Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Crazy Member
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To all sound experts,

I am building a suwoofer enclosure for 2 12's in the surpa. What will sound better? a sealed box or a ported box? What is the difference? and if i should port it how big should the ports be?

Bartel.

·
silvermkiv
448 Posts
Sealed vs Ported....the big debate continues ;) It really depends on what you are trying to accomplish. Ported boxes get hella loud and boomy bass while a sealed box is more tight accurate bass, in my opinion that is. Also it depends on what kind of subs you have. Some manufacturors recommend not porting their subs, others encourage it. Check the stats for the particular subs you have or are looking at getting to be sure they say ok for ports. They will also usually give "ideal" box dimensions and port dimensions as well. My subs are not recommended for ported enclosures so it was not really an option for me and I really wanted these subs so I went sealed and have been very happy. I have entered two contests recently. The first one I got 3rd for sound quality and 3rd for SPL. Second one I got 1st in sound quality and 2nd in SPL. So I feel I have a well balanced system between sounding good and gettin crankin loud ;)

You might want to visit a couple sites: http://www.sounddomain.com http://www.caraudioanswers.com

Good luck!

J

·
0 Posts
Ported is the way to go, since it is going in a dawg. I would have gone for a custom drop in but whateva. So since your making it yourself the chances of making a closed box are slim. It'll muffle more than make it sharp. So go ported and goodluck

·
Crazy Member
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for all advice. I decided on sealed.... I am almost done with the box, and will post photos when done, I have some process photos also.

I did a hell of alot of research on building boxes, and decided to go with a fiberglass and MDF together. To make sure the seal is good, first I built the box as exactly as I could, then I used both screws and glue to put whatever is removable (ie. MDF), then I used long strand fiberglass to seal it even better, and along every joining point, and finally silicon. I cannot wait to finish this thing.

Ciao.

BArtel.

D

·
0 Posts
Sorry I took so long to post, ported is generally for hatchbacks and for in trunks sealed is the best way to go... I have had many people tell me this is the only way to make your system sound GREAT, including the 98 and 99 comp. champ for FL, Jeremy at Exqizit Customs in Boca Raton. I have heard the difference and I must agree. ;)

·
« f ï z z | ë »
761 Posts
Originally posted by SupraLizard:
<STRONG>Thanks for all advice. I decided on sealed.... I am almost done with the box, and will post photos when done, I have some process photos also.

I did a hell of alot of research on building boxes, and decided to go with a fiberglass and MDF together. To make sure the seal is good, first I built the box as exactly as I could, then I used both screws and glue to put whatever is removable (ie. MDF), then I used long strand fiberglass to seal it even better, and along every joining point, and finally silicon. I cannot wait to finish this thing.

Ciao.

BArtel.</STRONG>
right on...i also like the sealed enclosures better... to me, it sounds cleaner... i'd also like to see the process photos and would like to know what you think on how your new system sounds... lateZ :)

·
Crazy Member
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well after 2 and a half weeks of pain, and 2am after work nights, I finally have sound in my supra. I was dreaming about this day for almost 2 years, since I got my first MKIV. Now all I can say is not only is it damn fast, but it also sounds amazing. Unlike many cars, the surpa does not seem to rattle, and the acoustics are quite impressive.

My system is not yet finished "visually", no carpet, no vinyl, no nothing, just the box, and the amps. Basically the sound is done.

In a week or so, I can post photos, and process pics of how I made the box, and arranged the trunk.

This was the first time I attempted to build a subwoofer enclosure, but I read about it and researched it for many weeks before starting......

Best of all.... sealed enclosure, 2 Alpine 12" 600W RMS subs.. AND THE TARGA STILL FITS :) :) :)

Ciao.

BArtel.

·
100% Stock
124 Posts
I have had bandpass/ported and now a sealed enclosure. There is no doubt what i am most fond of. SEALED. Hits so much harder and notes are so definitive, they would blend together in the bandpass and ported, to an extent.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts