Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard mixed things regarding the suitability of carbon clutches for street driving. Carbonetics said they work very well and are easy to use because of the lower friction coefficient when compared to metallic disks. A tech at Exedy USA said the D-core and their SB Series are not at all suited for street driving because the friction coefficient varies significantly based on temperature, and when cold the torque capacity can drop by as much as 30%. He also said that engine heat will not warm the disk(s) up to their ideal operating temp range; friction is the only way to. Tilton USA said carbon/metal clutches are horrible and behave much differently than carbon/carbon when cold. They said carbon/carbon clutches are streetable and the torque capacity doesn’t vary nearly as much.

Since these opinions vary significantly, I want to see if anyone has had experience that supports any of them.

·
T88 YOU
3,567 Posts
carbon/carbons love the track but are nice on the street too, especially compared to some of the single disc clutches. im running an rps carbon/carbon on the street and though i havent driven with mine yet, my friends rps c/c was much more slipable and smoother engaging than my single disc rps. it is true that they grab better when theyre hot but youd better be making a shit ton of power to spin a carbon/carbon clutch (twin or triple disc)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it is true that they grab better when theyre hot but youd better be making a shit ton of power to spin a carbon/carbon clutch (twin or triple disc)
Exedy says they hold slightly LESS than their non carbon clutches. A standard twinplate is supposed to hold around 500lb/ft -figure 525. That's 574hp at the wheel assuming 18% drivetrain loss. Reduce that by 30% and you're at 401rwhp . . .

·
Supra Owner Since 1996
2,723 Posts
Exedy does not have a full carbon/carbon clutch that I know of, or have installed, so they are not comparable. Plus, they don't have shit for torque capacity. I can get into details, but running any of the other three makes, (correction have never heard of anyone running the carbonetics) On the street it's like having your cake and eating it too. The exedy is the only clutch I know of that will slip when its cold. A RPS won't slip, but becomes super grippy when heated, and it loves the heat.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I had the exedy twin carbon clutch and it was f ing garbage. at 500 rwhp it slipped like a bitch and although I did make 700hp through it I pretty much destroyed that clutch in doing so. I would never reccommend an exedy c/c clutch to anyone. I am going with the tilton triple carbon for my next clutch though.

James

·
IG UPDATES @ #BADMTHRFUKR
1,936 Posts
I have the Tilton Tripple and drive mine daily. The clutch is really easy to engage But Its on or off . Makes pulling out on a hill a little hard but Not too many clutches can hold big HP like the Tilton can. Darin from Titan loves his Tilton clutch and drives his Daily also.

·
Banned
2,499 Posts
the tilton def catches you off guard though at times when it is cold, i have driven my tilton on the street ALOT, shit thats where i drive my car the majority of the time, i love the tilton, never gunna mess with anything else, this clutch by far will handle anything you throw at it. it can be a on and off switch though, especially when it gets hot. it just takes practice to get used to this clutch, but once you get it down its easy. i dont see how some people have already worn through eneough to have to replace the floater i dont beleive i have come close, but i wont know until i pull it, but the clutch still holds strong, no problems what so ever. the pedal feel from a tilton compared to any other clutch wont compare, the thing doesnt weight anything. there hydraulic release bearing system is top notch, and they did alot of research on it to make it this way. But again you need to make sure your master cylinder and everything is up to par and your fluid is good. make sure if you do get a tilton you setup your lines neatly and well, so u can bleed it. i didnt have to install a pedal stop either, my pedal engagement was right near the floor where it should be with a tilton.

Ben Y

·
Built T78 6spd
263 Posts
are there any single disc clutches recommended fo 800 ftlbs ? i have the rps 6 puck but might need a new one soon
Take a look at the hpf fermaic clutch. Good stuff for the money.

·
Stock Twins King
4,514 Posts
rps carbon clutches=garbage

ha..ha.. this is disspointing to hear since I have a brand new rps cc w/chromally sitting in my garage ready to install. I remember doing tons of research and found this set-up had the best "streetability". Even though I road race and occaisional drag racing, it was the streetabilty that I favored. I realize there is really no such thing as an "all around" clutch, but this was the best I could find. Gee, I hope I didnt make the wrong decision ~!

Stu

·
Registered
392 Posts
I have the Tilton Tripple and drive mine daily. The clutch is really easy to engage But Its on or off . Makes pulling out on a hill a little hard but Not too many clutches can hold big HP like the Tilton can. Darin from Titan loves his Tilton clutch and drives his Daily also.
How is it easy to drive if it's on/off? :1poke:

·
Premium Member
4,460 Posts
How is it easy to drive if it's on/off? :1poke:
It's not on and off. It's a bit tricky for the first 30 seconds of driving (not too bad) while the carbon heats up. The hotter it gets, the better it grips. The clutch is meant to be slipped.

·
Registered
392 Posts
What the whole import market in general needs is a carbon/carbon SPRUNG set-up. I personally am tired of unsprung clutches in the c/c market.

Something like the exedy D-CORE, but that can actually take abuse and hold high power

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
ha..ha.. this is disspointing to hear since I have a brand new rps cc w/chromally sitting in my garage ready to install. I remember doing tons of research and found this set-up had the best "streetability". Even though I road race and occaisional drag racing, it was the streetabilty that I favored. I realize there is really no such thing as an "all around" clutch, but this was the best I could find. Gee, I hope I didnt make the wrong decision ~!

Stu
I have had my RPS installed for over 6k miles, daily driven and I love it. It grips, makes funny noises, and is easy to drive. :)

·
T88 YOU
3,567 Posts
What the whole import market in general needs is a carbon/carbon SPRUNG set-up. I personally am tired of unsprung clutches in the c/c market.

Something like the exedy D-CORE, but that can actually take abuse and hold high power
that kind of eliminates the whole purpose of making a clutch that is meant to hold power. the springs to hold massive amounts of power would have to be so stiff that it would benefit you very little anyways.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts