Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Weapon of Mass Affection
3,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

http://www.lateral-g.org
"As you know, turbos rely heavily on oil, and under normal circumstances, oil from the engine could lubricate one, or two turbos, but not eight. That would require approximately 245 gallons an hour to lubricate! We had to opt for a separate 3.5-gallon oil reservoir tank system located right behind the radiator, directly below the turbo log." The 6061 T-6 aluminum piping coming out of the turbos going to the induction box at the firewall actually radiates off the heat. There are no intercoolers. The intake plenum was designed by Imagine's Matt Pape and features provisions for all eight induction tubes to go into the engine from the turbos. These tubes basically turn the intake charge around 180 degrees, and force-feed it into the throttle body.

On one run, the engine achieved 730 HP @ 5,800 rpm, and 710 lb-ft of torque at 5,000 rpm, at 13.5 pounds max boost.
Does anyone know of a car that tops this turbo count?

·
Registered
243 Posts
those are some pretty weak numbers for that amount of work.

·
Premium Member
12,619 Posts
I can appreciate the amount of time and energy involved in that setup, but it is pretty much achieving nothing other than creating a few raised eyebrows at car shows.

A nice set of T4-based twins would allow more power potential, as well as fewer installation and maintenance headaches. I am sure he just wanted to be different.

I am a member of that website, though. ;) My AC Cobra replica is taking a "pro-touring" theme...

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
They sprung for eight turbos and all that piping without an intercooler?

710hp with 13.5 punds of boost is retarded. A good size single or some nice twins on an LS1 would have broke 1000HP, IMO.

·
Who's the Master?!
4,073 Posts
Yeah, it's called the Inciner8or. It's a pretty cool ride. I think the fact that he wanted to be different is what fueled this project. I doubt he cared much about the power. I definitely think that he should show it more often though.

BTW, Lateral-G is awesome. I'm not a member, but I've been visiting the site for like 5 years now. They have some incredible cars and project cars on there.

·
Nobody
602 Posts
i saw this car in person, i assume its locally owned, and its built incredibly well. just try and appriciate it for its engineering and not its overall power output, itll probably never see the dyno again and im sure the owner is happy with that.

·
Premium Member
12,619 Posts
ummmm, with all due respect, please show me a car that is making 700+ hp at 13 lbs. of boost!
Sure thing! Would you prefer a picture of a supercharged Viper, a GT47 Supra, or a twin-turbo Z06?

·
Registered
889 Posts

·
Weapon of Mass Affection
3,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok. Not sure how they got "tri-5" from it. Next question: What's a 2-door sedan?
It has nothing to do with doors. In the old days when cars were named how they were supposed to be - a 2 door sedan had a B pillar between a front and rear window with seating for four or more. A coupe is when the B pillar is missing, hence why the Mercedes CLS is indeed a 4 door coupe (a clever way to say sedan if you think about it).

Tri 5 is for three years of "50's" models that had the biggest impact on GM at the time.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts