Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep losing all of my coolant every couple thousand miles and I can not figure out where it's going. After I drive sometimes I check around with a blacklight b/c I know coolant glows, but so far I have found no trace of it. It's getting me kind of worried; the only place I can think that it might be going is the motor! But it doesn't seem like it. I've lost a huge amount of coolant and my car still runs fine and I haven't really noticed any smoke or strange smells.. so what's the deal? I've checked around all over at the front of the car, on top and underneith, also with the bumper off. I see nothing. Any idea??

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Check your water pump, it should have a small pressure release nipple on the underside, right behind and below where stock fan mounts onto the pump. This valve blows excess pressure out, and might be stuck open, or faulty or something, and leak coolant while you're driving.....

Look for it from the Alternator side.

·
DONT HASSLE THE HOFF
893 Posts
I lost all my coolant after a few thousand miles and couldn't quite figure out where it had escaped from. Seemed the radiator cap went bunk on the seal and over the span of the miles it must have slowly evaporated out. I assume this was the problem since I have not had any problems after getting a new cap on there. Just my experience.....

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great, thanks for the info. I'll check on those later. Hopefully it's something pretty simple like that and not my head gasket or anything major.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey, I just thought I'd let you all know that I finally fixed my weird coolant leak. It turned out to be two things.. first, my pressure cap was screwed up, which apparently was not allowing the coolant to overflow into the overflow tank when it was overfilled.
I noticed the overflow tank was bone dry one day and figured the cap had to be bad. Second, I found a hose near the front-side of the engine that went to the bottom of the intake manifold which was leaking. I don't know why it was so hard to find it... but anyway, I think maybe since the pressure cap wasn't releasing coolant when it needed to, pressure built up and damaged the one hose and also forced a small amount of the coolant into the motor. I used to get white puffs of smoke out the back sometimes, but now there's no smoke at all, so it looks like that probably fixed the probem. Now I can get back to focusing on the clutch problems, lol..

-Paul

·
Registered
989 Posts
Hey Paul,

Glad to hear your problem is fixed.

I was looking at your car and couldn't help notice that those back tires look WIDE, are they bigger than 295 35 and how big is your rim?10.5, 11.0 or did you touch up the picture w/ photoshop.
Anyways, looks good WIDE.

·
Supra OG
2,392 Posts
Hmmm, I seem to be seeing similar symptoms on my supra. The overflow bottle has gone empty twice and I have a white residue that keeps showing up on the spark plug cover under the water heater hose near the rear of the engine compartment. This is with a TRD radiator cap that I put on about 4 months ago. Maybe I'll try tossing the old stock cap back on and see what happens.

traxon said:
Hey, I just thought I'd let you all know that I finally fixed my weird coolant leak. It turned out to be two things.. first, my pressure cap was screwed up, which apparently was not allowing the coolant to overflow into the overflow tank when it was overfilled.
I noticed the overflow tank was bone dry one day and figured the cap had to be bad. Second, I found a hose near the front-side of the engine that went to the bottom of the intake manifold which was leaking. I don't know why it was so hard to find it... but anyway, I think maybe since the pressure cap wasn't releasing coolant when it needed to, pressure built up and damaged the one hose and also forced a small amount of the coolant into the motor. I used to get white puffs of smoke out the back sometimes, but now there's no smoke at all, so it looks like that probably fixed the probem. Now I can get back to focusing on the clutch problems, lol..

-Paul

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
StSupDog, yeah i slightly modified that pic with photoshop, hehe. I was just foolin around. I've been meaning to put a real pic but I havent gotten around to it. I wish my tires were really that wide. Normally I use 285's.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts