Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Strange thumping from back tires...

I just got done having my motor mounts replaced among other things, i went with solid mounts which i know makes the car vibrate somewhat compared to the fluid filled mounts, but i still have this weird wobbly, thumping feeling which seems to come from the back tires from what i can tell. i thought the reason was the bad motor mounts but the thumping is still there :( i know its not the solid mounts cause even with wooden mounts it was smoother( don't ask..lol..), the guy that fixed my car seemed not to notice it, precision auto tune never said nothing when they changed my trany and differential fluids and their usually really quick to suggest what you still should have done. i know i'm not imagining it :scratch: the brakes are pretty new, the tires are only driven on about 6-8 month town driving, doesn't feel like a wheel bearing cause i had that on the front tire once and it was a lot stronger feeling, i doubt its a balancing or allignment issue cause its just too much of a wobble for that ......i can't really feel it when i drive faster but as soon as i slow down its defiantly there :( Why do none of these repair guys notice this :rolleyes: Please someone help me, i spend nearly $1000 on the car this month already and don't have much left to work with especially if i have to let someone troubleshoot it..... hubby is still in iraq and can't help me fix it unfortunatley.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i researched a bit more online and it all points to the U-JOINT. can anyone tell me how much it would aprox. cost me if i have someone fix it. Thanks

·
Registered
61 Posts
that depends on how many you want to replace....Its always better to replace in pairs. But shops usually charge 1/2 hour per u-joint. Although another route is to check with a diveshaft shop. If you can reomve it and take it to them then its really cheap.

·
NorCal Haters Club
2,251 Posts
I would check the ujoint and the carrier bearing. If they are okay, I noticed you had the diff fluid changed. When is it making the noise?( dirving straight, on and off the gas, around corners, ect) Little more info to help diagnose please.

·
Unnaturally Aspirated
330 Posts
I think what snowball is after with that question, it has happened to me. If the car sits for too long in one place the tires will become hard in that area causing a flat spot. You can feel a flat spot when driving slow and sometimes it resonates at certain speeds causing it to feel worse, but it may dissapear comepletely at higher speeds if it isn't very bad. Try switching your front and back wheels, then see if the vibration follows them or stays put - dead sure way to tell, and also very easy to do for free if you have access to jack stands, a jack, and a wrench (the latter 2 should be in the back of the car in the tool bag hopefully).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts