Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Damn my stomach is sick!
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to know what do you think:

you think is better to install a strioker kit (3.4l) or leave the car 3 liters?

As far as I know with a stroker kit I'll not be able to rev as high as the stock displacement (3.0) but it will have more low end power and more torque.
With the stock displacement we'll set up the red line to 10krpms and I think that it's almost impossible to do the same with a stroker kit...
What do you thinmk are the pro and the con?

My new fully built engine is 99% ready and the car should be at the dyno the first half of January.

We're going to dyno the car with the stock intake and immediately after with the VEILSIDE intake.

My idea was to build a 3.4l engine while I'll be crusing around with my new engine but I'm not sure if it will worth the work and the $$$

Thanks!

·
Vendor
4,400 Posts
stroker will also allow the turbo to spool quicker, but as you said with the new rod ratio you wont be able to rev as high, or as quickly.

·
1st Lieutenant Team BEYAW
1,915 Posts
:eek:

10k redline? that frickin rocks, i think that is worth not getting the stroker kit alone. how pimp is that? but if it is worth it to you for the extra help to spool, then you know what you have to do ;) what would you set the redline at with the stroker kit in there?

BTW, what stroker kit is it that makes it a 3.4L? i thought the JUN was a 3.3L kit.....

·
Damn my stomach is sick!
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
CROWER build whatever stroker kit you want...
It's just a matter of time and money.

·
Mamba Still On Top
3,462 Posts
I say do it. You would have quicker spool. You could still rev quite high so I dont think that you should shy away because you dont have as high a redline. Whatever you choose, good luck.

HTH, Mike:)

·
4,109 Posts
I think HKS makes a 3.4L Stroker kit as well...

·
Super Moderator
10,496 Posts
talltrini10 said:
I think HKS makes a 3.4L Stroker kit as well...

That is correct. The last Carboy magazine I saw had a pic of the whole set-up and a dyno sheet. With an HKS T-51R SPL DBB it made 1000 ps at 1.6 bar. With power like that at such low boost (relatively), who needs revs?

Ken.

·
Registered
108 Posts
If you're going with a huge turbo (which I would think you are) i'd say the stroker kit would be a good addition for quicker spool.

·
Super Moderator
10,496 Posts
87 mm pistons; 94 mm stroke. Less than 3400 cc's but more than 3350....hence, 3.4L.

Ken.

·
4,109 Posts
Actually, while we're on the topic, would doing a stroker kit be considered building the engine in terms of strength? IE, can a engine with a stroker kit be considered as strong as a car with a built bottom end with stock displacement?

·
Registered
250 Posts
The Jun is a 3.2L kit. Crower made a 3.4L kit, however it has never been tested on an actual 2JZ.
Someone on the forum ordered it last year I believe and kept getting the run around on a completion date.
HKS does indeed make the 3.4L kit just not too sure on the actual release date of it. I'd love to get my hands on one myself though.
As far as stroking or not, it depends on what you're looking for. If you want more low end torque/power then by all means go for it. If that isn't your biggest concern then just stay stock. Also your style of driving will come into play in deciding this.
Goodluck with your Supra. Post results of your current motor and whether or not you decide to build that stroker.

Chris

·
Super Moderator
10,496 Posts
talltrini10 said:
Actually, while we're on the topic, would doing a stroker kit be considered building the engine in terms of strength? IE, can a engine with a stroker kit be considered as strong as a car with a built bottom end with stock displacement?
Talltrini,

The pic I saw included a new crank, rods and pistons, all forged stuff. I believe the Jun kit is the same (although I'm not positive about this) so, yeah, you would have to consider these particular kits as building your bottom end at the same time as you were stroking it (and boring it for the 87 mm pistons in the case of the HKS).

Ken.

·
488ci V10 Power
1,785 Posts
everytime i've seen the jun or HKS stroker kit for sale overseas its been in the 10K range for the kit ONLY. then you need machine work, install, ect... probably cost around 20K for a installed stroker kit. Unless you have serious cash, this isnt for everyone.

·
BPU is so 1997
5,349 Posts
MK4LIFE said:
everytime i've seen the jun or HKS stroker kit for sale overseas its been in the 10K range for the kit ONLY. then you need machine work, install, ect... probably cost around 20K for a installed stroker kit. Unless you have serious cash, this isnt for everyone.
You forgot that you are talking about AtomicFabio here.

Boy is baller!

·
1st Lieutenant Team BEYAW
1,915 Posts
MK4LIFE said:
i have seen the JUN kit for $8200, but like you said, you need deep pockets for a project like that :(

·
Mid-life Realization!
2,530 Posts
MK4LIFE said:
If $20k could be considered in the ballpark in total, I'd say go all the way and invest in dropping/plumbing in a 4.3L V8 with a big single and be done with it....plus you gain an additional liter on top of the stroker:D

1 - 20 of 49 Posts