Supra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Well I got my new head gasket installed about a week ago and have been too busy driving and working to return to the board. Its great to have the car back and thanks for all of the advice and tips. Now that I recieved a nice big scholarship from UD I have some money to burn. I talked to some of my big block drag racing friends and one offered to do a complete head porting and polishing job on my 7MGE for a very very good price. HE is also enlarging my valves and shaving down the head for higher compression. He said he would try to get atleast an extra 75 HP out of my engine. Is this possible? This guy knows what he is doing. He has 2 sub 10 sec cars. Oh I'm also getting him to replace my valve stem seals while he has the head off. Well what do you think? Any more suggestion for power out of my engine? ANy reason why I should get these things done?

Thanks in advance

MK3 supra na 5 speed intake and exhuast

·
Senior
1,474 Posts
You might want to contact a member named Yonaga. He has a rebuilt mkiii n/a & might be able to offer some advice on the subject of mods,etc. I was also informed that one Dean Marcum ran a milled n/a mkiii, haven't had the opportunity to contact him on the subject, but I understand he's now turbo'ed.

Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
3rd Mark, I saw your question and vreaux728645's mention of my name. I do have a rebuild, with 1mm (.040) overbore pistons and a final head height of 115.62 mm (4.552 inches). I average about 195 PSI per cylinder, measured hot after a 3000 mile break-in. Stock gaskets and head bolts, retorqued to 65lb-ft. I don't know the actual compression, but if 156PSI is 9.2:1, then extrapolating 195 would be 10.8. The MIIV are 10:1 stock, so 10.8 is not really very high.

I bought the car new in September 1986; I didn't re-build for racing, but it's nice to have a few extra horses when you want them. Porting and polishing will smooth air flow (cooler and more of it), as will bigger valves. Be careful you don't get into valve intrusion, the lack of which is one of the Supra engine's design advantages, (and which you will never know about until a timing belt breaks or you put the cams in 180 degrees backwards). You might want to consider a MAF or VPC setup instead of the AFM, but you are now getting into a lot of money. Save up for that supercharger.

;)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts