Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Stupid Timing ? (not how to)

Hi all. I'm trying to set my timing. I cannot get my idle to drop when I connect the Te1 and E1 terminals. :dunno: Am I correct in assuming that there will be a noticable drop in RPM's. Also what could be the cause of this? It's a 90ish JDM 7MGTE that I swapped into my 94 4X4. I used the 7M ECU and wiring harness. Thanks for your help.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
could anybody at least verify that the idle should drop when the terminals are correctly jumped? If this is incorrect then I will just jump the terminals and set the timing that way. Thanks.

·
Registered
64 Posts
All Toyota's (pre '95) that I have worked on, timming drops by a few degrees when the Te1 and E1 terminals are jumped and so does the idle of course.

BUT, on my Supra, timming never changed??? 10* :dunno:

TPS is set spot on, that was the first thing I checked when this happened.

I have no other issues, but this bothers me aswell.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks thats been my experience as well. I be changing the plugs tomorrow so I will double check the TPS. Should be okay though. How far are you from Corpus?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Mine doesn't drop either. Timing doesn't even change.

As a matter of fact, when I first got it runing i got the timing set at exactly 10BTDC. Afer 50 miles of driving it, the timing appears to be somehting like 20 BTDC. WTF????

·
just walk away....
136 Posts
when i connect the terminals on mine the timing drops about 2 degrees, but that doesn't come with a very noticeable drop in idle speed....i'd just short the connectors and set your timing and then unplug your terminal short and check it again and see how much the ecu hunts the timing around at idle, if it's very erradic it's a sign of other problems. mine holds pretty steady at 12-13 degrees without the terminals shorted.......

·
Registered
64 Posts
Supra Blues said:
Mine doesn't drop either. Timing doesn't even change.

As a matter of fact, when I first got it runing i got the timing set at exactly 10BTDC. Afer 50 miles of driving it, the timing appears to be somehting like 20 BTDC. WTF????
That sounds like your TPS maybe set just a hair off.
Off idle the TPS advances timing to about 15*+/-

·
Be original, not a copy
861 Posts
With the engine at operating temperature and in closed loop there should be little to no idle change/ignition advance with the diagnostic terminal shorted. When shorting the terminal the ECU also holds the IAC in a fixed position. This is so that for all intensive purposes the idle speed will remain constant for the test. If you have messed with the min air bypass on the throttle body (either by messing with the PCV set screw or the throttle plate stopper screw) then you may have problems. At operating temp with the diagnotic term grounded you should idle at 650~700 (5spd turbo) with 10 degrees BTDC.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts