Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For Christmas this year I definitely want to get a sub and amp but I'm not sure exactly what to get. I just want one 12, with a 250 or 300 watt amp. I was thinking about getting a JL 12w3v2 and 250/1 amp to push it. I'm not concerned with powering my speakers because they can only handle 50 watts and my headunit is 50 watts so I can't give them any more. I don't want something that's going to be overkill, but I want it to be pretty loud with good quality. I don't want the sub and amp together to be much more than $500, though.

This is for an extended cab Nissan truck, by the way. And I would like to get it installed professionally but I am considering getting it all online for a lot cheaper and building a box and installing it myself.

Sorry if this section is supposed to be for Supra audio only. If this thread needs to be moved please move it.

·
Premium Member
5,991 Posts
If you want the most bang for your buck while going with JL subs, I would either reccomend the 12w3v2, or my personal favorite, the 12w6v2. The w6 goes for around 300$, which would leave you ~200$ for an amp. I would go with a monoblock amp since you're just powering one sub. Also, being that it's in a truck, I would try to build a downwards firing, or backwards(towards the bed) slot-ported box. :cool:

CraigK

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
Well for starts your head unit 50 watts PEAK, it's something closer to 19-23 rms (depending on the brand). So really your speakers aren't getting very much power.

Anyway for some great SQ and decent SPL I'd go with an ED12k.14 ($135) and a Avionixx 400.2 ($185) And throw in wiring (30 bucks) and a box (50 or so) giving you a Grand Total of 400 dollars.

As well just so we are clear you get the single 4 ohm version of the sub and bridge the amp so you'll get 400rms @ 4 ohms to your sub and put it in the ED recommended ported enclosure :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the suggestions. I am actualyl leaning towards the ED and Avionixx amp now because I have a feeling it would sound as good or better than the 12w3v2 and 250/1 and cost quite a bit less overall.

The problem is I have no experience installing car audio equipment. Should I try to go at it myself or take it to a professional shop like Tweeter to get it put in? (they did my speakers and headunit by the way)

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
They will probably be better quality from what I've read. The ED12k is closer to a w6 then a w3. They're excellent subs. I always perfer doing installs myself...subs are much easier to do then a headunit. If you dont feel comfortable you could have them help you through it one day like stop there and have one of the tech's help you install it. It might still cost you but that way you learn!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I found out a guy I know has done some installs so I am just going to get him to help me out with everything. I think i'm going to go with a sealed box as well, so that won't be too extremely difficult I hope.

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
If you have the extra cash then you might want to consider the ED12o ... it excels in sealed enclosures! Otherwise it's a great setup and you wont be dissapointed. If you get the K and it isn't loud enough sealed then just rebuild in a ported box and you'll get a good increase in spl.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was looking into that but it says the e12o needs about a 1.5 cubic foot box sealed and I'm not sure if I can fit that in the extended cab part of my truck. I guess I could just build it to different demensions and make it fit still.

E

·
0 Posts
Besides Elemental Design subwoofers (awesome products), if you want other choices, look at Stereo Integrity Magnum D2 12's ($300 shipped). They have awesome SQ and get very loud (still obtaining sound quality at higher volumes).

www.stereointegrity.com

1 - 9 of 9 Posts