Supra Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
25psi = 14" brakes :)
2,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, started it up this weekend, and have about 16 miles on it... LOL

Oil pressure on start up was near 80psi... Holy cow! (Cold idle is about 75, hot idle is just under 40 on this 20-50 break in oil.)

Accusump is working great. No leaks anywhere. (Had a fuel leak, but went back to the oil hose and fittings, untill I can get the new part replaced as there is a burr on the one fitting. (Crimped on end from Parker on SS line? Should be no leaks, but it would not stop leaking for anything.)

At 15psi it's running great. Have boosted a few to 19.5lbs according to the Profec E-01, and again tire spin is a problem :) (Can't wait to kick this baby up into the 25lbs+ range...)

Anyway, appears my oil mods were beneficial to the overall oil pressure eh? LOL Cruise hot is just under 60psi. Right where I wanted it.

There is still some very slight piston slap at start up, but it goes away when the motor is up to operating temp.

·
Impeller Head
2,832 Posts
Good news! Are you using an electrical or manual valve for the accusump? Those oil pressures are nice that I'd even settle for ~10psi less :) Ron

·
Do You Even HKS, Bro?!?
1,493 Posts
Greg
Great to hear you are finally getting to the point where you may be able to enjoy your hard work.

Can't wait to see it at the PAC NW Nationals!
Kevin

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
What piston to wall clearance are you running this time? Still Ross pistons?

·
Supra Fan
4,114 Posts
Great News! Im suprised your using 20w50 for break in. Keep us posted !

- Steve

·
Supra Fan
4,114 Posts
drjonez said:
not sure why that's surprising, you should always use 20w50 for initial startup....
I wasnt aware of that.Not to hijack, but do you recommend 20w50 for just initial startup, or for break in as well? Im using 10w30 for break in, but plan on using 20w50 once that period is over. I wonder if I should switch over to 20w50 now....Thanks for the info :)

·
boost freak
10,042 Posts
IMNSHO, 20w50 is too thick for everyday use. i always do intial startup on 20w50, let it run for .5h then drain and fill w/whatever weight is recommended as per the manual based on temp.

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
^yep... same here

·
25psi = 14" brakes :)
2,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
4k piston clearance on coated ROSS pistons. (everything is coated pretty much on this motor.)
I'm running the 20/50 because I wanted nice thick oil, and plan on running 20/50 full synthetic later on as well. (Same weight, but it does have a lower pour point. At the air temps we have now, in the mid 70's, the weight is not a problem.) I can also feel that the thermostat is working as it should, the oil cooler core end tank stays very cool compared to the side where the T-stat is located.

When I get this motor broken in, I'll see about some dyno time. I'm waiting on a Bosch wideband sensor to get accurate AF readings again before I start to do much with the tune.

On the oil front, the plan is to change the filters right now, and then again when I switch over to full synthetic later this summer. The assembly lube is really hard on these depth filtration filters. Clogs them up pretty quickly, and I've already seen the pressure drop about 5psi from start up. (Time to change the filter. LOL)

I'm using the Canton pressure controlled electronic valve. It is set to open at 20 to 25psi, and quickly refills. I can hear it working, and oil being pushed into the accusump, and being released at start up. (Switch on the dash to turn it off when I shut down the car, and then I flip the switch just before I crank over the engine to start and pre-lube the motor, then leave the switch on while it's running to prevent pressure loss while playing/driving.) I don't really need it most of the time, so I can leave it off when I want this way.

The sump is mounted to my subwoofer box. I'm using it as the grille. (Was wondering what type of grille to get, and this works fine.)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts