Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
259 Posts
Originally posted by Brittany:
I am interested in the same thing as well. I want to install 2 12's in the rear but want something that won't interfere with the Targa latches.

I have two 10's and they are loud as hell. You might not want to go with 12's. I have an awesome box in my car that Thomas Kenyon's shop built. Rear retains stock look and you wouldnt even know the subs were there unless you lift up the carpet. Thomas has some pics if you want to see them. I only have this one pic:

Jeff M

B

·
0 Posts
Okay then, maybe I should just sell the sub I have and go for two IDQ's? They are cheap and work fine.

I have a 12" Eclipse Aluminum if anyone is interested.

Brittany

·
259 Posts
Originally posted by Brittany:

I have a 12" Eclipse Aluminum if anyone is interested.

One 12 would sound great IMHO. Save the money and just put the 12 in there.

Jeff M

·
651 Posts
Lemme know what kinda box you're trying to build and I'll give ya a few recomendations if needed..

Tom Kenyon
Custom Sounds
San Antonio, Texas
210-340-4000

·
0 Posts
Im gonna be building a box to fit 2 12 Macdaddy's. The are both gonna need .85 cubic feet. I was thinking about laying fiberglass for the bottom of the enlosure and the laying some 3/4 MDF board on top. Would this be a good way to do this, or would there be a better way to do it? The bow will be in the spare tire well, and i want to re-tain my targa storage area.

[ February 12, 2001: Message edited by: Tom ]

B

·
0 Posts
I am interested in the same thing as well. I want to install 2 12's in the rear but want something that won't interfere with the Targa latches. I remember seeing the best install on a buddy of mine's friend's car out in NOVA or MD, but I forget who it was. I wonder if he's floating around on the forums.

Brittany
:D

·
Registered
748 Posts
hey thomas, got a question for ya. i just recently made a fiberglass mold of my trunk. i'm gonna put 2 10's in and the amps. what should i use for sound deadening? dynomat or some spray one? also, would i put it between the trunk and the mold?

robert

·
651 Posts
Tom,

You should build the bottom portion of the box with fiberglass and MDF. Just putting some wood at stock floor height will probablly not give you the necessary internal space. You way have to raise the floor a bit to accomodate the ol' MacDaddys. (See Jeff M's box? We built that and it has been raised about 2 inches to give it more room.)I can just say that you'll need to internally brace the hell out of the box if you are planning on putting a serious amount of power to the subs. I have my box built with about 1 inch of glass and until I internally braced the box, could hear it flex.

Robert,

I have my entire car sound dampend with Cascade V-Block. It is similar construction as the Dynamat but I feel it is easier to work. Nevertheless, I have done my entire hatch area and the rear lift up hatch with the vinyl matting they offer and it makes a huge difference. Once you remove the spare tire and all the other stock foam parts, tools, the road noise is terrible! It is very much recommended that you use some sound deadening becuase the road noise will be way too much to overcome. (It bugged the shit out of me for the first week I had to fix it!) You will be able to purchase enough to do the ENTIRE rear of the Supra for about $120. It is well worth the money regardless of the brand that you choose.

Tom Kenyon
Custom Sounds
San Antonio, Texas
210-340-4000

·
651 Posts
Robert..

Oh yea.. About the spray, do the car in as much vinyl matting as you can and THEN if the noise is still too bad, then get the spray.

I don't have any spray in my car, just vinyl mat.

It does just fine

Tom Kenyon
Custom Sounds
San Antonio, Texas
210-340-4000

·
0 Posts
How do you suggest i should brace the box, and do you have any pictures of how i should build the box. Thank you

S

·
0 Posts
Can you tell me what would be the best 12 sub for the space .I was thinking about JLaudio
i like alot of bass.. :cool:

[ February 15, 2001: Message edited by: SPEEDFRK ]

·
651 Posts
With these factors to consider, I would use the JL Audio 12 W3D2 if you have good power(like at least 2-3 hundred watts RMS) and if not use the JL Audio 12W04. It will work with the amount of space that you wil be working with and not need much power. (100 to 200 watts is sufficient)

Both will give tons of low frequency output. Easily the best for the cash IMO.

There are better sound quality woofers but none that will have the SPL that the JL line has. (For the price, remember!)

Tom Kenyon
Custom Sounds
San Antonio, Texas
210-340-4000

B

·
0 Posts
Hey Tom

Was wondering if perhaps you have any more pictures of Supra installs

Thanks
Brittany

·
651 Posts
Yes Brittany, I have tons of pics of Supra installs BUT, I have just downloaded a new internet explorer and for some reason it does not let me send pictures with my emails..

Gonna have to uninstall and reinstall it again..

Only wish there were more time in the day!

I'll try sometime tonight if my wife doesn't have some "project" for me to do.

Tom Kenyon
Custom Sounds
San Antonio, Texas
210-340-4000

1 - 20 of 38 Posts