Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems that all that have went with a stroker on the 2jz also go with a huge single. since I could care less about 1000+hp from motors this size(lag monster), I would love to see the power band of a 3.4 stroker 2jz with say a sp63-67 dbb. I dont know if that would be big enough or not but im just saying ,a turbo thats just big enough to flow through out the full rpm range. 500-550 very responsive horse power would be sweet.
Anyone running anything similar to this?

·
Finally single
1,123 Posts
I always wanted to put together a supra with this setup, but most people on hear will tell us its a big waste of money. I dont care because i think it would make a great street car with an all around great powerband.

·
Premium Member
12,615 Posts
I have no idea why this was posted in Other Cars, but I am moving it to a more fitting location.

Pay attention where you post, peeps. ;)

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
The best way to look at it is to start with a power goal, desired powerband, what the car would be used for, transmission, etc... This is assuming that supporting mods arnt on a strict budget.

For someone who mainly drives on the street, doesnt do many highway pulls, and doesnt like to redline constantly, the 67 would be a good choice, possibly with a larger exhaust housing.

For more serious track use a 71 (appx) with 2 exhaust housings to switch between might be a better choice. With the added .4L the 67 would most likely have to be tuned down a little for track use to avoid excessive heat.

My dream setup would be 600-650hp from a 3.4L equiped engine with a turbo in the 67 range, the smaller HKS twins, or a twin setup using KKK turbos.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My dream setup would be 600-650hp from a 3.4L equiped engine with a turbo in the 67 range, the smaller HKS twins, or a twin setup using KKK turbos ^

yea thats the way I see it as well, I dont need 650hp but I think we are on the same page. One day down the road when I have done all that I want with my current car I would like to move on to the mkiv. Maybe storker kits will be cheaper by that time because that along with mid size single is the way I would want it. That would be a great responsive street car.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
A stroker with a 67mm trim turbo has been done I believe.

If your looking for info on something along these lines the do-luck supra did it with a HKS 3.4L stroker and a T04Z. I believe there are others as well. If you look around the forum this has been discussed. Words from Ken Henderson and Steve Theodore was that it would be hard to imagine a better track setup then this. I know Ken had in car experience in this setup.

So in short yes it has been done and YES it is worth it if you want the best track setup. This is something I will be going towards with y car as well.

PS: I think a 71mm would be to big for almost every track. A 67mm would be the most ideal I believe. Most running a 67mm for track have already stated it has MORE then enough power. the biggest downside to a 67mm on the track is although it spools fast it still doesn't move like an n/a car. So with the power in hand with the 67 you add the stroker to gain back that spooling time so it feels like your running a 61mm but with tons more power at hand.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
SupraMKIV2jz-GTE said:
I always wanted to put together a supra with this setup, but most people on hear will tell us its a big waste of money. I dont care because i think it would make a great street car with an all around great powerband.
FYI no one will tell you anything is a waste of your money on this forum. You spend your money how you wish to get what you want.

If you mean that most people on this forum will say, "Put a BIG ASS turbo on that thing!", then yes I agree they will more then likely say that.

But there are people in this forum that do not think that way...more then you would imagine. When people tell me I should go for something big I find it very effective to just explain to them that I'm not building a car for the drag strip but for other purposes where high HP means very little. That usually gets the point across.

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
JGsupraTT said:
If your looking for info on something along these lines the do-luck supra did it with a HKS 3.4L stroker and a T04Z. I believe there are others as well. If you look around the forum this has been discussed...

Mr JG is right and if you search you should find a thread within the last few months where I scanned and pasted the article with "before stroker" and "after stroker" dyno charts, the article was about that DoLuck Supra ...I forget what magazine it was in, but their was also a related discussion in that thread.

·
aKa Blk96SupraTT
3,866 Posts
Ok this might be a dumb question but i'm gonna ask anyways. With the stroker kit and the 67mm turbo, Will that just give more torque and better response on the bottom end? What are the other benifits? I know the point of the stroker kit is to get more power outta your motor but with a smaller turbo will it just improve response and thats it?

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
More displacement moves more air with each revolution, not just on the bottom end. But the bottom end improvement is kind of the easy "low hanging fruit". Power is proportional to air flow so how good the top end is depends on the same factors as it would without the stroker, such as valvetrain mods and the specific turbo flow capability.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Blk96SupraTT said:
Ok this might be a dumb question but i'm gonna ask anyways. With the stroker kit and the 67mm turbo, Will that just give more torque and better response on the bottom end? What are the other benifits? I know the point of the stroker kit is to get more power outta your motor but with a smaller turbo will it just improve response and thats it?
Like I said, better and quicker spool characteristics. By increasing the displacement your pushing more air and making your turbo spool faster. Thats the BIGGEST improvment.

Damn Nick beat me too it! :)

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
...two minutes too slow, JG, you shoulda had a stroker kit on your keyboard ;)

·
Finally single
1,123 Posts
Nick 95 6sp said:
Mr JG is right and if you search you should find a thread within the last few months where I scanned and pasted the article with "before stroker" and "after stroker" dyno charts, the article was about that DoLuck Supra ...I forget what magazine it was in, but their was also a related discussion in that thread.
It was turbo magazine and i have that issue.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Nick 95 6sp said:
...two minutes too slow, JG, you shoulda had a stroker kit on your keyboard ;)
lol thats what happens when you try to help someone while your suppose to be working. I either get myself in trouble for not doing my work or end up responding to late.

A stroker for the keyboard sounds awesome!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
thanks for the info everyone. It is cool that some have used the extra displacement to make for a more balanced motor instead of a peak power dyno queen. I love turbo power but hate lag or atleast gross amounts of it. 550 , maybe 600rwhp would be great with little to no more lag than my current sp58 on my mk3.
oh well I wont have a MKIV for some time so I have plenty time to think o fmy perfect high power fast responce set up

1 - 20 of 27 Posts