Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so yesterday i decided to take my car out for the first time in a few weeks...
I was heading to the gas station with a friend behind me and he told me that my brake lights were not working...

If i turn the lights on, the tail lights come on, but when i step on the brakes the stop lights do not come on at all...the only light that works when i hit the brakes is the LED strip...

So i go to check the fuses, which BTW i will never ever do again...I didnt think it was gonna take an hour to check the fuses under the dash...the fuse box is in a horrible place..they might as well have buried it under the engine somewhere...
So finally i get to the fuse only to find that it is not blown...so i take another 30 mins trying to get the kick panel back into place the way it was..

So now i am asking for help here...what could be my problem...i finally have the time ot drive my car and i cant becasue my fuckin brake lights decided to just stop working out of nowhere with no warning...who knows..they might have not been workin for a while..my friend told me since he was following me yesterday..

also just a quick note if it matters, but a few months back the second brake light from the left would always go out...the taillight would turn on but when i stepped on the brakes just that brakelight didnt work, but all the others did..i changed the bulb twice and havent had any problems since, until now and NONE of them work now...and yes i tried to replace a bulb just in case some sort of freak thing happened and they all burned out at the same time...

ok any help is appreciated...i am hoping it is something easy and stupid like a relay of some sort..i already had a few people tell me that its a short somewhere but i refuse to beleive them since they probbaly know nothing...

thanks
Ant

·
Premium Member
673 Posts
I wish the administrators wouldn't have disabled the search function because this is a very well known problem with these cars. There is a write up in the problem solving section on the mkiv.com site :

http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/failed_lamp_sensor_fix/index.html

It has to do with the Lamp Failure sensor box which is in the drivers side rear quarter panel behind the plastic interior panel clipped into the side of the sheet metal.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wish the administrators wouldn't have disabled the search function because this is a very well known problem with these cars. There is a write up in the problem solving section on the mkiv.com site :

http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/failed_lamp_sensor_fix/index.html

It has to do with the Lamp Failure sensor box which is in the drivers side rear quarter panel behind the plastic interior panel clipped into the side of the sheet metal.

thanks

yeah your tellin me abou tthe search...i woulda found it easily but no search

thanks

ant

·
A zone of danger.
1,175 Posts
Why would it cost you anything? All you have to do is dab the broken circuit connection with a small amount of solder and you're done. I had the same issue last summer and had it fixed in 30 minutes total.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i didnt do it yet but i can see the hardest part ofthe whole thing is gonna be taking the interior apart and getting it back together the way it was...i cant stand rattles inside my car..and this is the reason why i hate body work and interior work casue its so fuckin hard to get the plastics back the way they were and not rattle

ant

·
Boostin'
146 Posts
I had the same problem last week, I checked my bulbs, then my fuses, it turned out to be the stop light switch on the brake pedal. Check that as well, it's very easy to change.

·
A zone of danger.
1,175 Posts
i didnt do it yet but i can see the hardest part ofthe whole thing is gonna be taking the interior apart and getting it back together the way it was...i cant stand rattles inside my car..and this is the reason why i hate body work and interior work casue its so fuckin hard to get the plastics back the way they were and not rattle

ant
It's seriously cake. There's only two panels to remove, and they're held in by screws. I've had those particular panels in and out 3-4 times and dont have rattle issues...

·
LoveHz
747 Posts
It's seriously cake. There's only two panels to remove, and they're held in by screws. I've had those particular panels in and out 3-4 times and dont have rattle issues...
if they do start to rattle... just use a little rubber adhesive aka rubber glue...

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
nah no problems..i did it..took about ahalf hour and the panels went back in better then they were before i did it...they dont clip together like some other panels..they just screw back together...it made it easier.
thew soldering was easy too...took me and my friend a while to find the bad joint but we eventually realized what to look for and fixed it..now my problem is fixed

thanks
Ant

·
A zone of danger.
1,175 Posts
Thats good news. :) Glad to hear things went well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts