Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
got boost???
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i just picked up a Jlw3v2....it comes with rec dimension for the sealed, and ported sub enclosures....how important is it to get the exact dimensions? my frined is taking too long to build me one...so i'm looking at just going somehwere to pick one up...but i'm not sure does it have to be the exact size that JL specifies...and whats the main difference between a sealed and ported enclosure? which would sound better in a hatchback car....?

·
Supra-NA-T...Girls -Twin
2,165 Posts
supratkfy said:
ok i just picked up a Jlw3v2....it comes with rec dimension for the sealed, and ported sub enclosures....how important is it to get the exact dimensions? my frined is taking too long to build me one...so i'm looking at just going somehwere to pick one up...but i'm not sure does it have to be the exact size that JL specifies...and whats the main difference between a sealed and ported enclosure? which would sound better in a hatchback car....?
"Better" is a relative term...meaning relative to what you like...but..

Sealed enclosure - tighter more musical sounding bass
Ported enclosure - more output, lower but sloppier sounding bass

·
Registered
183 Posts
supratkfy said:
just like what minguezCD said above, its relative. do you want the most bass possible out of your sub? or do you want the cleanest sound out of it? the manufacters rec. are usually tested and i would suggest staying close to those specs if you are unfamliar with box building.

·
got boost???
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok i'm just gonna go with the seal enclosure since JL says either one is ok in the manual....and my friend has a enclosure he found...now for enclosure size...JL recommends that a sealed enclosure should be 18x11x9. now if i have an enclosure that is smaller that would that be ok? or would it alter the bass and sound quality?

something like this would it work? http://cgi.ebay.com/10-SEALED-3-4-MDF-SUBWOOFER-ENCLOSURE-SUB-WOOFER-BOX_W0QQitemZ9719166185QQcategoryZ50568QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
since its a little larger in depth and height?

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I suggest a sealed inclosure. I just finished modifying my OEM sub enclosure to accept a 8inch logitech sub. At first, I had almost no response and the bass was all over the place. Then I stuffed the port's and area around the sub lip with a t shit......100000% improvement. It might be different with an aftermarket enclosure, but sealed is the way to go with the OEM one.

·
got boost???
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
anyone answer me about the size one?

·
got boost???
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
recommended size 18 x 11x 9

one i'll be getting is 15.5 x 12.5 x 11?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts