Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
1988 Supra, 7M-GE, 5 speed, removable hard top,
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just put new motor in my 88 supra. Apparently Jarred the transmission, and it went into gear. I have everything all put together and ready to start. But cannot get it out of gear. Any suggestions so I don't have to tear the transmission back out?
By the way I put a new clutch Master sunder on it and appears like clutch is working. But regardless if the vehicle's off, shouldn't have to push the clutch in right? I really don't want to have to tear it all back apart AGAIN!! SO ANY SUGGESTION WOULD BE SO APPRECIATED.
In case it's important, it's a non-turbo and has a five speed transmission.

·
Premium Member
1987 MA71 R154 Pearl White, Blue Velour
1,227 Posts
So probably a W58 transmission.

A couple of things. First, what exactly do you mean by "jarring" the transmission? Did you drop it, ram it up against the block, what?

Did you jar the shift handle to put it into gear? Details of your adventure please :D

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Putting drive shaft on, wasn't strong enough to just put it on the trans. I THINK it's still outta gear. BUT the thing the shifter does into, isn't centered anymore. And can't get shifter to move AT ALL.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
OP - slow down a bit and re-explain what's going on. Here's what you typed:

"Putting drive shaft on, wasn't strong enough to just put it on the trans. I THINK it's still outta gear. BUT the thing the shifter does into, isn't centered anymore. And can't get shifter to move AT ALL."

Which tells us very little. For instance - you weren't strong enough to put the drive shaft on. So where is it? In a corner fo the garage? At your friend Bob's? And agree a picture of the shifter would be good to see its position. I'm also wondering if the shifter is in, because it SOUNDS like you can still see the "thing the shifter goes into" and that means the rear shifter extension. So can we see what it looks like and get some more clear explanations?

·
Registered
89 Turbo - 2JZGE-T VVti (build/swap in progress)
369 Posts
Putting drive shaft on, wasn't strong enough to just put it on the trans. I THINK it's still outta gear. BUT the thing the shifter does into, isn't centered anymore. And can't get shifter to move AT ALL.
Please explain again in english

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I think he did something wrong installing the drive shaft, hit the starter, unsecured shaft spun and jammed and shoved the trans sideways. Now when he looks at his shifter (no boot installed yet), the trans back end is pushed to one side. That's all I can figure unless the shift lever is NOT installed yet and none of that happened. Meaning he can see down into the trans extension where the shift lever fits into that circular guide and THAT's not centered. Which is completely normal, and by now he's figured that out and has the Supra out cruising around. We'll see, I guess. Or we won't see, I guess.

·
Premium Member
1,227 Posts
@IdahoDoug did you like use the Force to come up with that hypothesis? Or is this from personal experience? Either way it sounds plausible! :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Um, I guess I should be happy you missed during my assembly of the Supra that I discovered the drive shaft center bearing can be mounted upside down. Causing the drive shaft to have a slight kink in it and not q-u-i-t-e reach the rear diff flange. Though you might be able to pull and yank it I suppose, but I stopped and because I had installed a LSD rear diff I thought "Hmm, maybe the mounting points are slightly different." and lay there on my creeper just looking. Then my face turned red and I quietly dismounted the center bearing and flipped it....

So, we may never know but if someone managed to do that, and tried backing out of the garage - instant carnage and a jammed sideways tranny. Hard to fathom, but I think the OP has moved on and we'll never know. Maybe like me, they don't WANT us to know!?? Heh...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry for the delay, been working on other people's cars. I used to hammer to put the drive shaft on. I got everything hooked up. I even put the shifter in by taking the cover off of the thingy that it goes in, believe it's a fork maybe. Thought maybe if the shifter was in there, that I could get it to move gears. But can't.
I actually have everything hooked up. Including stiffeners. Still out of gear apparently because we can turn the wheels and the drive shaft moves.
Just can't get the shifter to do anything. I think I have the drive shaft pretty straight.
There's one more issue and that's the starter went two rounds and quit too. Now it just goes clunk when I release the key. Other than that I think I have it all together. I'm just a small girl, not terribly strong. So sometimes gotta find other ways to do stuff. And been.TRYING to learn from books, and yall. But there's sooooo much u don't know, til u know. And really don't wanna tear it apart AGAIN if any way.possible not to. Thanks a bunch!

·
Registered
89 Turbo - 2JZGE-T VVti (build/swap in progress)
369 Posts
Sorry for the delay, been working on other people's cars. I used to hammer to put the drive shaft on. I got everything hooked up. I even put the shifter in by taking the cover off of the thingy that it goes in, believe it's a fork maybe. Thought maybe if the shifter was in there, that I could get it to move gears. But can't.
I actually have everything hooked up. Including stiffeners. Still out of gear apparently because we can turn the wheels and the drive shaft moves.
Just can't get the shifter to do anything. I think I have the drive shaft pretty straight.
There's one more issue and that's the starter went two rounds and quit too. Now it just goes clunk when I release the key. Other than that I think I have it all together. I'm just a small girl, not terribly strong. So sometimes gotta find other ways to do stuff. And been.TRYING to learn from books, and yall. But there's sooooo much u don't know, til u know. And really don't wanna tear it apart AGAIN if any way.possible not to. Thanks a bunch!
Alright I'm gonna guess the clunk means that the solenoid is engaging the flywheel. Is your battery charged up? The starter might not have enough juice to turn the motor over.
I suggest removing the driveshaft from the transmission and seeing if it will shift. I've never rebuilt a transmission myself so I'm not sure, but maybe a crooked driveshaft could put some load on the output shaft and bind up the shift forks? some pics or a video would help, especially for the starter problem.

·
Premium Member
1,227 Posts
@omicca yeah but what if the clunk means the starter is engaging the flywheel, but something in the trans is binding and the starter is like "yeah, no"?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok, starter ingages when jumper it from main 12v. Relays good. Plugs all way in. Unplugged alarm completely (no difference. )
Not sure what pictures can help. But will try.
Have shifter in w/ boots. Under that is what I notice is NOT moving. Had to take the 6 screws ouT & move that cover to get shifter in. Thought that maybe IF it was In, would shift. BUT NO.
I'll send a Pic of driveshaft, which I ONLY took loose from differential & trans. Looks straight back and forth. But appears like there's a tilt up in middle. Not sure how to fix that. YET. Here ya go. Hope it helps. Appreciate it Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design Vehicle
Automotive tire Tire Tread Motor vehicle Synthetic rubber
Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bicycle part Bumper Vehicle brake
Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design Vehicle

·
Registered
387 Posts
Your middle photo of the rear trans mount looks funny to me. The large hex head in the very middle always pokes down around 1/4" when the full weight is on the mount. Yours is not poking down at all.

Is your transmission lined up perfectly with the center line of the car, front to rear? Is the shifter hole centered in the hole in the tunnel, as viewed from inside?

You should not have to use any hammering to get the drive shaft in. The transmission end should just slip in easily once the splines are lined up. There's a little resistance because of the oil seal, but it still only needs arm muscle. Hammering on a driveshaft is asking for trouble.

·
Registered
Toyota Supra Turbo 7M-GTE with R154 5-speed
488 Posts
Based on what ^^^^^ said about the middle picture, you might go back and read what @IdahoDoug said his problem had been.

I’m currently in a similar boat, and yes, at one point resorted to the hammer. My next step is removing the driveshaft and seeing if I can shift then. I’m not stuck in gear, but can’t reach 5th or reverse.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
So, the trans looks rearward to me based on the shot looking up at the shifter vs the hole in the trans tunnel. And the black painted bracket referenced by Asterix can be mounted backwards. It's extremely hard to tell but it's slightly assymetric - look at the mount diagram in the factory manual and you'll see what I mean. One direction has a slightly sharper curve if you lay under the car and stare at the shape, then decide which curve is slightly sharper. Then look at the manual hand drawn diagram which is labeled "rear engine mount" but they meant "rear trans mount". It's in the w58 section and the 154 sections - identical diagram. Back and forth, you'll eventually realize it can be mounted backward (just like the drive shaft center bearing!!) and you may have done that. If so, and it created tension on that hex thing then it's feasible it explains Asterix' comment if that's jammed but this also may be because the drive shaft is jamming so hard against the trans, it it actually "lifting" it so it's not settling on that hex pin. If so, it would also be pushing the trans rearward a bit and may have created issues getting the drive shaft flange's raised center section in back by the rear diff (is that what you pounded on?).

However, you appear also to have an issue with your clutch slave. I don't see the actuator shaft at all - just an empty actuator arm cup/hole where this shaft should be sitting. So. If you have the car in gear, parking brake on and hit the starter you'll have simply used starter power to try to move the car (clutch pedal down fools the clutch start interlock and you think the clutch is disengaged). If you have the parking brake on, that's not happening, but the parking brake is now holding tension in the trans.

This is fairly speculative but I'm not convinced you have an issue. Yet. So confirm my observation on the slave shaft (picture is blurry here) and also study your black steel trans mount vs diagram. You are also missing the left rear mount bolt which is where a very important ground wire goes.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hmmm, VERY interesting!!!!!! Cool!
Well, I FINALLY got starter to engage. Was the little wire coming from ignition. Wasn't snapping/ locking in. Had to shim the clip. BUT,now fuel pumps out again. Been 7 years since blew this last head gasket. So, surprise surprise.
I REALLY do appreciate all & soon as I get fuel pump in, will proceed w/ that again. Sure pray that's the issue, so don't have to remove trans AGAIN. I'll let u know soon.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts