Supra Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Mr. Brightside
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, so I went out today and got this weird noise from my engine that I've never heard before. It happens with the lightest touch of the throttle all the way to WOT. Maybe an exhaust leak from the manifold??? My car sounds like a 1985 F150 :(

-If the video is choppy the first time, play it again. It happened to me when I watched it and it was fine the second time

http://media.putfile.com/engine-noise

·
LexusTico
3,172 Posts
Hah.. mine sounds a teeny bit like that, but you can only hear it from the inside. It's driving me nuts.

I just installed a fuel system and I had the turbo and header out to tap for an EGT probe. You can't hear mine at all from the outside though.. :dunno:

·
Mr. Brightside
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
HotSoup, what do you recommend? Just tighten all the bolts, etc.???

·
Registered
9,759 Posts
definately go back through and check all bolt's and nut's to make sure they are tight....if thats not it, look for any cracks in the manifold...also if you let the car run for a little bit you should get some carbon deposit's in the area that is leaking.

Jason

·
Registered
480 Posts
if you want i can post a video of my 2jz without any exhaust sounds exactly like that lol. well almost like that. its for sure a leak. did you do anything under the hood before the noise?

·
Mr. Brightside
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ive taken a picture of what i think it is. Should there be any pipe coming off of this part of the wastegate? It sounds like the noise is coing directly from here and i put my hand down there while the car was running and exhaust is coming out from there. If there's not supposed to be anything connected there, could my wastegate (shitty brand) have busted up on the inside???

http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=5/14613134814.jpg&s=f5

·
Registered
9,759 Posts
ahh.....the truth comes out, LOL. My guess is the wastegate is stuck open, and YES there should be a dump tube there, not just a flange.

Jason

·
Mr. Brightside
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok, so how do i go about fixing this problem?
I'm probably going to order a new wastegate in the near future. I just had to get this crappy one as a temporary fix.

btw, thanks for the help jason

·
Registered
9,759 Posts
anthracitetarga said:
ok, so how do i go about fixing this problem?
I'm probably going to order a new wastegate in the near future. I just had to get this crappy one as a temporary fix.

btw, thanks for the help jason
take the wastegate off, take it apart and clean it. My guess is there could be some "slag" in the gate from the manifold...did you clean it up good before putting it on? Also, how well did the DP fit? I have the same "kit" and I need to know how much the DP needs to be modded to fit well. It seems to be made for an angled manifold, where this one is straight.

Jason

·
Mr. Brightside
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jason, I will try to take my wastegate off, but its in a damn tight spot. i didn't install my turbo, I had larry mcneil from innovations in orlando pu tit on for me, but the dp fit fine on the turbo as far as i know. where i had trouble was getting my midpipe to match the DP. The dp and manifold are turboXS from ebay. the DP has a two bolt flange while my midpipe had a three bolt flange. Before the turboXS dp, i had the RMM dp and the turboXS dp is longer, so ur midpipe will most likely need to be cut too.

Out to the gargae to try and attempt taking this manifold off.

·
Registered
9,759 Posts
anthracitetarga said:
Jason, I will try to take my wastegate off, but its in a damn tight spot. i didn't install my turbo, I had larry mcneil from innovations in orlando pu tit on for me, but the dp fit fine on the turbo as far as i know. where i had trouble was getting my midpipe to match the DP. The dp and manifold are turboXS from ebay. the DP has a two bolt flange while my midpipe had a three bolt flange. Before the turboXS dp, i had the RMM dp and the turboXS dp is longer, so ur midpipe will most likely need to be cut too.

Out to the gargae to try and attempt taking this manifold off.

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=348187

there is a tip in there for cleaning up the gate.

·
Mr. Brightside
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Jason, thanks for that link. I took apart the WG (was a pita to get off the car) and the only thing in it was a small piece of metal that looked like the thread part of a very small screw? Anyways, i took it off and it looks like the valve has set down a lil farther than it was so hoepfully that was th eproblem. Anyways, I'm gonna pout this wastegate back on, but im def. going to buy a nicer wg soon. What should I do about the dump tube? I know that I ordered one and that my mechanic put one on (how large it was, etc. im not sure) but shouldn't i have noticed if it fell of or not???? Do i just try to get a custom pipe made or something? What happens if i don't get a dump tube for a lil while? (until i order a new wg so i can get one made specifically for that WG)

·
Registered
9,759 Posts
anthracitetarga said:
Jason, thanks for that link. I took apart the WG (was a pita to get off the car) and the only thing in it was a small piece of metal that looked like the thread part of a very small screw? Anyways, i took it off and it looks like the valve has set down a lil farther than it was so hoepfully that was th eproblem. Anyways, I'm gonna pout this wastegate back on, but im def. going to buy a nicer wg soon. What should I do about the dump tube? I know that I ordered one and that my mechanic put one on (how large it was, etc. im not sure) but shouldn't i have noticed if it fell of or not???? Do i just try to get a custom pipe made or something? What happens if i don't get a dump tube for a lil while? (until i order a new wg so i can get one made specifically for that WG)
Was there evidence that a tube was welded on the flange on the gate? If not, it looks as if you got jipped by your mechanic. The problem with not having a dump tube is the exhaust is very hot and may melt any wiring that is in its way.

Jason

·
Mr. Brightside
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hmmm, who knows what happened. im gonna call him on mon. Anyways, got the wastegate put back on and my problem is fixed. thanks a lot for your help Jason. Now i just gotta deal w/ a dump tube issue. :(

1 - 15 of 15 Posts