Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it safe to store a 54 gallon drum of c16 in my garage? I would think that as long as I keep it sealed it should be safe. Just dont want a drum of race gas exploding in there. So who stores race gas in the garage and any problems with fumes?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,417 Posts
I've had a drums of race fuel in my garage for the past 2 years - no problems.

·
BPU is so 1997
5,349 Posts
It needs to be sealed air tight and out of direct sunlight. As long as it is, you shouldn't get any fumes.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Friend of mine and I share barrels of C-16. My wife absolutely refuses to have it at our house due to 3 cars in the garage (space limitations). We also just had a new baby and she doesn't want to worry about bombs going off if you know what I mean.

My friend made a rolling stand that the barrels can fit on with wheels on it. He has a detached garage and his hot water heater is NOT in the garage, which is nice. The only recommendation I could make if you are going to keep it in the garage with a hot water heater around is to bleed the barrel every week or so.

Meaning...crack it open and release the pressure, then seal it back again. Also what HUA said is correct. If you store it outside, make sure its covered and out of direct sunlight. If you have landscapers....make sure they know not to stand around it and smoke or whatever - LOL. Some of this is very common sense, but you would be surprised how stupid people can be sometimes.

Shane

·
NFA Pimp
2,735 Posts
You might want to put some grounding straps on the barrels as well. Just in case of static eletricity might set off the fumes. One of the recommendations given to us by the VP reps when we had 8 barrels laying around the shop.

·
Banned
216 Posts
this probably isnt the case since garages hold cars with gas in the tanks, but make sure this isnt something that could void your homeowners insurance in case of a fire. most likely its not, but better safe than sorry.

·
BPU is so 1997
5,349 Posts
I don't see the difference between a drum of gas versus two Escalades in the garage. But I'm sure an insurance company would. :)

·
Banned
216 Posts
another thing you could try would be one of the those plastic shed;s that alot of people who live in town houses have. the only problem i could see with that is i imagine it gets fairly hot on a hot day, but if you stick it in some guarnteed shaded place, it could be a good option.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
nolessthan150 said:
another thing you could try would be one of the those plastic shed;s that alot of people who live in town houses have. the only problem i could see with that is i imagine it gets fairly hot on a hot day, but if you stick it in some guarnteed shaded place, it could be a good option.
I thought of this. Does heat affect it at all or just direct sunlight? It gets pretty hot outside in the summer in florida. Would an outside storage bin of some sort be better than in the garage? :dunno:

·
Registered
392 Posts
Just be careful if it gets hot and cold a lot, the gas and metal expand and contract at different rates do to changes in temp. some of my friends have had their gas cans blow up in their garage before, but it wasnt c16, just cans for lawnmower/weedwacker/chainsaw and whatnot.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
What about freshness...how long can you have this there before it starts going stale?

·
Premium Member
4,417 Posts
I think you guys are really making this more complicated than it needs to be. These drums are very strong.... If VP ships their fuel in it I think they are plenty strong enough to stay in a pretty tame environment like a garage.

My distributor keeps about 70 drums in an old 18 wheeler trailer... it must be 120 degrees in there and they're fine.

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
Jim Swantko said:
I think you guys are really making this more complicated than it needs to be. These drums are very strong.... If VP ships their fuel in it I think they are plenty strong enough to stay in a pretty tame environment like a garage.

My distributor keeps about 70 drums in an old 18 wheeler trailer... it must be 120 degrees in there and they're fine.
Better safe then sorry :)

·
Ex Supra Owner
1,077 Posts
i always have a cigarette in my mouth when im pouring fuel into my car with the 5 5gal contaniers i have in my garage. as people say its not safe but a ember doesnt ignite the fuel as proven on myth busters its the fumes that ignite and to do that an open flame above 500 degrees must do that or a spark to the fume, even throwing a cigarette on the gas wont explode since the cigarette burns at 400 degrees while inhaling, you should be fine with storing this fuel in the garage, just keep it away from teh water heater and youll be fine :)

·
Super Moderator
4,432 Posts
Since so many are making way too big deal out of this...you can always store it in my garage....of course i will use it though :) Stored gas in my garage for a while...never a problem.

·
Boost Junkie
12,616 Posts
I store mine in the garage as well. It is a pretty tame environment. Just have to use common sense around it and keep the kids away, if you have any, and the wifey too;)

Steve K.

·
488ci V10 Power
1,785 Posts
I've stored C16 for years in my garage with no issues.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts