Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Time for change
6,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a little nervous about the 5 speed, so I was wondering about a 6 speed swap, I know that info is everywhere, but the search is down, and so I guess the question is.

What are some basic parts needed, rear end? Driveshaft etc, needed for the swap and how much power will a 6 speed hold with upgraded clutch?

·
no one likes the tuna
592 Posts
well it holds enough power to run 8's so i think your good. you need the trans, which is like 3k or more, if your lucky. also need clutch pressure plate throw out bearing, flywheel, slave cylinder. custome drive shaft. if you have a 95 or up your good. but if not your going to have to beat up the trans tunnel to make it fit

·
Time for change
6,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wow, so there is actually a chassis difference b/t the old and new eh? Odd.
I cannot use the 5 speed Slave Cyl. hrm.
I'd imagine there should be a 6 speed around I could use, somewhere.
It's in the future but I'll see.

·
no one likes the tuna
592 Posts
as of now the only one you can use is a v161 or a v160. which are from the supra.. people are trying to get t56's on but thats still in the works

·
Registered
273 Posts
Im actually about to do my swap very soon, and yes 3K for a v160 is lucky. I got 2 quotes yesterday and to say the least it was not pretty. Wait till you hear about buying the differential.

·
Dont let the name fool u
496 Posts
well it holds enough power to run 8's so i think your good. you need the trans, which is like 3k or more, if your lucky. also need clutch pressure plate throw out bearing, flywheel, slave cylinder. custome drive shaft. if you have a 95 or up your good. but if not your going to have to beat up the trans tunnel to make it fit

I have a 93 an I went from NA to TT swap full 6 spd an I didn't have a problem what so ever with anything fitting. Your right about the driveshaft though being short, also the rubber hockey puck are much different in thickness.

·
2JZ NA-T
5,413 Posts
3k for a 6speed is lucky i must admit, but i got more then lucky with the one im picking up tomrow.

anyone have a slave cylinder i can buy? im going to be in the process of doing the swap for the next couple of weeks. the tranny needs to be rebuilt a lil but i think its just the 3rd gear synchro.

I was wondering, does the driveshaft have to be made londer or shorter? b/c from the sound of it it sounds like the one in the 5spd NA is shorter then the 6spd TT?

does anyone know wat the driveability would be like if the NA rear end is mated to the v160?? ive been told i wont like it but how bad is it really?

·
Registered
273 Posts
3k for a 6speed is lucky i must admit, but i got more then lucky with the one im picking up tomrow.

anyone have a slave cylinder i can buy? im going to be in the process of doing the swap for the next couple of weeks. the tranny needs to be rebuilt a lil but i think its just the 3rd gear synchro.

I was wondering, does the driveshaft have to be made londer or shorter? b/c from the sound of it it sounds like the one in the 5spd NA is shorter then the 6spd TT?

does anyone know wat the driveability would be like if the NA rear end is mated to the v160?? ive been told i wont like it but how bad is it really?
Yeah it is shorter. I heard the drivability thing too. I forgot where i read it on SF that the first gear was not working properly, but it could of just been his tranny specifically.

·
2JZ NA-T
5,413 Posts
Yeah it is shorter. I heard the drivability thing too. I forgot where i read it on SF that the first gear was not working properly, but it could of just been his tranny specifically.

so wait, the NA driveshaft has to be made longer when doing the swap with the NA rear end? if so how would this be done and how much would it cost aproximatley?

·
Registered
288 Posts
for what its worth, i did a 6 speed swap when my 5 spd took a shit. the 6 spd is a beautiful thing, but it certainly did not come easily in a financial sense

·
Registered
273 Posts
so wait, the NA driveshaft has to be made longer when doing the swap with the NA rear end? if so how would this be done and how much would it cost aproximatley?
Sme people have done that but it is highly not reccomended. Use the TT drive shaft. From the budget on trying to make a custom shaft you can find a TT one already set.

·
2JZ NA-T
5,413 Posts
wow, i just picked up my v160 tranny, and from the start i can see that its not how i imagined it to be. first of all the part where the driveshaft connects to the tranny is completley different, its a 4 puck piece to which the driveshaft bolts up, and the w58 tranny the driveshaft just slides in, and it looks a lil bit shorter then the w58, which is very surprising to me too.

·
I rock like CRACK
1,010 Posts
wow, i just picked up my v160 tranny, and from the start i can see that its not how i imagined it to be. first of all the part where the driveshaft connects to the tranny is completley different, its a 4 puck piece to which the driveshaft bolts up, and the w58 tranny the driveshaft just slides in, and it looks a lil bit shorter then the w58, which is very surprising to me too.
Yes it's different, you'll need a 6spd D/S and your 5spd piece and have a driveshaft builder put your rear flange on the 6spd shaft and cut it to the correct lenght. Also you don't need to alter the trans tunnel to make the getrag fit.

No the tt shaft won't bolt right up unless you buy a 6spd diff.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts