Supra Forums banner
61 - 80 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
1988 Supra, 7M-GE, 5 speed, removable hard top,
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Hey yall,
JUST noticed in book, there's a 'LOCKING BALL & SPRING', that is to be installed AFTER the shift lever housing. I never had it out, & never installed it. The shop never took it out either, I guess.

COULD THAT BE SOMETHING? Since it's supposed to go last?
WHAT DOES IT DO?

I might have (still) not put shaft & shift lever in right, THO. I wasn't clear how it was supposed to go.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Also, (sorry) does the extention housing (around sselector shaft that might b wrong) have to be gooped/sealed? I believe I did last time.

AND the selector shaft won't move w/o taking that extention housing off, will it?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
It guess y'all are tired of messing with me huh? I am real sorry for delays! I really do have a lot of other things going on 2.
I didn't know anything about 'a little in the shifter SHAFT having a lip. Prob the/an issue.

ALSO didn't know the ¹locking ball and spring" was to go last. Because it never was out. COULD THAT B AN ISSUE/ possibly THE issue??
What does the locking ball do?

I'll go take out the shifter from in car now. Looks OK tho, I think... but will send pictures when out.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
No worries, and we're not underestimating anything - you've done a lot of quality work on this car!!!!!!

So on the shifter, you don't have to drop it to see that. With the leather shift boot and the rubber dust boot removed and the center console plate removed you can take the shifter lever out from the passenger compartment with the transmission in place. So just remove the shift lever, and if you can take a picture down there with it removed it may help us see what you are seeing. Good luck!
Thanks for that....
Hope ur NOT tired of messing w/.me. Had a ton of other stuff going on, IM SPORRY tho!
BUT- could locking ball & spring be an (possibly THE issue) never was out, so I never did anything to it. Recently noticed it's supposed to go in last. Could that be problem?
What does it do exactly?
ALSO, didn't know shifter SHAFT had a "lip". Possibly wrong too.
Will send pics when get shifter off, shortly, I hope. Had to take the cover off before I can get it in, because it's in Reverse I recently found out. But I can't get it out of reverse. Weird thing is though can still turn the wheels with the car off. Don't understand that. But only in reverse

·
Registered
1989 MKIII NA
19 Posts
Don't know if this will help but I happen to have my transmission out rite now so if you need any references pictures left me know. It sounds like your throw out bearing isn't engaging the clutch correctly. Here are some pictures.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Rim Wood

Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Wheel

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
That's not why shifter won't move tho. Anyway, here's a picture, so far
Automotive tire Blue Motor vehicle Rim Bicycle part

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Sleeve Motor vehicle
round things shifter sits in, got slightly chewed when had been trying to get it to move before put shifter in. Ended up taking that cover loose to put shifter in. Thought MAYBE once I got it in, might could cram to move. But not.
Gonna drain trans 2 proceed.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Why are you draining the trans? No need to do that yet - looks like your issues are right here where your photos are, so there is no point in draining the trans at all. Can anybody help with the shifter lever install sequence? It's not covered in the manual and though I did this a few months ago it looks like something's missing to me. My spare tranny's out in storage.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Looks like the trans is in 1st,3rd or 5th gear with how far back the lever that end of shifter inserts into is positioned . If that main shifter housing is all the mechanic took off the problem must be inside the trans. Your original description sounded like the tail shaft housing was removed.

·
Registered
1989 MKIII NA
19 Posts
Are these r154 or w58s?
The one I posted is a w58. From the picture of the slave cylinder that Jean posed earlier she has a W58 as well.
I'm just trying to give some reference pictures since I happen to have a transitions laying around.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
Looks like the trans is in 1st,3rd or 5th gear with how far back the lever that end of shifter inserts into is positioned . If that main shifter housing is all the mechanic took off the problem must be inside the trans. Your original description sounded like the tail shaft housing was removed.
No, Trans is IN REVERSE.. I Started other day.

I'm sure it's the shaft that goes into / touches gears OR LOCKING BALLS.

Got a trans jack yesterday. Since everyone's busy all the time. Fixing to try.to drop it. Would have already, but starter bolts r giving me issue.(top one anyway) I'll let yall know. AAND thanks so much 4 help!!
I couldn't find ANYTHING about how to put that shaft in, exactly, b4 I did it. So, that's what I guessed on. And apparently got it wrong.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
I can't even get the drive shaft to come off. Is there a trick? I have it loose. Obviously.had it off few times. Can't remember how tho, except the last time. Which it just fell when the.motor came out. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
So, most drive shafts have a flange, which has 4 bolts and sounds like you've unbolted. They also have a "nose" that protrudes in the center to keep the shaft from falling out. Well that's not the purpose, but that is the effect. So you'll need to use a pry bar to flex the tranny/engine forward a bit on its mounts - likely 1/8" will do it to allow the shaft to drop free. Have something handy under there (chunk of wood, sturdy cardboard box, etc) to let the end of the shaft rest on so it's not hanging from the central bearing further back. Or you can move it to the side and use a piece of wire to hang the shaft off a handy bolt, etc.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
Thank you so so much! Really appreciate it. I was even considering starting the car and letting it flip off when it rotated so severely. But I knew that was not a good idea! LOL

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 · (Edited)
I just can't get drive shaft off. This is CRAZY!!! Usually it's putting things together that's harder. I tried so hard, so many things that I actually dropped the car off jack stands. AND dang thing is STILL on there. Hasn't even budged.
NEVER had issue w/ it before.. Can't believe this.
OK, guess I'll partially pull motor again tomorrow. Of course it's supposed 2 B chilly. Unless yall know anything else I might can try. ????

·
Registered
89 Turbo - 2JZGE-T VVti (build/swap in progress)
371 Posts
I just can't get drive shaft off. This is CRAZY!!! Usually it's putting things together that's harder. I tried so hard, so many things that I actually dropped the car off jack stands. AND dang thing is STILL on there. Hasn't even budged.
NEVER had issue w/ it before.. Can't believe this.
OK, guess I'll partially pull motor again tomorrow. Of course it's supposed 2 B chilly. Unless yall know anything else I might can try. ????
Might have to do with you hammering it in.
Did you try unbolting it from the diff and the ujoint brace?

61 - 80 of 93 Posts