Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i took out the rear seats to check something out and realized there was alot of room under there. I was wondering if it was possible to but a subwoofer under there? anyone did this? thanks any replies or help would be appreciated. Oh yea wat do u guys recommend for a good quality, long lasting, good priced sub?

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Room under the rear seats? Are you driving an Impala?

There is no room under the rear seats on a Supra, that's for sure. Replacing them, that's another thread entirely.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
oh yea the speakers on my 86.5 are all 4'. I mean wtf were the guys at Toyota thinking even a piece of crap crx has 6 1/2. Is there anyway to to increase the sizes?

G

·
you can EASILY fit 6.5's in the front, once you take the 4" out you'll see they have a big boxy thing with them, take that out and you have enough room to do a dance..... i haven't changed the ones in the back yet so can't help ya there....

·
aka FredMk3
586 Posts
since I've removed my back seat, I'm planning to make a flat surface of wood where the back seats was, recarpet the hatch as well as the the surface, and move my MTX subbox on there, where the seats was. My amp is already under the hatch wood floor so it's hiden already. No more rear passenger, sound closer to us in the front and a bigger space in the back for some stuff when travelling. :)

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
FredTurbo - Do you know that subs should be as far away as you can get them? Depending on your listening preferences, of course.

If you are trying to build a system with perfect imaging, and you don't have speaker timing built into your system, then you try to place all your sound sources the same distance from your listening position.

However, most people are into more volume and greater "shake" factor. If this is the case, you want your subs as far away as you can get them, to give the bass wave more distance to form correctly. There is a theoretical limit to how far away you want them, but you'll never get close to this in your car.

Try just temporarily putting the box in the rear seat and test it out first, see how you like it.

·
aka FredMk3
586 Posts
Eventually I'm gonna try it in the new position before to see if it respond to my taste. I just can't right now has the car is in storage and my system is in my appartment. lol

Thanks for the heads up.

G

·
My little quick box!!

Hey i got 2 18 inch subs and i just built a quick box until i get my ideas together for my fibreglass idea.. I just thought of the cubic feet i needed for my subs then i went from there with my dimensions. You would be surprised what u can fit in there nicely even for my big mediem density fibre wood. Dimensions of 40 inch long 20 inch high and 11 inches wide it works nicely layed where my old seats were all bolted down i will have pics by tomorow...

·
No Kermit No!
210 Posts
Re: My little quick box!!

Insane_Mk3 said:
Hey i got 2 18 inch subs and i just built a quick box until i get my ideas together for my fibreglass idea.. I just thought of the cubic feet i needed for my subs then i went from there with my dimensions. You would be surprised what u can fit in there nicely even for my big mediem density fibre wood. Dimensions of 40 inch long 20 inch high and 11 inches wide it works nicely layed where my old seats were all bolted down i will have pics by tomorow...
And its going to weigh somewhere in the neighborhood of 200 pounds. Literally. Put that in a truck or a lexus or an '64 impala, something thats not supposed to be fast. Mk3's are heavy enough as it is. I'm not hating, this is coming from someone with 4 12' MTX Thunder 6000's in a wall behind the back seats of my pathfinder. That plus the box (which is almost 50" wide and 18" tall), plus the 3 amps (2 d-class mono sub amps and a 4 channel to drive the alpine door speakers), plus the capacitors (2) and the 2 guage wire all together weighs probably 250lbs plus. But like I was saying, its in a pathfinder, which is already about 4000 lbs and maybe 150 horsepower. Not fast, but then again its really really fucking loud. Which was exactly what I was going for.

GREG

G

·
Another thing to look at is the size of the wave being put out by the speaker. 18's havea huge (long) wavelength. The sound imaging on these will be somewhere over the hood (if you are pointing the box forward or, as it should be in a hatch, pointed at the glass). More of the sound will be outside the car then in (which is what a lot of people want). Inside the car you will have the air pressure (SPL) but not all of the sound.

A pair of 12's in a fairly light box, pointed at the glass, would be the best setup for a mk3, from a sound point of view. The wavelength on a 12 is (if I remember right) around 6 feet. Counting the bounce from the glass (if the speakers are just behind the rear seat) puts the high point of the wave (complete sound) just in front of the front seats. Makes for a much cleaner sound.

This won't make it the earth shaking system a lot of people want, but it will kill your ears in a hurry if you leave it cranks up. :)

For tight bass, run some 10's. These make a nice "kick" type of bass (think drums in a rock song) and, with a smaller wavelength, are a lot easier to setup as you can put them almost anywhere and the wave will be at peak near you.

If you want to screw with people, use 8's. 8's have almost the same wavelength as 12's, and sound much the same. So you can put 4 8's in the back (running a lot less wood and taking up little space) and get more sound then a set of 12's. This also lends itself to more interesting designs then your traditional Pair-O-Subs™.

Okay, I'm done spamming for now. :D

·
aka FredMk3
586 Posts
Pulse1...my MTX subbox is consisted of 2 X 10" with 2 x 3" mids and 2 X 1" tweeters. Do you think on the back seat will sound good in my sup. I want to have the box pointed to the front because I don't have any other speakers for mids and highs for the rears so...I didn't try it pointed toward the rear but I'm think I will loose some mids and highs that way.

·
Registered
169 Posts
FredTurbo said:
Pulse1...my MTX subbox is consisted of 2 X 10" with 2 x 3" mids and 2 X 1" tweeters. Do you think on the back seat will sound good in my sup. I want to have the box pointed to the front because I don't have any other speakers for mids and highs for the rears so...I didn't try it pointed toward the rear but I'm think I will loose some mids and highs that way.
If I were you I wouln't even bother with tweeters in the back. Your front stage is really where its at. The goal is to simulate being at a concert where all of the highs are coming from in front of you. Some will argue that rear fill is completly pointless. I'm not one of these people though. Oh, and I would also have the subs facing backward, just for proper imaging, although the difference in front and rear facing probably wouldn't be that much. Just my $0.02

·
when this baby hits 88mph
2,198 Posts
agreed about back seat location. i have a single 10" and when i move forward ontop of back seats to put my targa in it sounds like crap compared to firing backwards in the hatch.
good comment bout the 4 8's. buddy had that in bandpass box in his rx7. crap that sounded good.
rear fill? i'm all about that. but agreed a lot of ppl put too much power and too big of speakers in the rear for fill. sounds like going to a concert with your back turned.

and also- that box looked really good in onewinged's car. nice job.

dave

·
aka FredMk3
586 Posts
Old-Skool said:
If I were you I wouln't even bother with tweeters in the back. Your front stage is really where its at. The goal is to simulate being at a concert where all of the highs are coming from in front of you. Some will argue that rear fill is completly pointless. I'm not one of these people though. Oh, and I would also have the subs facing backward, just for proper imaging, although the difference in front and rear facing probably wouldn't be that much. Just my $0.02
The fact is, I already have the box, came with the car when I bought it 2 years ago, so I try to work with that. And my front setup kinda sucks, so I need mid and high from the rear.
I don't want to put any money in my sounds system, just some modifications, relocation.

BTW here's a pic of my box.

anyway thanks for any infos,keep them coming.;)

·
25psi = 14" brakes :)
2,306 Posts
No joke, turn that box around, and your speakers will "Sound" better as the waves are reflected and concentrated by the hatch back design.
I also have two sets of 4" component speakers with crossovers, and a single 10" sub in a sealed box that sits between the rear seat backs when they are locked in place, and still allows the targa to be put in back. The angle of the 10" worked out great and I actually have to run with the bass turned down or I get a headache.
The rear tweeters are mounted in the rear speaker covers pointed at the quarter glass so it is used as a sound board to reflect the high freq sound back into the car. (Works great.)
In the front, the tweeters are mounted in each door panel, and they fire across the car at each passenger, and also sound great.
The 4" mids in the stock boxes also are fine. They only get mid range sound anyway, and are loud enough for me. (But it's where you want to listen to the sound at medium to high levels where they shine. (Normal use.)

·
No Kermit No!
210 Posts
Pulse1 said:
Another thing to look at is the size of the wave being put out by the speaker. 18's havea huge (long) wavelength. The sound imaging on these will be somewhere over the hood (if you are pointing the box forward or, as it should be in a hatch, pointed at the glass). More of the sound will be outside the car then in (which is what a lot of people want). Inside the car you will have the air pressure (SPL) but not all of the sound.

A pair of 12's in a fairly light box, pointed at the glass, would be the best setup for a mk3, from a sound point of view. The wavelength on a 12 is (if I remember right) around 6 feet. Counting the bounce from the glass (if the speakers are just behind the rear seat) puts the high point of the wave (complete sound) just in front of the front seats. Makes for a much cleaner sound.

This won't make it the earth shaking system a lot of people want, but it will kill your ears in a hurry if you leave it cranks up. :)

For tight bass, run some 10's. These make a nice "kick" type of bass (think drums in a rock song) and, with a smaller wavelength, are a lot easier to setup as you can put them almost anywhere and the wave will be at peak near you.

If you want to screw with people, use 8's. 8's have almost the same wavelength as 12's, and sound much the same. So you can put 4 8's in the back (running a lot less wood and taking up little space) and get more sound then a set of 12's. This also lends itself to more interesting designs then your traditional Pair-O-Subs™.

Okay, I'm done spamming for now. :D
As a former stereo junky turned boost junky, I have to take issue with the first paragraph of this post. An 18" sub, 12" sub, 6" midbass driver all produce the same wavelengths. Period. Picture a sinewave generator, the wavelength is the distance from one peak to the next. That is dependant on the frequency. You mentioned that the next crest of the wave would be over the hood, and it might be, for a frequency around like 600hz, but that has nothing to do with the speaker its coming out of, 40hz has a wavelength of around like 60 feet. It doesn't matter if it comes out of an 18" sub, 8" sub, the exhaust of an idleing dodge cummins deisel, or my ass after a large mexican dinner.

GREG

1 - 20 of 31 Posts