Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a problem that I can't pinpoint. I desperately need some help.

I swapped a '91 7MGTE into my '87 NA recently. It fired right up the first time, dorve it for a while, until I went to get some food. When I tried to leave, the car wouldn't start. I checked the EFI fuse, grounds under the intake manifold, and coil pack ground. All are good. I test for spark and only the 2 and 5 coils are firing. I bought a new coil pack and put it on, drove it around and blew the stock ct26 at 20psi. I put on a 60 trim, and drove it around, when i stopped at the same food place (maybe just bad luck) it won't start again. Only 2 and 5 coils are sparking. There seems to be a backfire every now and then.

What would cause the car to run, and then not? Each drive was only about 12 miles. Is my wiring wrong, and I'm killing the coil pack? Can the CPS lose its setting and need re alignment, because it hasn't been touched since the HG job and the car ran for thousands of miles after that without a problem. Faulty ignitor only firing 2 and 5 coil?

PLEASE HELP!

·
HKS T51R
2,732 Posts
id check the wires and stuff, maybe it is bad luck lol, if it were me id stay away from that food joint

·
2,279 Posts
Check the plug wires and check all of your grounds. Run some extra grounds off of the coilpack tray.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I checked all grounds. Engine to body, under intake manifold, and transmission to body. The wires wouldn't have any effect on the coil pack firing would they? When the wires are disconnected from the coil pack, only 2 and 5 coils fire. Same thing happened the previous time. I'll try some more grounds from the coil pack tray.

ANYTHING ELSE?

BTW, Bob...it's the Burger King on 22nd and Columbus...stay away :tongue:

·
2,279 Posts
Bad grounds can cause all sorts of electrical gremlins. After you make sure everything is properly ground, check the ignitor. Make sure that is in spec.

·
Registered
240 Posts
This may sound stupid but try a different battery, cause I had that problem , replaced battery (just cause it needed a cause i wanted a new new one), problem solved.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alright, I'll re recheck all my grounds, and then the ignitor. Might as well get a fresh battery while I'm at it too. We'll see how things go. I really want to drive my car again.

·
Premium Member
2,134 Posts
I too have a similar problem...I actually have to take off my negative terminal whenever I go somewhere so my battery doesnt drain..

·
Premium Member
2,275 Posts
how does the wiring harness look? have you tryed playing with the CPS wires like moving them around and what not?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts