Supra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did my plugs today and when I put the coil pack back in like a total idiot I tightened one of the two bolts down too tight and stripped it. How hard is it to get that stripped bolt out now? Thanks for any help.

Y

·
0 Posts
you can do one of a few things

1st. pull the bolt out and retap it with a bigger bolt

2nd. pull the bolt out and put a helle coil in it ( same size )

3rd. pull the bolt out and put a time sert in it (same size)

4rth. pull the bolt out and fill the hole and start over with a tap.

5th. leave it alone and hope the other bolt holds the coil pack in place ( I suggest one of the other ideas)

hope this helps if you have any questions about how to do it let me know.............

P

·
0 Posts
FUCK!! I just did the same thing. But the bolt broke off halfway in the coilpack, and halfway in the head because its holding tight. When it comes time to change plugs again should I just take it to Toyota and have them drill it out, or what should i do? I'm afraof causing more damage trying to get it out! yamaman22 had a couple ideas, but im not sure if i really understand them. I attached some pics of the f*cking bolt that snapped on me below! Thanks for any advice!

·
Old School
4,014 Posts
You folks need to invest in some Torque wrenches. :)

·
"Philzilla"
694 Posts
PictureMeRollin said:
FUCK!! I just did the same thing. But the bolt broke off halfway in the coilpack, and halfway in the head because its holding tight. When it comes time to change plugs again should I just take it to Toyota and have them drill it out, or what should i do? I'm afraof causing more damage trying to get it out!...
Your only choice for a quality, permanent fix is to use a tiny drill and screw extractor, and be very, very accurate with both. I promise you, no matter where you take it (Toyota, etc.), they will have trouble getting this one right. Some places may tell you that you have no choice but to drill it out bigger, but I believe that it would be possible to get out with a lot of work and a bit of luck.

Btw, I agree 100% with Lagtime - (for next time) invest in a torque wrench (one that does inch/lbs., not ft/lbs).

·
Live your dreams
922 Posts
You folks need to invest in some Torque wrenches.

Or ask your girlfriends/wives to do that job, with the hope, of course, that they're not into body building... ;)

I have to replace the plugs too and I hope not to face same shit...
I may take my own advice per above though...

Good luck to ya'll!

·
Blue 03 cobra I wish :)
251 Posts
PictureMeRollin said:
FUCK!! I just did the same thing. But the bolt broke off halfway in the coilpack, and halfway in the head because its holding tight. When it comes time to change plugs again should I just take it to Toyota and have them drill it out, or what should i do? I'm afraof causing more damage trying to get it out! yamaman22 had a couple ideas, but im not sure if i really understand them. I attached some pics of the f*cking bolt that snapped on me below! Thanks for any advice!

that is exactly happened to me
same place it broke out :(
now I am using one side only to hold the coil pack

Y

·
0 Posts
Broke bolt

OK here is the solution to the bolt braking

1: go to tool supplier and get a left handed drill bit and be really carefull and go real slow with it and it should come right out you will also have to put alot of pressure on the bolt with the bit so the bit will grab the bolt and not just drill into it, it you take your time it will come out..

2: PWPANAS has the other way to do it but you better be carefull and make sure that you drill straight

Hope this helps and if you have any q's let me know I have had to do this a couple of times on friends cars and Bikes...

·
Live your dreams
922 Posts
1: go to tool supplier and get a left handed drill bit and be really carefull and go real slow with it and it should come right out you will also have to put alot of pressure on the bolt with the bit so the bit will grab the bolt and not just drill into it, it you take your time it will come out..

I'd recommend using a center punch or a 'home made' center punch-like gizmo so as to avoid drilling off center, whichever extracting method you end up using.

Good luck!

P

·
0 Posts
supra_10 said:

I'd recommend using a center punch or a 'home made' center punch-like gizmo so as to avoid drilling off center, whichever extracting method you end up using.

Good luck!
center punch? :confused:

·
Live your dreams
922 Posts
PictureMeRollin,

center punch?

You need to make sure that you drill at the center of the broken screw. This tool (center punch) will enable you to punch an 'indentation' so that the drill bit won't 'drift' around.

If anybody can explain it better...

Go to a hardware store (auto parts store like Pep Boys may have it too) and ask for it. Once you see it you'll get the idea.

If you don't use it and your bit 'drifts' around, it may damage the thread.

I'd also start drilling with a right-hand (std) small dia bit as the first step and then step up to a larger left-hand or right-hand depending on the extraction method you choose to utilize.

Hope this helps.

Jay

P

·
0 Posts
aha, i get it now! I will try this out and let you know how it goes!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts