Supra Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I was driving the other day and heard what sounded like a exhaust leak. So I checked the whole exhaust system to find nothing. So I started the car to see if I could find the location of the leak, and I did. One of my bolts to the exhaust manifold was loose, so I tighened it up. At this time I decided to tighten them all. I had no problem until I got to the last one, at the rear of the exhaust manifold. When I started to tighten this one it wouldnt get tighter, and I notice that the stud was coming out with every turn. So I unscrewed the stud to find threads coming out with it. FUCK!!!! Can I fix this. The stud is not stripped it's the damn head that is stripped. Need help. Pease

·
BoostAddict4Life
2,012 Posts
pull out the stud get a head bolt, cut it about half way down, retap the head for 11mm by 8.5 i belive, get a nut that goes onto the head bolt.

·
Read Only
367 Posts
HTB said:
were is a good place to get one big stud though?
Your local gay bar should have one :bigthumb: Nah joke seriously your local NAPA store will have everything from bigger studs to tap and dye sets. everything you need.

Chris

·
Over Medicated
2,724 Posts
Or you could get a helicoil kit. That way you can still use the same size stud and don't have to fool with different size studs and bolts. Just another option...

·
Hardtopper
13,043 Posts
I would just use a helicoil... That has happened to me in the past with my old supra and I helicoiled it and had no problems.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Ditto on the helicoil....been there, done that many times on various places and always had great results.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts

·
feeding your habit
4,014 Posts
helicoil.

How many times does fixing something that ain't broke result in this scenario?

·
feeding your habit
4,014 Posts
cool/hot doesn't matter..... god invented torque wrenches for a reason.

If you don't know how to tap a hole, or use a helicoil, have someone else do it, otherwise you just made a fixable problem a much more involved problem.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts