Supra Forums banner
41 - 60 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
As far as the transmission being apart. I had taken it to a transmission shop, because it was in gear and I didn't know how to get it out. And I didn't know how to put it in with it in gear. They charged me fifty bucks to open it up, saying there was dirt in it. They wanted to charge me another fifty bucks to put it back together. So I did it. But I believe they just open the case. Nothing more.
I did have trouble getting the drive shaft on. It wouldn't just slide on. So I used a rubber hammer to put it on. I did not have the drive shaft apart. Merely took it off the trans & differential. I had help taking it off. Seemed he knew what he was doing. I see more guys who don't, than do tho. That's why I TRY to do all my own work. .BUT I didn't put ANY match marks on ANYTHING. Which I since seen I should have. But, what can I do about that now?
I'm gonna TRY to fix the trans mount now.
sorry maybe my reading comprehension and her way of explaining things. It sounded like a transmission shop pulled the cases apart and she elected to put it back together . just pulling the tail housing of the trans and not putting it on right could cause shifting issues. She struggled putting the driveshaft on ,so I figured she might have struggled with the transmission too.

as far as the fuel pump, I’d run 12v straight to it see if it’s doa first , then would check resistor on passenger fender from there. Who knows maybe someone did 12v mod to the fuel pump with butt connectors and it’s bad connection

·
Registered
Toyota Supra Turbo 7M-GTE with R154 5-speed
488 Posts
Ya debrucer your getting me in trouble 😜 only kidding I can delete all my posts.
Looks like you’ve done that… I hadn’t finished understanding what you were teaching :(. How about taking the link to my original post and reposting them. It was interesting, but I was going to have to try harder to follow :)

·
Registered
305 Posts
Looks like you’ve done that… I hadn’t finished understanding what you were teaching :(. How about taking the link to my original post and reposting them. It was interesting, but I was going to have to try harder to follow :)
I’m thinking your transmission is gonna be good once you get some oil going through it. 5th and reverse operate of same shift rod and not really easy shifting into dry and not running

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Its not likely "stuck" shifter rods from sitting. A shifter lever gives you tremendous leverage to move the shifter rods and they dont sieze or anything close. I've jumped in cars that sat a decade or more and checked the shift pattern gear by gear with no issues. My Supra sat for 22 years before being driven. Its something else. I may never know because I'm seeing again OP hasnt participated in two days. So this feels like wasted effort with no engaged feedback from the person we're trying to help and I'm oughta here until it becomes workable. Ciao.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I was under the Supra today and thought of this thread. So the black painted tranny bracket was my comment and it looks like you have that on correctly though it's a very bad angle for me to say that. To check yourself, there are 4 bolts holding the tranny to the bracket, and 4 bolts holding the bracket to the vehicle. The centerline of the 4 bolts on the tranny should be forward of the centerline of the 4 vehicle brackets. I believe it can be mistakenly mounted the other way, but I don't think you did that.

·
Registered
1988 Supra, 7M-GE, 5 speed, removable hard top,
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Ya, trans mount CANT B turned around. Cause bolts ONLY line up 1 way.
I think it's shitty how trans shop got it in one piece. Gave it back in pieces. Obviously, only guessed on most.
Guess I'll remove trans again..Right?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Far as fuel pump, it runs when run straight to battery. Everything seems to check out so far, tho..

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Jeane - Yes, I think you're going to need to pull the trans. I also owe 2jzturbo92 an apology as it looks like he is correct.

1 - You couldn't get the tranny out of gear so you removed it and brought it to a shop.
2 - The shop opened it and said "everything's fine" and handed you back your tranny in pieces.
3 - You put the tranny back together yourself.
And here's the rough/ugly part:
4 - You did NOT check the shift pattern was working (just put the shifter handle on temporarily), you just put it back in the car, and THEN found out something was (still) amiss.

I have no real help here as the "I couldn't get the tranny out of gear" thing is a complete game changer because your thread started with "my tranny is jammed". I'm now realizing it was jammed BEFORE the tranny shop touched it. Then you simply put it back in after you assembled it, and lo and behold - the tranny is still jammed.

So, yes the tranny has to come back out IMO unless I missed something here. I strongly suggest you forget about the fuel pump and every other thing on the car. Just focus on the transmission.

It would help greatly for the folks here to understand if I'm correct in the 1-4 above because it sounds like your transmission is internally broken and you simply put it back in with no issues discovered and remedied. Is that correct?

·
Registered
305 Posts
No problem Doug
these transmissions aren’t the smoothest shifting that’s for sure,especially the straight cut reverse gears. The cases are easy enough to pull apart to inspect. Everyone has cellphone in hand,take pics !
im actually curious what’s going on with this one.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Well, the OP would greatly benefit from your expertise, so hopefully we'll get some pictures of things you can help with. They're not complicated for someone like you who's been in there, so the OP will instantly understand what's incorrect, and also be able to quickly correct. Looking forward to it - always enjoy seeing a nice solution come together for a new forum member. Jeanebop2 - you're in good hands, get 'er done!

·
Registered
305 Posts
Well, the OP would greatly benefit from your expertise, so hopefully we'll get some pictures of things you can help with. They're not complicated for someone like you who's been in there, so the OP will instantly understand what's incorrect, and also be able to quickly correct. Looking forward to it - always enjoy seeing a nice solution come together for a new forum member. Jeanebop2 - you're in good hands, get 'er done!
Ya I would volunteer my time,if she lived near me. I went through my trans a good 12 years ago. The rebuild kits with upgraded synchros and bearings were cheap back then. Then marlin crawler came out with upgraded thrust washer,bearing retainer plate and shift forks, so it came apart again . 🤣 I’ve had my transmission out of the car far to many times ,pretty much for throw out bearing issues 😞

·
Registered
Toyota Supra Turbo 7M-GTE with R154 5-speed
488 Posts
Ya I would volunteer my time, if she lived near me. I went through my trans a good 12 years ago. The rebuild kits with upgraded synchros and bearings were cheap back then. Then marlin crawler came out with upgraded thrust washer,bearing retainer plate and shift forks, so it came apart again . 🤣 I’ve had my transmission out of the car far to many times ,pretty much for throw out bearing issues 😞
I haven't searched here, so maybe it exists, but SupraMania had a forum of what tools, facilities and contact info on people who would offer other owners, particularly traveling, fellow Supra owners. Then again, it's hard to tell where people are unless it comes up in conversation. I posted there, but noone every took me up on it, so don't know how useful it might be. Just an idea.

Aside from the handle, I wouldn't assume the OP is female :) May very well be, but from the infrequent responses, I'd guess we're not "her" sole source of information either.

Oh! BTW, I think I've made it perfectly clear where I live... and I will take any help I can get!

Nothing in particular. I have a long list.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Ya I’m on the eastern shore of Massachusetts,ten minutes from Rhode island. I’ve helped a half a dozen or so Supra people over the years. I still have a good friend that I met up with from this car. We go back and forth helping each other out. Now if we can both have our cars running and on the road the same time remains to be seen 😂

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Jeane - Yes, I think you're going to need to pull the trans. I also owe 2jzturbo92 an apology as it looks like he is correct.

1 - You couldn't get the tranny out of gear so you removed it and brought it to a shop.
2 - The shop opened it and said "everything's fine" and handed you back your tranny in pieces.
3 - You put the tranny back together yourself.
And here's the rough/ugly part:
4 - You did NOT check the shift pattern was working (just put the shifter handle on temporarily), you just put it back in the car, and THEN found out something was (still) amiss.

I have no real help here as the "I couldn't get the tranny out of gear" thing is a complete game changer because your thread started with "my tranny is jammed". I'm now realizing it was jammed BEFORE the tranny shop touched it. Then you simply put it back in after you assembled it, and lo and behold - the tranny is still jammed.

So, yes the tranny has to come back out IMO unless I missed something here. I strongly suggest you forget about the fuel pump and every other thing on the car. Just focus on the transmission.

It would help greatly for the folks here to understand if I'm correct in the 1-4 above because it sounds like your transmission is internally broken and you simply put it back in with no issues discovered and remedied. Is that correct?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Okay y'all, so sorry for the delay things have been crazy. Fuel pump is done. Anyway apologize for all that. I think where I screwed up was the shifter lever. They just open the case oh, and that's what I had to put back together. But I wasn't positive how the shifter lever went in there. And there wasn't anything wrong with the transmission prior to having to replace the engine. Although it had sat for 7 years since I blew the head gasket the last time. And 3 years since I pulled the last engine. I did put a new clutch on it too since I had it apart. That I think I did that right. But I'm going to try to at least drop it down to maybe I can see if I can put that shift leaver incorrectly now. And as soon as I get to that point I'll let y'all know.
By the way, I started it for the first time yesterday, after seven years yay! And it is stuck in Reverse now. But it started. That was so exciting I love my car. I'm fixing to pull the drive shaft tonight, at least see if I can drop everything down enough to get at it. And I'll let y'all know what I find out. And I can't tell you how much I appreciate y'all. I don't know what I do without you
One more thing FYI oh, the reason I took it to the shop is cuz somehow it had slipped into gear oh, and I didn't know how to put it on the engine with it in gear. And I didn't know how to get it out. They pulled it out of gear real fast. But when he turned the shaft it made a slight grinding noise. But I didn't think about it at the time oh, it didn't have any oil in it. So that was probably why. But he said he'd check it out for fifty bucks. That's how come they even opened it. That seems to me like they should have put it back together for that price. But I wasn't going to pay a hundred bucks for them to do essentially nothing. 50 was bad enough. But I figured oh, better safe than sorry. But it turned out being sorry than safer. LOL

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Also, FYI, I am female, but please don't underestimate me for that. And I live about forty miles south of Austin. If I do have to take this transmission back out, I sure could use some help. I had the engine out when I put it on last time. But, I just maneuvered the engine so I could slide it up to it. And that worked. But I sure don't want to take the engine back out.
I guess I could rent one of those transmission jacks I guess. After all, I still need to change out the clutch on a Sonoma, too. But, gott fix my baby first.. (88 supra) I guess as long as it takes me to do everything, I could just buy one cheaper tho, probably.
Anyway thanks again y'all

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
No worries, and we're not underestimating anything - you've done a lot of quality work on this car!!!!!!

So on the shifter, you don't have to drop it to see that. With the leather shift boot and the rubber dust boot removed and the center console plate removed you can take the shifter lever out from the passenger compartment with the transmission in place. So just remove the shift lever, and if you can take a picture down there with it removed it may help us see what you are seeing. Good luck!

41 - 60 of 93 Posts