay and ask if I can come see the car, hahaha.

edit: crap the auction already ended and for 100 bucks no less! how did no one bid on that? :wtflol:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts