Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a MKIV targa top. I'd like to be able to get a subwoofer in my car while still being able to use the holders to hold my targa top. I'd also like to avoid paying $800 for a custom box to fit in the spare tire area.

Are there any solutions out there? The stock stereo is atrocious...I really got to get that thing out of there pronto.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice setup....the targa still fits? You don't by any chance have the dimensions of your box so if I have a local shop make me a box, they will know what to shoot for?

How do you like the 2 8" vs. 1 10"?

Did you need to remove any of the carpeting underneath it or anything?

thanks!!

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh yeah, one more question, what kind of amp do you have driving both of those subs? Do you have a seperate amp for the speakers?

·
road hazard
452 Posts
DefBringer said:
Nice setup....the targa still fits? You don't by any chance have the dimensions of your box so if I have a local shop make me a box, they will know what to shoot for?

How do you like the 2 8" vs. 1 10"?

Did you need to remove any of the carpeting underneath it or anything?

thanks!!
yep, the targa still fits. i'll get you the dimensions of my wedge box tonight.

i've never heard 1 10in in the trunk of a supra so i can't compare it to 2 8in.

everything in the trunk area is intact. nothing was modified because the sub box is removable.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
toysupra1 said:

yep, the targa still fits. i'll get you the dimensions of my wedge box tonight.
toysupra, I'd really, really appreciate it! :)

Brianb, nice setup!! Probably a bit more money than I'd want to invest into my car right now, though. Custom boxes are just mega $$$ and I'm not sure how long I'll have my car. But still very :cool:

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is there no box solution for say, (1)10" sub in the spare tire area for about $200 or so?

·
Super Moderator
5,991 Posts
honestly, your kinda contradicting yourself, cause you say that you want decent bass, and a single 10"can provide mild bass, but you'll need to get a higher quality sub, and i don't think you'll find one for 200$

·
road hazard
452 Posts
DefBringer said:

toysupra, I'd really, really appreciate it! :)

Brianb, nice setup!! Probably a bit more money than I'd want to invest into my car right now, though. Custom boxes are just mega $$$ and I'm not sure how long I'll have my car. But still very :cool:
here are the dimensions of my wedge box...

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
toysupra1 said:

here are the dimensions of my wedge box...

You are my hero. :) :)

You just saved me (and others) a crapload of money and guesswork........

I'm assuming that box is big enough for the subs? Happy with the sound they put out?? I'll probably copycat your sub setup. :eek:

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
mkiv2the1320b4u said:
honestly, your kinda contradicting yourself, cause you say that you want decent bass, and a single 10"can provide mild bass, but you'll need to get a higher quality sub, and i don't think you'll find one for 200$
Its going to be very difficult to fit a 10" sub into a box that doesn't sit down where the spare is. Besides, two 8" subs is better than one 10" sub, subwoofers being of equal quality.

·
road hazard
452 Posts
DefBringer said:
You are my hero. :) :)

You just saved me (and others) a crapload of money and guesswork........

I'm assuming that box is big enough for the subs? Happy with the sound they put out?? I'll probably copycat your sub setup. :eek:
i love the bass thats given from these subs. they hit at just the right time. i highly recommend getting the 8w6 JL audio. they're worth the money. also, if you have a local stereo shop to build you a box, make sure they silicon seal the inside of the box real well so it doesn't leak.

whats great about putting subs in the trunk of a supra is the interior is so small that the bass bounces off the rear hatch window and goes directly to the driver/passenger. sounds amazing. upgrade your highs/mids also to compliment the bass.

·
road hazard
452 Posts
superchrls said:
Hey Billy. Is your box angled at the back side to sit flush on the rear seats? I can't see from the pictures. Also does it extend down to where the stock sub is too?

Thanks
Chris
it does fit flush with the rear seats. it fits snug right underneath the leather's edge.

about it extending down to the stock sub, i can't really say because my mkiv didn't come with a factory subwoofer. but i do see a space of where the stock sub is suppose to go underneath the carpet. my wedge box is placed right over that spot.

·
Ok, ok, maybe 500rwhp!!!
1,184 Posts
urmild said:
brianb, did you make that box yourself?
Yup. I have the dimensions laying around here some where...but taking the spare 'hump' into consideration...I was within specs for the subs sharing a common chamber. I'm currently planning/working/DREAMING on a new install. I've already started by buying a new headunit and cd changer. See site for more pics, archived news 2.

Most of the stuff pictured will be history soon. I was thinking of installing a single 10" in the stock location...but now I'm going to do 2 8s instead. 8s are a little easier to work with. I still researching my equipment choices.

Here's a quick list I threw together, but decided NOT to do, mainly the subs part-due to additional weight:

Eclipse 7002 Source Unit, already have
Eclipse 5083 8-disc cd changer, already have
Eclipse 2301 DSP coming soon
Eclipse 21010 EQ coming soon
Eclipse 6.5" components mounted in fiberglass baffles
Eclipse 6.5" 2 ways in the rear
Eclipse 6.5" 2 ways in the hatch w/switch (toggles between the rear speakers and speakers mounted in the hatch...for showing off purposes only)
Eclipse (2) 12" Aluminum DVC 4 ohm Subwoofers
Rockford Fosgate 800a2
Rockford Fosgate bd1500.1
PHR 175 Amp Alternator Upgrade
Sound Dampening Material EVERYWHERE
Optima Deep Cycle Yellow Top
AlumaPro's 15 Farad "C.A.P."
0 guage power wires
Misc materials

That's what I'd call my dream system...I'd use it to enter compeitions, etc. But I'm drawing up something a little more mild for now.

IF I DO shoot for the stars and start on a project like that what do you all think about it? All the work would be done by me in my lil ol' garage during my spare time/weekends.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What about a 12 inch JL. Will these dimensions be ok to use?

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have two 8" Sub box built in the stock sub location. The box cost me about $300.00. The roof should fit in there fine, I never try cos' I don't have a sport roof.

Jason Kim
93.5 TT 6Spd Hardtop BPU+

1 - 20 of 72 Posts