Supra Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Hardcore Night Warrior
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched, nothing on that. The Relay I have uses a constant 12v that supposed to be used for the temp probe. It's supposed to be a key activated 12v that's constant. Any tips? :stickpoke :stickpoke :stickpoke

·
Registered
231 Posts
Completely unrelated but i like your sig. I can remember getting flamed for saying i had an appreciation for other cars that weren't supras.

·
Banned
2,386 Posts
i recently did a electric fan set up in my 89...i bought this box..which has a control on it ..for when the fan to kick in..20 bucks at autozone..and the temp sensor is on the radiator..car runs cool all the time...

·
Premium Member
5,301 Posts
Boosting89 said:
i recently did a electric fan set up in my 89...i bought this box..which has a control on it ..for when the fan to kick in..20 bucks at autozone..and the temp sensor is on the radiator..car runs cool all the time...
Really? What temp does it run at? What kind of aftermarket water temp gauge are you basing "it runs cool all the time" on?

Being in TX, I'd never recommend electric fans on the Supra. Next to ZERO performance difference and the car overheats like crazy. I beefed up the wiring and relays on the one I had and the car would overheat all the time. Forget about turning the A/C on. 160 T-stat, Fluidyne, etc. As soon as I put the stock fan back in, I could run the A/C in 110 degree heat in traffic and never see it creep above 190. I stand by the stock fan anyday of the week and twice on Sunday :)

·
Banned
2,386 Posts
stock guage and the fan kicks in when its needed to kick in...have no problems..."YET" .lol

·
Premium Member
5,301 Posts
Boosting89 said:
stock guage and the fan kicks in when its needed to kick in...have no problems..."YET" .lol

No offense to you man, but relying on the stock gauge to tell you how hot or cold it runs isn't a good way to judge it. The stock water temp gauge reaches the middle area of the gauge around 150 degrees and does not move again until almost 235. So your car could be anywhere in that range. That's precisely why I never paid attentio to the stock gauge. Worthless POS. It's good for two things. 1. Telling you when its warm enough to turn on the heater and 2. When the car is already overheated.

·
Hardcore Night Warrior
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
spiffoi77 said:
Completely unrelated but i like your sig. I can remember getting flamed for saying i had an appreciation for other cars that weren't supras.

Thanks, unfortunantly Sean has been away for a long time already because of that sig. Great character, too bad he left.

Trent said:
Really? What temp does it run at? What kind of aftermarket water temp gauge are you basing "it runs cool all the time" on?

Being in TX, I'd never recommend electric fans on the Supra. Next to ZERO performance difference and the car overheats like crazy. I beefed up the wiring and relays on the one I had and the car would overheat all the time. Forget about turning the A/C on. 160 T-stat, Fluidyne, etc. As soon as I put the stock fan back in, I could run the A/C in 110 degree heat in traffic and never see it creep above 190. I stand by the stock fan anyday of the week and twice on Sunday :)

Did you "construct" a fan shroud for the e-fans? Or did you have it flush against the rad? A freind of mine uses A/C and a Mustang e-fan and has no problems with it. Some ppl like it, some ppl hate it. It seems to be a give or take on the e-fan situation.

Still no suggestions on wiring?

·
Registered
942 Posts
what i did, i had mine to a toggle switch and a relay. the constant i used was a constant 8 gauge fused wire(30amps) directly to the battery. make sure to have heavy gauge wire(10-12 gauge ) leading to the fans also. on my fan in florida, i have had no problems yet. i do not have ac though, and i have a pwr radiator with no thermostat. but when im just cruising, the temps stay about 180 with the fan off. i only turn the fan on when im stopped and its only for like 60 secs at most to bring the temp back to about 180. fans work good for me, they are 1g dsm electric fans, and they can flow some air. let me know if you have qeustions.

·
Hardcore Night Warrior
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
polobai said:
what i did, i had mine to a toggle switch and a relay. the constant i used was a constant 8 gauge fused wire(30amps) directly to the battery. make sure to have heavy gauge wire(10-12 gauge ) leading to the fans also. on my fan in florida, i have had no problems yet. i do not have ac though, and i have a pwr radiator with no thermostat. but when im just cruising, the temps stay about 180 with the fan off. i only turn the fan on when im stopped and its only for like 60 secs at most to bring the temp back to about 180. fans work good for me, they are 1g dsm electric fans, and they can flow some air. let me know if you have qeustions.

Yes, the relay I have uses a manual overide that I control via a switch, however I'd like to know where a 12v key activated circuit/source is so that I can run a wire from for the temp probe.

·
Registered
942 Posts
i believe you may be able to tap into the main ignition wire comming from the ingition switch(the one used for the turbo timer). that seems to be large enough to handle the power from the fans.

·
The Wilwood Brakes Dude
228 Posts
For power to the fans the main powersource should come directly from the battery via a 30 amp fuse or one of those two big black wires coming off of the alternator will do to. Just make sure to run a fuse as close as you can to what ever source you use. I did mine off of the battery with a fuse and a diode to the A/C circut so when the A/C comes on so does the Radiator fan. Doides can be had at radio shack for 1.59 for 3 of them. The biggest ones they sell will do, solder or crimp them in line (in the proper direction) and your good to go.

·
Boost Addict
622 Posts
There's a nice write-up on installing a Taurus fan here , has a sidebar on how to do the wiring.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts